Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just another guy 

He would’ve been our best starter last year. So that must be all we have is JAGs. If they really are trying to compete I’d say we need a bunch of upgrades. You have to bring up Grayson but don’t know that you can count on him out of the gate.

I think you can probably count on Kremer and Bradish for 150 IPs each. Looking at the other possibilities above I’d say Voth also if your convinced he’s the guy that pitched for you last year. You can’t count on Means or Wells at this point. I still think Hall should take the long reliever role as he’s a borderline 5 inning guy due to his erratic control and minor league track record the last few years.

And I don’t think Elias is going to play in the 30 million per season world.

Just a thought.  Easier said than done.  Sign Rodon and Nimmo (as a LF).  You can move Hays to RF.   Use Santander + to get someone like Pablo Lopez.  Defense and pitching.

LF Nimmo

3B Henderson

C Rutschman

1B Mountcastle

CF Mullins

2B Urias

RF Hays (Cowser at Norfolk)

DH Westburg (super utility)

SS Mateo (Ortiz at Norfolk)

Rotation

Rodon

Lopez

Kremer

Bradish

Rodriguez/Voth

Bullpen

Bautista

Perez

Wells

Baker

Tate

Akin

Voth

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He would’ve been our best starter last year. So that must be all we have is JAGs. If they really are trying to compete I’d say we need a bunch of upgrades. You have to bring up Grayson but don’t know that you can count on him out of the gate.

I think you can probably count on Kremer and Bradish for 150 IPs each. Looking at the other possibilities above I’d say Voth also if your convinced he’s the guy that pitched for you last year. You can’t count on Means or Wells at this point. I still think Hall should take the long reliever role as he’s a borderline 5 inning guy due to his erratic control and minor league track record the last few years.

And I don’t think Elias is going to play in the 30 million per season world.

Yes, they did.

Last year Wacha had a pretty typical year for him (FIP 4.14 career FIP 4.07) but his ERA+ came in at 127 (career 99 ERA+).

Seems to me that a guy with a career FIP over 4 and a career ERA+ of 99 that has exceeded 170 IP once in a decade is indeed Just A Guy.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I just don’t see how adding two starting pitchers is the prudent approach. If you add a 1-3 type, then your choices for starter are:

FA signing

GRod

Bradish

Kremer

Wells

Hall

Voth

Watkins

Means (June/July)

To me, that is a nice mix of depth/quality for limited spending. Use the money to upgrade the lineup for guys that can get on base and drive in runs.

As I just said to SG, the only names you can actually count on above for 150 respectable innings is Bradish, Kremer, and perhaps Voth if you believe you’ve fixed him. Means and Wells really can’t be counted on. Even if Means pitches he’s probably not going to be very good until next year. Hall should assume the mop up role until he gives you efficient innings that would indicate he’s capable of giving you 6 consistently. You hope that Grayson is your future ace a and need to make a spot. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we should be expect a guy like Wacha and perhaps a return of Lyles. The later wouldn’t really be and addition as it’s technically preventing a subtraction. You mentioned adjusted available money for free agency based on salary adjustments in arb. The $7 or so million that they paid Lyles minus the 1 million buy out has to be included as well. Plus we will save some draft pool money as a result of picking in the middle versus at the top.

SI mentioned Wacha and Stripling. My concern there is you are adding 300 innings over two rotation slots and losing 30 innings in one compared to Lyles. IMO, Lyles was either pretty dam good at points but had a few of those implosion start. I tried to look up his quality starts but didn’t locate it. I don’t think the Orioles can afford to have 5 starters pitch 150 innings. That would leave 750 innings not counting extra innings or playoffs. That would be more than this year. 

For 2022, the goal was quantity of IP at the top of the rotation = that's why Lyles was brought in.

For 2023, the goal is more about the quality of IP at the top of the rotation.  Maybe we get 20-30 less IP, but the IP we do get should be better.  That does NOT equal Wacha, Stipling, or Lyles IMO.  Those are all fine #3-5 types for some team.  But the O's have a few of those already.  We don't have a known/healthy SP who matches up with the best pitchers on most staffs.  We're all hoping Grayson is a #1 and Means comes back as a solid #2, but they're not as we head into 2023.

We have to raise the bar of quality if we want to increase our chances in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I just don’t see how adding two starting pitchers is the prudent approach. If you add a 1-3 type, then your choices for starter are:

FA signing

GRod

Bradish

Kremer

Wells

Hall

Voth

Watkins

Means (June/July)

To me, that is a nice mix of depth/quality for limited spending. Use the money to upgrade the lineup for guys that can get on base and drive in runs.

