Orioles Off-Season Outlook per MLBTradeRumors

NCRaven

Doesn't even mention the possibility or give lip service to the idea of locking up guys like Adley for multi years, Braves-style.

Is that because they think there's  no chance that it will happen, or is that because they are primarily focused in this article on players we might deal or acquire?

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Doesn't even mention the possibility or give lip service to the idea of locking up guys like Adley for multi years, Braves-style.

Is that because they think there's  no chance that it will happen, or is that because they are primarily focused in this article on players we might deal or acquire?

Yeah it does.  "That should keep Rutschman in Baltimore through at least 2027, though an extension could always lengthen the relationship and would be one way of spending aggressively."

24 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Interesting piece, though they really lost me when they suggested that resigning Aguilar made some sense....

That part (just after them thinking Mancini was our 1B) had me questioning the write-up too.  But it did finish with a dose of reality that things can go any number of ways, there's flexibility, but we'll have to wait and see.  It felt like they have a little more optimism that the O's will actually use some payroll flexibility than we have in the past few years.

I think many years Fangraphs Ben Clemens does something where he tries to guess "open payroll" for all 30 Clubs, based on their next year commitments, traditional spending levels, etc.

We'll start to get answers in November, but so much of what is or isn't a reasonable move is is Elias coming at the offseason with $10mm or $50mm in room.      As Elias said understandably in his wrap up presser, he doesn't want that advertised.

Beneath the elite, Senga, Heaney, Eovaldi, Carrasco, Kluber, Stripling, Taillon, Bassitt, Manaea, Ty. Anderson, Wacha, Rich Hill, Taijuan, Clevinger and Syndergaard are 15 guys who are going to find jobs the next few months who seem to me above the Jordan Lyles-Kyle Gibson-Zack Greinke-Dylan Bundy line.    Is Elias going 0-for-15 or not?

For me will be bad news if BAL lacks the wherewithal to pay the Going Rate and win a bid for one of these better options.    I am kind of hoping the $$$ is there for two so all the trade ammo is intact in July for somebody better than Pablo Lopez.     Something like Eovaldi-Manaea-Grayson-Bradish-Kremer starting the first five games next year would be nice.     Getting one of them early in the offseason also improves Elias' leverage in any later trade talks.

• Like 1

I think Elias already hinted that he is more likely to trade prospects for players than sign someone to a big contract.   I'm not expecting the Orioles to be seriously in the running for Verlander or Rodon.  Perhaps a 2nd tier starting pitcher but I think they are more likely to trade for a Pablo Lopez type.   Perhaps someone better.    It's possible that Ortiz/Norby/Mayo/Hall are all available chips.   I think the current plan is Henderson 3B, Mateo SS, and Westburg 2B.    

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Something like Eovaldi-Manaea-Grayson-Bradish-Kremer starting the first five games next year would be nice.     

That rotation sounds great to me. And considering how well Eovaldi has consistently pitched against us, it would be nice to have him on our side for a change.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:04 PM, rm5678 said:

That rotation sounds great to me. And considering how well Eovaldi has consistently pitched against us, it would be nice to have him on our side for a change.

I'll take Bassit over Manaea, just more for the consistency.  But I do like Eovaldi.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, forphase1 said:

Interesting piece, though they really lost me when they suggested that resigning Aguilar made some sense....

Let's not forget that MLBTR is a site that was started by a guy living in his mom's basement, regurgitating trade rumors that were posted elsewhere.  They have no real connections to FO sources in the game and their guesses are probably as good as any of ours.  

I will tip my hat, it's a good lesson that if anyone wanted to start a site where you could aggregate information and do a half-assed job of passing it off as something you heard and probably make money through some google ad revenue, it can be done.  But I don't believe this site has any "experts."

I mean, if they think re-signing Aguilar makes sense, that's all you need to know about the depth of their knowledge.  Aguilar is going to be lucky to be in the majors at all next year, let alone being looked at as a player that a team should be looking to sign.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, wildcard said:

I will be very surprised if Elias signs any FA that gets a Qualifying Offer.  I don't think he would give up the draft choice that goes with that.

I'm not so sure.  I know Elias loves his picks, but I bet Elias loves his picks a little bit more if they're closer to the top of the round.  I think he could be willing to part with one since we'll be picking lower.  But I can see your point, too.  

21 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I'll take Bassit over Manaea, just more for the consistency.  But I do like Eovaldi.

I don't get the love for Eovaldi.  That's a guy who has some nasty raw stuff and I've always felt like he should have been a much better pitcher than he's been.  He's had some good years, but his career ERA is over 4.00 and his career WHIP is 1.32.  For the right price, I guess he'd be okay but I've always thought he's a guy that's never reached his true potential.

I'd take Bassit, too.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1