Can you name all 58 Orioles from the 2022 team?

Moose Milligan

27 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

33/58. Should have probably had a few more. Apparently I blocked out the fact that Tyler Nevin played nearly 60 games for us 🤮

Same! He had no memorable plays, skills, or personality traits, so even though he was on the team most of the year I completely forgot him. Glad someone else here did as bad as me :)

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is great so many players get the chance to experience playing in the majors and get the lifelong benefits afforded those that have.

It’s very nice for them personally.   Though I think the shuttling back and forth between AAA and the majors is pretty stressful, which is why the new CBA limits how often a team can option a player during a season.  

As a fan, I liked it better when rosters were more stable.   But it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s very nice for them personally.   Though I think the shuttling back and forth between AAA and the majors is pretty stressful, which is why the new CBA limits how often a team can option a player during a season.  

As a fan, I liked it better when rosters were more stable.   But it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  

It seems largely unnecessary to me.  Too much overthinking.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of it is shuffling guys back and forth on the back end of the bullpen to keep the workloads reasonable.

Is that necessary? 

It is necessary in the context of 30 teams who all shuffle players back and forth to AAA on a regular basis so as to essentially have a much larger pitching staff, as it allows everyone to throw max effort all the time and most pitchers are available to pitch almost every day.

But in a larger "can we play we play baseball without this, and will it have a large negative impact on the game?" Of course it's not necessary in that sense.  The 1983 Orioles used 14 pitchers all year and the world was just fine.  In the 50s and 60s the Orioles used about 15 pitchers all year.  The 1874 Boston Red Stockings used two pitchers all season, they went 52-18-1, and base ball was the most popular team sport in the country.

Baseball would continue just fine with essentially any number of pitchers per season.  People and organizations adapt.  So it's up to the rulesmakers to figure out what's best for the entertainment value of the sport.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is great so many players get the chance to experience playing in the majors and get the lifelong benefits afforded those that have.

Is that more or less important than the millions of baseball fans having recognizable players they can form a more lasting fan relationship with?  Would the 1983 Orioles have been more/less/same enjoyable if they'd had six times as many Don Welchels and those guys had taken innings from Boddicker and Tippy and Stoddard?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

This got me curious how many players other teams used.   The playoff teams:

NYY 54

TOR 51

TBR 61

ClE 50

HOU 45

SEA 59

Great Orioles teams of the past:

1966 34

1969 30

1970 32

1971 31

1973 33

1974 32

1979 34

1983 37

1996 45

1997 39

2012 52

2014 44

2016 47

The most the O’s have used is 62, in 2021.

Honestly, this is one aspect of changes in the game that I don’t really like.

The 1872 Baltimore Canaries used 12.  Cherokee Fisher was both the change pitcher and a reserve OF/3B.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1872 Baltimore Canaries used 12.  Cherokee Fisher was both the change pitcher and a reserve OF/3B.

I’m just happy to know that Baltimore once had a team called the Canaries and a player named Cherokee.  Why Canaries?   They are not even remotely native to Maryland.  It’s like calling your basketball team the Utah Jazz — how ridiculous would that be?