Correa opts out…should the Os pursue him?

Sports Guy

Correa in our lineup slots everything in working order and gives us the length that we need to be a viable playoff offense. We would have Mullins, then some combo of Henderson/Rutschman/Correa followed by Santander and Mountcastle in the 5/6 holes where they belong.

If we add Rodon to the top of our rotation, he is the ace to plug up top in the big series that can go toe to toe with the other team's #1. 

I know it's a long shot a best, but can I dream a little?

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

He's peaked (28) and has only managed to top 500 ABs in three of eight big league seasons. And do you really want to have to play a former SS at DH and/or 1B in the latter years of the contract when he loses his range? We shouldn't be giving seven year deals to ANY free agents let alone Carlos Correa. 

I don’t really want us to chase any shortstop, but I’d much rather have Correa at 7/$210 mm than Turner at 11/$300 mm.  He’d only be 34 at the end of that contract.  Turner will be 40.   

• Upvote 1

Most offseason rumors from even the most trusted sources are either wrong or bluffs from teams/agents. I think we should be careful about posting claims from sub-10k follower, anonymous accounts with no track record named "Mr. Beisbol von Hotstove" and the like. That is, unless they're saying we're offering a MOO bat a WOW offer at the halftime of a Ravens game.   

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Excuse me Sir! Not making anything up. 

Not you. The person posting it. 

The number of followers someone has means nothing in terms of their intelligence. That said no insider has info over the big boys. This is not a legitimate “insider.”  Who are they? What is their name? What reporter would not want their name out there to break a story first? He has no website. 
He claims to have an NL source? The Mets top vendor is his neighbor?

Yesterday I see he said the Twins and Orioles were top two on Correa. Now it’s Giants and Orioles. 

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

He's peaked (28) and has only managed to top 500 ABs in three of eight big league seasons. And do you really want to have to play a former SS at DH and/or 1B in the latter years of the contract when he loses his range? We shouldn't be giving seven year deals to ANY free agents let alone Carlos Correa. 

The backend of the deal won't be ideal and he will probably have to move off of short, maybe to third? Maybe when Holiday is ready?

But no big time free agent contract in today's game is ideal. It's the cost of doing business. 

Signing Correa (and Rodon for that matter) does not prevent us from doing a single thing moving forward. AND it makes us MUCH better now right now which is what I am interested in. If Correa was on our team, he would have had the best OBP, OPS, and WAR on our team last year.

4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Carlos Baerga is now saying that Giants may be signing Aaron Judge and Carlos Correa. Possibly announced tomorrow.

I would love this if it happened. Cashman would sink the Yankees even further by panicking to fill the Judge void with overrated and overpriced veteran hitters of some sort (probably trading more prospects like he did with the Gallo trade).