8 “easy games” left

Sports Guy

After todays game vs Cleveland, the Os come home for a 10 game homestand which starts with Oakland.

After the homestand, the Os head down to DC to play the Nats for 2 games and a few days later return home to play Detroit.

Thats 8 games against teams that are a combined over 100 games under 500, with each of them being at least 30 games under 500.

It seems imperative that they win at least 6 of these games.  They rest of the month is vs Houston, Boston, Tor, NY and Toronto.  

That doesn’t look as daunting with Boston struggling but overall, those won’t be easy games to win.  They have to take advantage of the team garbage teams and pile up the wins as much as possible.  Any loss to these teams will feel bigger than it is.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It seems imperative that they win at least 7 of these games.  They rest of the month is vs Boston, Tor, NY and Toronto.  

You're missing Houston in there.

I think "expecting" a team to go 7-1 against any set of MLB teams is not realistic.  I'd be very happy with 6-2 against those 8, but who knows.  We're 1-6 combined against DET and OAK this year.

Edited by glenn__davis

7-1 will be tough. Whatever happens it's important to stay within a game or two of TOR and we'll have a chance. We have six games with them and currently own the tie breaker. Beating TOR is our most likely path into the playoffs. Also we were an "easy" team in 2011.  These are all MLB teams so let's temper our expectations. Of course, I am rooting for 8-0.

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You're missing Houston in there.

I think "expecting" a team to go 7-1 against any set of MLB teams is not realistic.  I'd be very happy with 6-2 against those 8, but who knows.  We're 1-6 combined against DET and OAK this year.

I meant to type Houston and just realized I meant to say 6, not 7.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There are no easy games.  The 2019 Orioles, loser of 108 games, won 15 games against playoff teams.

Thank you capt obvious.  Thus why easy games is in quotes.

Doesnt change the point though..they have to take advantage of those games.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

7-1 will be tough. Whatever happens it's important to stay within a game or two of TOR and we'll have a chance. We have six games with them and currently own the tie breaker. Beating TOR is our most likely path into the playoffs. Also we were an "easy" team in 2011.  These are all MLB teams so let's temper our expectations. Of course, I am rooting for 8-0.

We have 10 games left against the Jays. If we win 7 of those 10, I think our chances will be good.

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're welcome, Private Grumpy!

I love it how a guy starts a thread with a thesis that amounts to "losing games will reduce our chances of making the playoffs" and then refers to a longtime respected poster with no sense of irony as Captain Obvious. 

I also wonder how that's not a violation of Rule 5 on name calling but perhaps a mod can explain. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would not say that winning 6 of 8 is imperative.  But, it will certainly make our job easier if we do.  

At present we are on an 85 win pace, and 85 wins won’t make the playoffs.  We are going to need to be at least 2-3 wins better than our current pace.  Six wins in eight games against three teams playing .365 ball is about one more win than “expected.”  Then we’d still need to pick up 1-2 more than expected against the big boys.   

Let’s not forget that we went 1-3 against Oakland and 0-3 against Detroit earlier this year.  That looms pretty large now.  If we’d gone 4-3 in those games we’d be in playoff position now.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I love it how a guy starts a thread with a thesis that amounts to "losing games will reduce our chances of making the playoffs" and then refers to a longtime respected poster with no sense of irony as Captain Obvious. 

I also wonder how that's not a violation of Rule 5 on name calling but perhaps a mod can explain. 

I’m not a mod, but it wasnt of malicious intent.  If it continued or got worse than that, then someone usually steps in and gives a warning. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It’s a joke, thus why I laughed at his response to me.  I know your favorite pasttime is trolling me and then crying to Tony because “I’m being mean” but you will just have to get over it.

Edited by Sports Guy