Luis Almeyda, 16-year-old Dominican shortstop could sign for upwards of $2 million w/Orioles

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Even if this kid does not pan out.....its still a great sign for the Orioles.   Finally getting into Latin America big.   Something we have bitched about since I started on the OH in 2005.   

Elias......you got to love  him.  

The amount we have paid our top signees has been increasing over the last three years.  But in my opinion, spending a lot of money on a player doesn’t impress me unless that player proves to be worth the money.  Anybody with a big checkbook can throw money at a player.   I want to see them signing players who are good, regardless of what they’re paid.  So yea, it matters to me if he pans out.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The amount we have paid our top signees has been increasing over the last three years.  But in my opinion, spending a lot of money on a player doesn’t impress me unless that player proves to be worth the money.  Anybody with a big checkbook can throw money at a player.   I want to see them signing players who are good, regardless of what they’re paid.  So yea, it matters to me if he pans out.   

Yes we would all much prefer good players to expensive busts.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You seem to ignore my point.  Of course I want to see him pan out.  I am just glad we are finally opening up the checkbook and trying our hand at Latin players.  

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's always interesting to see if the best players are the 1.3M (Basallo), 1.2M (Hernandez), 1.7M (Tavera) or this kid over 2M compared to signing a bunch of 500K to 50K guys and coming up with Bencosme, Estrada, types.

20 hours ago, Gurgi said:

You seem to ignore my point.  Of course I want to see him pan out.  I am just glad we are finally opening up the checkbook and trying our hand at Latin players.  

I understand that point.  I’m simply saying that spending our allotment, or getting a few guys in the higher end of the bonus pool, is a good thing but I’m past the point where that excites me.  I’ll be excited when an international signee performs well enough to make our top 5 prospects and our top 30 is dotted with several international signees who are playing full season ball.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I understand that point.  I’m simply saying that spending our allotment, or getting a few guys in the higher end of the bonus pool, is a good thing but I’m past the point where that excites me.  I’ll be excited when an international signee performs well enough to make our top 5 prospects and our top 30 is dotted with several international signees who are playing full season ball.  

Who has been our biggest success in the last say 15 years in terms of signed as an amateur, homegrown international player? Probably Jonathan Schoop right? I guess you could consider Wei-Yen Chen, but I think that's different as he had plenty of experience in the Japanese leagues.

3 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Who has been our biggest success in the last say 15 years in terms of signed as an amateur, homegrown international player? Probably Jonathan Schoop right? I guess you could consider Wei-Yen Chen, but I think that's different as he had plenty of experience in the Japanese leagues.

Schoop by far.   There really isn’t a no. 2.  Eduardo Rodriguez was our signee, but we traded him.  

We weren’t the team that signed Felix Bsutista originally, but we did sign him after Miami dumped him while still in the DSL.  So maybe he counts.   

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:30 PM, Frobby said:

I’ll be excited when an international signee performs well enough to make our top 5 prospects and our top 30 is dotted with several international signees who are playing full season ball.  

Fingers crossed we're 12 months from that. Quite possible that Bassallo pops big next year and looks like a top 5 guy. We can only hope.

We're starting to see some intl guys littered in our top 30 already, so maybe we really are only 12 months away from getting your wish.

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Fingers crossed we're 12 months from that. Quite possible that Bassallo pops big next year and looks like a top 5 guy. We can only hope.

We're starting to see some intl guys littered in our top 30 already, so maybe we really are only 12 months away from getting your wish.

I agree Basallo looks like the most likely candidate so far.  I know we have some guys in our top 30 now, but they’re really just DSL/FCL guys who we paid a lot of money and haven’t faced good competition yet.  That’s why I said “who are playing full season ball.”  Maybe Pinto and Benscome fit that category now.  I’d like to see 6-7 guys that level or better.