Who do you NOT want the O's to sign/trade for?

btdart20

There's a lot of focus on who we DO want to bring in.  It's fair, it's fun.  Let's reframe it and look at the negative space in the art of team building.

Who's on your 'hard pass' list of players that the O's should bring in?  Guys that you just don't see as wise to bring in for whatever reason (whatever that reason may be).  

My list:

Any 2B/SS/3B player - Correa, Xander, Trea, Swanson, etc. etc.  As great as these guys are, I just think it would be foolish to sign a big FA contract or trade away talent to land any of those guys.  We have plenty of talent that can fill these positions.

JD Martinez - I think he's toast.  Name recognition will overvalue him.

Syndergaard/Clevinger - I think they're done.  Name recognition will overvalue them.  Cueto is similar in falling velo but due to age vs. injury.

Stripling - Nah.  Buying high.

Rogers/Jansen/Kimbrel - Better deals can be found for BP guys.

Contreras - too much $ for a part-time player.

Mancini - Is he the future?  Or the past?

• Upvote 2

On 11/6, Roch's column had several more questions for the Front Office. One was, should the O's resign Odor? Don't know where that came from, so I'm adding Odor to my Hard Pass list and agreeing with your take too. As much as I like Trea, Hard Pass. He's the past but I wish him well and happy for his ring. 

As always, I would start with the caveat that this is all based on the contract, and I am going off of what I believe the players will get.

My big two stay-aways:

DeGrom.  He is going to get a lot of money based on who he is when he is healthy, but I simply would not spend that much on a guy who has his history of breaking down heading into the latter part of his 30's.  If any team signs him they should feel like they could make the postseason without him and try to have him available in Sept/Oct.

Correa.  Other than the fact that I don't want that cheating scandal stink on our team, I just don't think he will age well.  I think you'd be paying for the next couple of seasons but then have a sunk cost when he's in his 30's and not quite there defensively.

I'd much rather we spend our capital on controllable arms and short-term high AAV guys to keep our roster flexibility.  The only long-term deals I would hand out would be to the superstars like Turner, if it didn't limit other acquisitions, which seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

There's a lot of focus on who we DO want to bring in.  It's fair, it's fun.  Let's reframe it and look at the negative space in the art of team building.

Who's on your 'hard pass' list of players that the O's should bring in?  Guys that you just don't see as wise to bring in for whatever reason (whatever that reason may be).  

My list:

Any 2B/SS/3B player - Correa, Xander, Trea, Swanson, etc. etc.  As great as these guys are, I just think it would be foolish to sign a big FA contract or trade away talent to land any of those guys.  We have plenty of talent that can fill these positions.

JD Martinez - I think he's toast.  Name recognition will overvalue him.

Syndergaard/Clevinger - I think they're done.  Name recognition will overvalue them.  Cueto is similar in falling velo but due to age vs. injury.

Stripling - Nah.  Buying high.

Rogers/Jansen/Kimbrel - Better deals can be found for BP guys.

Contreras - too much $ for a part-time player.

Mancini - Is he the future?  Or the past?

Hard to disagree with any of these names although I may still go after Clevinger although it would only be on a deal that I think he easily beats in FA.

I think the thought of adding an expensive IFer is one of the oddest and most wrong thoughts I see from Os fans for this offseason.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Hard to disagree with any of these names although I may still go after Clevinger although it would only be on a deal that I think he easily beats in FA.

I think the thought of adding an expensive IFer is one of the oddest and most wrong thoughts I see from Os fans for this offseason.

Yeah, I thought of you while I was typing "Clevinger".  Just not sure he'll ever get back to old form... 

Any new names to throw out there?  

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah, I thought of you while I was typing "Clevinger".  Just not sure he'll ever get back to old form... 

Any new names to throw out there?  

I had wanted Clevinger but I don't really want him anymore.  Don't like the reports I read about the big dropoff in velocity and then he struggled a lot as well.

I have zero interest in any pitcher that isn't K'ing a lot of guys or missing bats.  I am valuing that in a major way this offseason.  Command needs to be a priority too although there would be a few exceptions there, like say Snell.

I don't feel like we need to make any signings for the bottom 15 or so guys on the roster outside of a back up C, unless we make a lot of trades and need some additional depth.  So, not really interested in back up OFers, UTI players, etc...unless there are minor league deals. No interest in any rule 5 players either.

I want top of the roster/everyday player guys(except the IF outside of maybe first).  I think that is where all the resources should go.

Mancini's fallen off a cliff the last two 2nd halfs.  Could he be worth 1yr 6 million, and we'd know he'd basically just be a bridge till the deadline?  I kind of view Lyles in the same light.  They would both buy us some time before we'd have to give out a long term deal, and we can allow our prospects to grow a bit more before making a trade.  Is that worth 15-16 million dollars though?  Probably not.  But with no shift, I could see Mancini hitting for a better BABIP.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini's fallen off a cliff the last two 2nd halfs.  Could he be worth 1yr 6 million, and we'd know he'd basically just be a bridge till the deadline?  I kind of view Lyles in the same light.  They would both buy us some time before we'd have to give out a long term deal, and we can allow our prospects to grow a bit more before making a trade.  Is that worth 15-16 million dollars though?  Probably not.  But with no shift, I could see Mancini hitting for a better BABIP.  

But who do you not want?

Any top tier position player.  I think we have what we have on that side of the ball.  We have more pieces coming, I'd rather spend my money on pitching as opposed to Judge/Turner/Correa/Bogaerts/Swanson/Benintendi/Bell.  I think all of these guys don't provide the dollar value return over what they're replacing.  You get Adley/Henderson/Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/Cowser/Stowers all at league minimum.  You have to strike 2 guys as elite, and 2 others as all star, so focus your money elsewhere.

The one I might consider, and I don't consider a position, would be a veteran DH if you can get it for reasonable cost, to give you 100-120 games (Martinez, Brantley, Cruz). 

Any top RP. I think we've proven we can provide value there, and we have depth.  We will have more depth if we focus on SP and move some of our SP, to the Bullpen.  Ie, Voth, Watkins, Wells.  So say no to Diaz (too late)/Jansen/Kimbrel.

I don't want the O's to sign a DH only player.  Clogs the roster and will limit the O's resting players and either his own or Adley's DH at bats.

I don't want the O's to sign any 5th starter types.  There are probably 5 pitchers who could compete for a 5th starter spot.  It doesn't make any sense to spend money on that.

I do want the O's to spend money on a #3 and above starter.