SP Trade Targets Compared

Aristotelian

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He's a great player and makes us better, no doubt.

Trading a huge package of players for him for one year is a terrible idea.

Giving him a 10-12 year deal for 35-45M when most of the time will be after the age of 30 and he has already had a major arms surgery is just a poor decision.

And in this scenario, you are saying to do both. 

I didn't say anything about an extension. I agree, I would not go as far as Holliday and I don't think they would accept deals around Cowser/Hall. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Giving him a 10-12 year deal for 35-45M when most of the time will be after the age of 30 and he has already had a major arms surgery is just a poor decision.

'Huge' is relative and in the eye of the beholder.  But my thoughts on trading away prospects is pretty conservative for us (a small/mid-market team).  But the argument for making a big move now should be on the table.  Is there a bigger whale available?  Maybe the one-way player deGrom.  The list stops there.

Ohtani is easily a top 5-10 SP and a top 15-20 bat (maybe higher).  $30-35M/year seems to be the going rate for a top 5-10 SP.  And $10-15M seems like chump change for a MOO bat plus an extra bench spot.  The only piece I would balk at is the 10-12 year deal.  But a 4-5 year deal?  It's a reasonable idea.

20 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

'Huge' is relative and in the eye of the beholder.  But my thoughts on trading away prospects is pretty conservative for us (a small/mid-market team).  But the argument for making a big move now should be on the table.  Is there a bigger whale available?  Maybe the one-way player deGrom.  The list stops there.

Ohtani is easily a top 5-10 SP and a top 15-20 bat (maybe higher).  $30-35M/year seems to be the going rate for a top 5-10 SP.  And $10-15M seems like chump change for a MOO bat plus an extra bench spot.  The only piece I would balk at is the 10-12 year deal.  But a 4-5 year deal?  It's a reasonable idea.

He isn't even going to listen to a 4-5 year proposal.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Its possible Ohtani won't ask out and its just baseball conversation.    But with Arte dabbling in the Sales market, that roster, it'd be easily understandable to me if Ohtani wanted something else in 2023.

Astroball science is going short term with awesome arms, he fits those parameters.    Practically speaking, despite the lack of 10/5 rights, he'd get input.     Whether this winter or July if LAA keeps him and they flop again, Elias should get his bid in so long as his brand is sturdy enough the player doesn't object to the concept.

I'm a little lost on your combo of "we have to improve the top of the roster" but also that trying to acquire Great Players doesn't make sense.     

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Its possible Ohtani won't ask out and its just baseball conversation.    But with Arte dabbling in the Sales market, that roster, it'd be easily understandable to me if Ohtani wanted something else in 2023.

Astroball science is going short term with awesome arms, he fits those parameters.    Practically speaking, despite the lack of 10/5 rights, he'd get input.     Whether this winter or July if LAA keeps him and they flop again, Elias should get his bid in so long as his brand is sturdy enough the player doesn't object to the concept.

I'm a little lost on your combo of "we have to improve the top of the roster" but also that trying to acquire Great Players doesn't make sense.     

Not sure why you are lost:

1) Trading a ton of talent for one year of a player is a poor move unless you are 1 player away, which we aren’t.

2) I will almost never be for 10-15 year deals for 35-45M a year, especially when the player had a major surgery.

You can easily improve the top of your roster without making silly moves.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure why you are lost:

1) Trading a ton of talent for one year of a player is a poor move unless you are 1 player away, which we aren’t.

2) I will almost never be for 10-15 year deals for 35-45M a year, especially when the player had a major surgery.

You can easily improve the top of your roster without making silly moves.

We are one 10 WAR player away. We won 83 games last year and we are adding Grayson and Gunnar plus another month of Adley. That could easily get us to a wild card and a good shot at the division. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We are one 10 WAR player away. We won 83 games last year and we are adding Grayson and Gunnar plus another month of Adley. That could easily get us to a wild card and a good shot at the division. 

Well you are assuming everything else stays the same or better.  I don’t assume that.

Now, where I agree with the basic premise is that adding an elite guy gets us closer than adding a good to very good player or 2.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well you are assuming everything else stays the same or better.  I don’t assume that.

Now, where I agree with the basic premise is that adding an elite guy gets us closer than adding a good to very good player or 2.

I don't know why we should assume we will be worse. We have a young team with most guys entering their prime. I could see some regression in the bullpen but overall I'd say repeating last year's performance is a good baseline expectation.

It may be LAA's price is too high but it is not inherently stupid to ask IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know why we should assume we will be worse. We have a young team with most guys entering their prime. I could see some regression in the bullpen but overall I'd say repeating last year's performance is a good baseline expectation.

It may be LAA's price is too high but it is not inherently stupid to ask IMO. 

Because normally when a team ( or player) takes a huge step forward in a given season they take a step back the following season.

I'm guessing Tiger fans were not expecting to regress.

I think the best matchups are still Astros and Marlins.  They have some pitching depth either in the majors already or young guys just about ready.  The Astros have Valdez, McCullers, Garcia, Javier, Brown, Uriquody, and Verlander.  Verlander is a free agent but could easily sign back to return.  I think they will look to move one of Garcia, Javier, or Uriquody.  Valdez is there ace so won’t be traded, MCullers contract hurts ability to trade him, Brown looks like next guy to be top of their rotation.   I think Elias would rather move some of the guys on major league roster more the prospects.  Mullins makes most sense for that reason, if you can move Mullins for younger controlled starter at good salary I would do that.  Then sign Nimmo to play center.