As I just said to SG, the only names you can actually count on above for 150 respectable innings is Bradish, Kremer, and perhaps Voth if you believe you’ve fixed him. Means and Wells really can’t be counted on. Even if Means pitches he’s probably not going to be very good until next year. Hall should assume the mop up role until he gives you efficient innings that would indicate he’s capable of giving you 6 consistently. You hope that Grayson is your future ace a and need to make a spot. 

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just a thought.  Easier said than done.  Sign Rodon and Nimmo (as a LF).  You can move Hays to RF.   Use Santander + to get someone like Pablo Lopez.  Defense and pitching.

LF Nimmo

3B Henderson

C Rutschman

1B Mountcastle

CF Mullins

2B Urias

RF Hays (Cowser at Norfolk)

DH Westburg (super utility)

SS Mateo (Ortiz at Norfolk)

Rotation

Rodon

Lopez

Kremer

Bradish

Rodriguez/Voth

Bullpen

Bautista

Perez

Wells

Baker

Tate

Akin

Voth

I don’t see how the lineup is any better. Your essentially swapping Nimmo for Santander.

He is saying 2 bats. I think you could add 2 guys like Benintendi and if you believe the rumors Correa. Personally, I’d add Benintendi and his .380 OBP and a second guy. I’m not sure I’d jettison Santander. What if you trade Mateo, and I’m assuming he has sone value now. 

That would give you Correa, Benintendi, Mullins, Santander, Rutschman, Henderson, Urias,  Mountcastle, and Hays/Cowser.

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t see how the lineup is any better. Your essentially swapping Nimmo for Santander.

He is saying 2 bats. I think you could add 2 guys like Benintendi and if you believe the rumors Correa. Personally, I’d add Benintendi and his .380 OBP and a second guy. I’m not sure I’d jettison Santander. What if you trade Mateo, and I’m assuming he has sone value now. 

That would give you Correa, Benintendi, Mullins, Santander, Rutschman, Henderson, Urias,  Mountcastle, and Hays/Cowser.

The defense and pitching is greatly improved. Everyone is so concerned with improving the offense.  The idea is to improve the team.  My idea may be neutral offensively but it improved the OF defense in both corners and used Santander to solidify the top of the rotation.   Plus, I have Ortiz in case Mateo is terrible and Cowser to cover any of the 3 outfield spots.   I might have to sacrifice a prospect in the Lopez trade.   

Benintendi is not a bad idea although overall he’s not really an upgrade over Hays.  For me it’s the same idea as with Nimmo.  Move Hays to RF and trade Santander. Benintendi is the poor man’s Nimmo this off-season.  Correa is possible but I don’t see it.

Edited by RZNJ

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wacha would be a small upgrade from Lyles.   I would like better but we will see how the off season plays out.

We need better.   If we decide to grab two pitchers, Wacha would be fine as the second guy.   I agree he’s a slight upgrade from Lyles. Slightly better at run preventions, but won’t cover as many innings.    

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The defense and pitching is greatly improved. Everyone is so concerned with improving the offense.  The idea is to improve the team.  My idea may be neutral offensively but it improved the OF defense in both corners and used Santander to solidify the top of the rotation.   Plus, I have Ortiz in case Mateo is terrible and Cowser to cover any of the 3 outfield spots.   I might have to sacrifice a prospect in the Lopez trade.   

Benintendi is not a bad idea although overall he’s not really an upgrade over Hays.  For me it’s the same idea as with Nimmo.  Move Hays to RF and trade Santander. Benintendi is the poor man’s Nimmo this off-season.  Correa is possible but I don’t see it.

Benintendi is a far superior offensive player imo. 71 points in OBP and 93 in slugging. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

MLBTR's top 50 free agents + predictions list is out. Orioles got a "vote" from at least one of the four writers on Sean Manaea, Taijuan Walker, Jameson Taillon, and JD Martinez. 

>mfw

gabriel-dropout-yawning-y2u5ecykrdbikuvi

Walker is a Wacha type, Manaea is a Lyles type, Tailion is in between those two and Martinez isn’t great anymore.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, I would be pretty underwhelmed with some combination of those guys as our "big" additions. 

Sadly, it feels pretty realistic.

I’d role with Senga and Yoshida from Japan

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/japanese-batting-champion-masataka-yoshida-likely-to-join-mlb-free-agent-class-per-report/