Should we bring Trey back?

Big Al

15 hours ago, vab said:

I don't think he would even come back with that LF wall. I know I wouldn't. 

What’s, the difference, so long as they pay you the most money?   Trey’s going to have at most one contract that’s longer than two years, if any.  Might as well goes where the money takes you, especially if it’s to a team you’ve played for and enjoyed it.  

That said, I doubt the O’s will pursue him aggressively.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d look at JD Martinez if we do decide to bring in a COF/DH vet bat. Plus he kills us. Depends on how close Cowser is, but LH SP kills us. 

Martinez just turned 35, didn't play even an inning in the field this year, and is coming off his worst full season hitting in a decade.  And he's a RHH who'd be coming to the new OPACY.  Isn't he an older version of Trey Mancini?

55 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Martinez just turned 35, didn't play even an inning in the field this year, and is coming off his worst full season hitting in a decade.  And he's a RHH who'd be coming to the new OPACY.  Isn't he an older version of Trey Mancini?

I would like JD. Would have to move Santander is the issue. Has great up the middle/RC approach. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would like JD. Would have to move Santander is the issue. Has great up the middle/RC approach. 

I'd rather keep Santander.

The only old dudes I want to pursue are SP that we know are studs. Other than that, youth movement.

And Trea Turner if he's considered old. :D

Edited by spleen1015

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

.708 OPS when a LHP starts, .692 when a RHP starts.   And I’m pretty sure I heard the other day that were 27-19 vs. LH starting pitchers.  We’ve now had 48 games against LH starters so maybe it’s 27-21 now.  

That’s mainly due to hitting off the bullpen and pitching. 

P-B                         PA 

OPS  R-R  .674            2188

OPS R-L .747             1914

OPS L-R   .692           1306

OPS L-L  .573              316

Edited by eddie83

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say we have an organizational surplus of infielders, but we do have more than 4 extremely talented and projectable infielders at the big league and upper minor league levels. So to me, 1b is the position that any good infielder would be able to play with a spring training spent learning the nuances. You gotta assume they have the footwork and athleticism to play there, and probably a plus arm fwiw (cutoffs or the rare throw across the diamond). Yes, you traditionally want a big bat at the CI/CO spots, but I'm much more concerned with team defense and team OPS than what the individual positions are contributing. 

Going into next year, we have Mountcastle, Vavra, Stowers, Cowser, and Westburg at a minimum. I'm not sure I want to put Rutchman or Santander in that position; just let a rest day be a rest day for those guys. I wouldn't waste Henderson's defense at 1b.

34 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I'd rather keep Santander.

The only old dudes I want to pursue are SP that we know are studs. Other than that, youth movement.

And Trea Turner if he's considered old. :D

I just don’t think this club spending money is going to be huge deals to FA. To me significant spending is signing Adley and Gunnar long term. I see them being willing to spend short term at higher costs.  Not sure what arms would fit that criteria.