2nd Catcher Upgrade Needed

sportsfan8703

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We were 60-47 in games Adley started. 23-32 when he didn’t start. 

Just to be clear about this, Adley only started 84 games at C.   He started 23 games at DH.

in games where Adley started at C, the O’s went 50-34.   In his 23 starts at DH, they went 10-13.   So, that’s 33-45 in games where Adley didn’t start at C.  16-24 before he joined the team, 17-21 after he joined the team.   

Adley also pinch hit in 6 games and the O’s went 3-3 in those.  

We need a RH bat. We just simply do. Here’s my thinking is that I’d rather have Contreras for $15-17 million than Mancini/JD Martinez type, because Contreras would allow Adley to not have as many days completely off. It’s workload management. Or like a RB 1A/ RB 1B in the NFL. Adley would add so much playing 20-25 games at 1B then Mountcastle. Especially considering Adley is a SH. 

I think it’s worth to pay Contreras the extra $5-7 million more than a Mancini/JD Martinez, because we get to maximize Adley’s offensive game. 

Are we trying to win the division or a WC spot?  Contreras allows us to maximize Adley. No other FA out there allows that. Plus it helps us versus LHP that we struggled against. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We need a RH bat. We just simply do. Here’s my thinking is that I’d rather have Contreras for $15-17 million than Mancini/JD Martinez type, because Contreras would allow Adley to not have as many days completely off. It’s workload management. Or like a RB 1A/ RB 1B in the NFL. Adley would add so much playing 20-25 games at 1B then Mountcastle. Especially considering Adley is a SH. 

I think it’s worth to pay Contreras the extra $5-7 million more than a Mancini/JD Martinez, because we get to maximize Adley’s offensive game. 

Are we trying to win the division or a WC spot?  Contreras allows us to maximize Adley. No other FA out there allows that. Plus it helps us versus LHP that we struggled against. 

I want Adley to catch every game behind the plate possible.  120+ would be my goal.  That's when the O's were best this year and I would guess going forward.  So Contreras would play 40 games at catcher and 80 games at DH?  Plus some time at 1B.  Adley would play maybe 30 games at DH.  Does this mean Santander is traded or is he full time RF? 

I would rather split the offensive upgrade to backup C, corner OF upgrade, and guy who mashes LH (probably also a COF/1b/DH.  Seems like w/ signing Contreras there are too many DH at bats needed, plus the usual DH at bats to rest other hitters.  I think Contreras will cost $20 mill/yr at a minimum.  He's the only elite C available in free agency.

So we need a RH bat, but we really don’t need a bat in the OF or at 3B, 2B, SS. So why pay FA bucks for a 1B/DH type that robs us of versatility. Contreras would add to our versatility. Helps versus LHP, and doesn’t make us so reliant on Mountcastle. Gives us a vet bat and OBP. Plus leadership. 

Catcher - AR and Contreras 

1B - Mountcastle, AR, Contreras. 

DH - Santander, AR, Contreras, Mountcastle 

The young bucks in the OF/IF would just get days off depending on splits. 

Contreras allows us to have positional flexibility at C/1B/DH, while still being able to run out premium MOO bats at all three positions. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley will catch 120ish games, give or take.

Adding everyday players and TOR guys is far far more important than any part time player for that many games.

Sure, but other than SP and 2nd base, where do you expect them to sign someone?  Unless they do some trades I don't see them signing any in the outfield.  Cedric starts, no question.  Santander starts.  Hays is questionable, but with Stowers, McKenna and Cowser I doubt we add any outfielders unless we lose one or two.   Same as for 3rd and ss, we are covered with Henderson for sure.  And between Mateo, Uriah, Westburg and Vavra I'm not sure we add to that mix.   1st base is interesting, and we could sign someone there if we are ready to give up on Mountcastle.  But I think it more likely one of the good young hitters is tried there first. So really backup catcher is 3rd on my list of who I reasonably expect them to add from outside the organization.

17 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Sure, but other than SP and 2nd base, where do you expect them to sign someone?  Unless they do some trades I don't see them signing any in the outfield.  Cedric starts, no question.  Santander starts.  Hays is questionable, but with Stowers, McKenna and Cowser I doubt we add any outfielders unless we lose one or two.   Same as for 3rd and ss, we are covered with Henderson for sure.  And between Mateo, Uriah, Westburg and Vavra I'm not sure we add to that mix.   1st base is interesting, and we could sign someone there if we are ready to give up on Mountcastle.  But I think it more likely one of the good young hitters is tried there first. So really backup catcher is 3rd on my list of who I reasonably expect them to add from outside the organization.

They need 2-3 new everyday bats, at least one starter and one reliever.

Back Up C isn’t anywhere on the list of things that actually mean anything significant.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Back Up C isn’t anywhere on the list of things that actually mean anything significant.

What type of reliever are we talking about?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok then.  Love to know where you think those 3 everyday at bat players will play.  Unless we trade some guys or give up on others,  there isn't enough spots.  2nd base is a clear need.   Maybe first.  After that I don't see it happening.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well this team isn't adding $100 million to next year's payroll.  You might want to cheer for the Mets or the Dodgers.  If the O's add 1 above average starter and 1 good MOO hitter plus a couple of role players I will be happy.  Plus the whole point of building a farm was to let the young guys play when they are ready. 

Don't get me wrong.  I personally would move on from Hays, Mountcastle and Urias.  I'd sign/trade for a TOR pitcher, another solid SP, a masher for first, a solid 2nd basemen, and someone good on a short deal for ss/3rd, opposite wherever you play Gunnar.  I'm not sold on Mateo, I think that hot streak gave us all false hope. The bat just isn't good enough imo.

But that's what I'd do.   I don't think Elias makes that kind of sweeping changes or gives up on some of those guys. 

Edited by forphase1
Spelling

59 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Well this team isn't adding $100 million to next year's payroll.  You might want to cheer for the Mets or the Dodgers.  If the O's add 1 above average starter and 1 good MOO hitter plus a couple of role players I will be happy.  Plus the whole point of building a farm was to let the young guys play when they are ready. 

Who said anything about adding 100M?

And part of the point of the farm is that you gain assets to move in trades.