Orioles sign Jesus Aguilar to minor league contract, added to taxi squad

eddie83

• Tony-OH changed the title to Orioles sign Jesus Aguilar to minor league contract, added to taxi squad
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Interesting. Not sure how they would be able to fit him onto the 28-man roster or why. I guess in theory he could be added as a RH power pinch hit bat off the bench, but he didn't hit left-handers particularly well this year. 

He replaces Nevin as the 5th bench bat. Gunnar up a day early that’s all. 

Possible getting this deal done is why Gunnar is up a day early 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

He replaces Nevin as the 5th bench bat. Gunnar up a day early that’s all. 

Possible getting this deal done is why Gunnar is up a day early 

I'd rather add Westburg than Aquilar honestly. Aquilar provides power, but he's been hitting the ball like Mountcastle lately. Basically we added 2nd half Mountcastle with no defensive value.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd rather add Westburg than Aquilar honestly. He provides power, but he's been in hitting the ball like Mountcastle lately. Basically we added 2nd half Mountcastle with no defensive value.

Where would Westburg play ? 

I think Aguilar could start vs LHP. They could have in theory if they wanted an OF of Hays, McKenna and Santander with Ryan at 1B and Aguilar at DH. 

I know his splits are about the same but I bet they protect Stowers vs LHP and if they wanted Mullins. 

This is yet another warning to Mountcastle. He's going to lose a few ABs to Henderson (along with Odor and Urias), but if Aguilar is activated, Mountcastle may be relegated to a part-time player until he gets going again. Honestly, a break may be helpful to allow him to reset. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, wildcard said:

I can see signing him to a minor league contract but I don't get putting him on the taxi squad.   Seems like they would send him to Norfolk to get him bat going.   They don't have to add him to the roster right away.

He has 2500 ML PA.  He doesn’t need to go to AAA.

He’s either going to suck or you catch lightning in a bottle for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This.  Baseball is a game of failure, but my goodness these guys went above and beyond in that department. Productive outs shouldn't be that hard.  Watch Witt in the first inning of Game 2.  And while the two playoff games perfectly told the story of the 2024 Orioles offense, I am hopeful that national stage embarrassment provides a real learning experience and motivation for fixing what is wrong with them.  As much as I am sure it hurts to watch your own hand being broken, Cowser should be watching that AB every single day from now until next October. Same thing with Adley channeling his inner Chris Davis and staring at that 2-0 meatball like he has never seen a major league pitch before.  
    • Could fit the profile Elias likes of veteran free agents who might be willing to sign for few years at higher AAV's. I love the splitter. I'd be interested. Free agent means no posting fee, correct? Not that it matters.
    • All the talk about facing LH pitchers and needing RH bats to match up - I think it’s a bit overblown. Our approach was terrible and our guys failed to play team baseball just as much against RHP w/ platoon advantage. Guys just consistently failed to do their job.
    • I agree on both parts here. I’ve been reflecting on my love for baseball. Even the postseason helped me realize I enjoy the slow burn of the regular season.  I also am far away from MD and for me Baltimore is part of my cultural roots (both parents from the area). So in some sort of way, like you said, maybe there’s a healthy separation and more tolerance for failure. Maybe even nostalgia, lol. But I’ll take it. 
    • I don’t live in Maryland either, but I still have family that are there and most of them are more into the Ravens, yet they send me O’s stuff all the time — which really isn’t a great pulse for O’s fan expectations. I think from the time I lived there until now (which is a few decades), Baltimore is definitely more of a football town. Maybe my family does reflect the times? As for OH and representation, that’s a fascinating question. To me, the OH feels like the place is generally a group of the hardcore of the hardcore baseball fans, with some part timers mixed in. The differences tend to break on personality types (cynics, optimists, realists — and a handful of comedians). If Elias only tweaks a couple things and doesn’t make any fundamental changes (like maybe drafting more pitchers) or pretending nothing can be done about RISP — then any glow about the rebuild will truly fade, at least in my house. 
    • The lack of velocity will be issue I think in majors at his age but the secondary pitches must be very good.  It is interesting that in Japan the splitter is like the cutter/sweeper is in MLB.  It seems Asian league goes more for the up and down movement while MLB pitching strategy is the lateral movement of pitches.  
  • Popular Contributors