Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard for me to believe that Cowser has Mullins speed and range in CF.  Seem more like Hays in  a corner OF spot. 

The move of Cowser and Ortiz to AAA is significant.

He may not have the same speed but he could also be more instinctual, get better jumps, etc..also probably has a better arm.

That said, he doesn’t have to be as good or better than Mullins defensively to justify trading Mullins and putting him in CF.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard for me to believe that Cowser has Mullins speed and range in CF.  Seem more like Hays in  a corner OF spot. 

The move of Cowser and Ortiz to AAA is significant.

Trading now would be… Selling high on Santander and Tate. Selling low on Mountcastle, Hays. Mullins is somewhere in between, but I don’t think we have a true CF to replace him yet. Defense matters a lot. 

We don’t have a true replacement for Mullins or Santander(his bat). We do have replacements for Hays, Mountcastle, and Tate. 

19 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

Do you think the White Sox at least listen if we do Hays + Westburg +Jackson for Dylan Cease?  Is that enough?  Is it too much?

That doesn't seem consistent with what Elias has been doing. I doubt we target someone as costly as Cease whether it's money cost or prospect cost. 

I think 2 of Hays, Mullins, Santander and Mountcastle are traded this offseason. I could see Mullins to Miami for pitchers our analytics love which might be a guy to produce now (like a Jesus Lazardo or Edward Cabrera) along with a prospect who is a few years away like an Eder or Fulton. Not sure how much we need to add to make that work.

I think Elias would be comfortable filling CF for the time being with McKenna + Phillips66. 

Then I think we spend on someone like Jose Quintana or Tyler Anderson. 

Then you still have 1 of Hays, Santander or Mountcastle (and likely Tate) to trade to fill spots or free agency.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trading now would be… Selling high on Santander and Tate. Selling low on Mountcastle, Hays. Mullins is somewhere in between, but I don’t think we have a true CF to replace him yet. Defense matters a lot. 

We don’t have a true replacement for Mullins or Santander(his bat). We do have replacements for Hays, Mountcastle, and Tate. 

Who is the replacement for Mountcastle?   I think he is currently losing his grip on a starting role.  I can see him demoted to start next season at AAA to work on his plate discipline if he does not turn it around in the next month.   

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Jackson?  As in Holliday?

Yes, obviously you have to give up something to get a pitcher like Cease.  I am not a fan of giving him up but was just curious?  I'd love a TOR starter on this team.  Hopefully, Grayson pitches the way we all hope and it is a strong 1-2 punch.  

1 minute ago, Ceciltrav said:

Yes, obviously you have to give up something to get a pitcher like Cease.  I am not a fan of giving him up but was just curious?  I'd love a TOR starter on this team.  Hopefully, Grayson pitches the way we all hope and it is a strong 1-2 punch.  

Yea they aren’t trading the guy they just drafted #1 without getting a real look at him.

Also, I don’t see why the WS would be trading Cease.

I do think the Os trading froM their depth to acquire a top end starter is something they will and should be doing this offseason.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

I understand the interest in exploring trades, but from what I have read in this thread these appear to be lateral moves (strengthen the team in one area, weaken it in another). 

I’m wondering why at this point in the phase of the team’s projection/outlook would the O’s consider doing this? 

I would hope after looking at what this team has done (with the current & projected payrolls with what’s currently on the roster), the results that the players have gotten, and what pieces can be acquired; that the FO would be looking to build on what we have to start seriously contending for a World Series beginning next year.

IMO we should be trying to add the pieces necessary to begin title runs.  I don’t think it’s necessary to have the rob Peter to pay Paul mindset any longer. We can have/afford a top end starter WITHOUT sacrificing what is currently already a mediocre offense. 

Lastly, if what Elias said holds any weight and I hope it does, why would we want to trade away a player like Jackson Holiday? He is what is going to hopefully hold the door of contention open for a long run instead of the “window” crap that we were reduced to under the last regime.

We got bats, they got arms - seems like a good match. It would probably be easier to list the folks I wouldn't give up for Lopez which would be Rutchsman, Henderson, G-Rod, Holliday and possibly Cowser. I think he would be a great piece going forward. 

• Upvote 1