Time to re-evaluate the Britton trade

Tony-OH

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Britton was reactivated on Thursday after a successful month-long rehab stint.  

His contract is up at the end of this year.  Any interest in a Britton reunion?   I’d imagine he’ll cost a lot less than the Yankees have been paying him.  He’ll be 34 next year.  

No

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

His contract is up at the end of this year.  Any interest in a Britton reunion?   I’d imagine he’ll cost a lot less than the Yankees have been paying him.  He’ll be 34 next year.  

No 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn't say it's a hard no, but Britton would probably make more next year than the entire 2022 Orioles' bullpen put together, and they're 7th in MLB in relief ERA. Last five years he's averaged 35 innings.

After the O'Day extension, Baez, Walker, Klein, Gregg I'd be pretty okay just never signing a higher-end free agent reliever ever. I'm still mildly disappointed by Don Aase.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The Os are going to need a legit back end option.

Britton is a guy worth looking at if he’s cheap but a lot of his numbers are down from his time here.  More importantly, he has been hurt a lot.

But he should be real cheap And would likely be on a 1 year prove it type deal.  Could be a good motivator for a guy like him who could still get one more good contract.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am assuming you think that this perceived need should be filled either via trade or FA.

I would ask you why you think the O's should spend any currency, whatsoever, on the back end of the BP? 

Also, can you define what you mean by "legit?"

28 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I am assuming you think that this perceived need should be filled either via trade or FA.

I would ask you why you think the O's should spend any currency, whatsoever, on the back end of the BP? 

Also, can you define what you mean by "legit?"

Well first of all, I don’t want to go into next season assuming the guys who are doing in the back end of the pen this year will continue to do so, especially Tate.

The Os have plenty of currency, so I’m not worried about that.

Legit meaning someone who has consistently been above average and has the peripherals you are looking for that indicate continued and future success.

8 minutes ago, cheecks said:

Tate is a good piece no doubt but Britton was an absolute stud closer when he was traded. I wish we would have gotten more back than just a solid reliever. Too bad the other two players involved turned out to be duds.

He was not an absolute stud closer when he was traded.

He was an expensive rental coming off a serious injury who had yet to reestablish himself.

When traded he had pitched all of 15.2 innings with an ERA over 3 and a FIP over 4.

Who is going to give up the farm for that?

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, cheecks said:

Tate is a good piece no doubt but Britton was an absolute stud closer when he was traded. I wish we would have gotten more back than just a solid reliever. Too bad the other two players involved turned out to be duds.

No, he was a stud closer 2 years prior to trading him.

When we traded him, he had injury issues and had some declining stats and was a rental.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Britton is a guy worth looking at if he’s cheap but a lot of his numbers are down from his time here.  More importantly, he has been hurt a lot.

But he should be real cheap And would likely be on a 1 year prove it type deal.  Could be a good motivator for a guy like him who could still get one more good contract.

Couple it with brother Buck becoming bench coach and done!  🤪

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, I don’t want to go into next season assuming the guys who are doing in the back end of the pen this year will continue to do so, especially Tate.

The Os have plenty of currency, so I’m not worried about that.

Thanks for the reply. 

I see at least 2/3 of the back end of the BP that looks legit this year. Bautista has performed well. Perez has been effective from the Left side.

Baker, Krehbiel, and Reed are worth re-evaluating. I agree an up grade might be available. Tate will likely become expensive soon. Next year is Arb 1, he made $711,500 in 2022. I like Akin in his current role.

I could make a case for Tyler Wells to go back into the BP. What's your thoughts about him in the BP.

So the potential upgrade in the BP is middle relief. How much are you going to pay to get an effective 7th or 8th inning guy? It seems to me that the analytics guys can find value at the league minimum. Why spend money here?

I do not share your view that the O's have plenty of currency. There are still a lot of holes to fill to compete in the AL East.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather bring Jorge Lopez back. Britton when he’s healthy is the superior player, but he’ll still get big money. Meanwhile, we can bring back Lopez for probably 2-3 million after the twins non tender him. 

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I see at least 2/3 of the back end of the BP that looks legit this year. Bautista has performed well. Perez has been effective from the Left side.

Baker, Krehbiel, and Reed are worth re-evaluating. I agree an up grade might be available. Tate will likely become expensive soon. Next year is Arb 1, he made $711,500 in 2022. I like Akin in his current role.

I could make a case for Tyler Wells to go back into the BP. What's your thoughts about him in the BP.

So the potential upgrade in the BP is middle relief. How much are you going to pay to get an effective 7th or 8th inning guy? It seems to me that the analytics guys can find value at the league minimum. Why spend money here?

I do not share your view that the O's have plenty of currency. There are still a lot of holes to fill to compete in the AL East.

Yea, if they want to move Wells back to the back end, that may be enough.  You still have to rely on him staying healthy though.