“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

You're right there are no guarantees, but as is too often you engage in gross hyperbole.

They didn't "throw away" a potential playoff spot last year.  They traded away two guys at high value, who both immediately cratered, and actually played better after the deadline deals.

Now, I'm not saying sit on your hands and do nothing.  But I am saying they should not be maximizing wins this year to the detriment of wins in future years, and many of these FA contracts recently handed out are going to do exactly that.

They could have done more heading into the season. They could have done something at the deadline. They could have brought Gunnar up sooner. They could have had GRod up before the injury.

They easily could have done a lot different both during the year and heading into it. They absolutely threw it away.

• Upvote 2

Elias is trying to create a long competitive window for this team, not break the bank to go all in right now. I think there is a wide variance as to what the Orioles can be in 2023, even if they sign no one. It all depends on what they get out of Rutschman and Henderson, and what Rodriguez can do in the rotation, as well as the progress of the other young players. The fates of those particular players will matter far more than adding Carlos Rodon or any other name that is on the market. 

The deals that players are getting this winter are stupid. Steve Cohen has spent hundred of millions of dollars and I don't think he's really made his team any better. An eight-year contract for a 29-year-old Brandon Nimmo is just idiotic. If that's the market then Elias would be wise to sit this one out. 

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Elias is trying to create a long competitive window for this team, not break the bank to go all in right now. I think there is a wide variance as to what the Orioles can be in 2023, even if they sign no one. It all depends on what they get out of Rutschman and Henderson, and what Rodriguez can do in the rotation, as well as the progress of the other young players. The fates of those particular players will matter far more than adding Carlos Rodon or any other name that is on the market. 

The deals that players are getting this winter are stupid. Steve Cohen has spent hundred of millions of dollars and I don't think he's really made his team any better. An eight-year contract for a 29-year-old Brandon Nimmo is just idiotic. If that's the market then Elias would be wise to sit this one out. 

Jace Peterson is gonna make $9.5 million over the next two years. 

Jace Peterson!!

It's madness out there. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I don't expect conditions to change in any foreseeable future winter

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

You're right there are no guarantees, but as is too often you engage in gross hyperbole.

They didn't "throw away" a potential playoff spot last year.  They traded away two guys at high value, who both immediately cratered, and actually played better after the deadline deals.

Now, I'm not saying sit on your hands and do nothing.  But I am saying they should not be maximizing wins this year to the detriment of wins in future years, and many of these FA contracts recently handed out are going to do exactly that.

I agree with most of what you are saying. But, there seems to be a hoard your own prospects sentiment here. The reality is many of these guys won’t turn in out to be anything special. 

A good GM will identify the really good ones and trade others at peak value. 

Hopefully Elias is able to do that at some point soon. Soon we will have roster crunches due to our deep system. And we will start to loose guys through the rule 5 and the minor league draft when that happens.

Im not suggesting do stupid stuff but we should have a surplus to make some solid moves.

Recent revenue/salary: 2014 -  2015 -  2016 - 2017 -   2018 -  2019 -  2020 -   2021

$245M-$239M-$253M-$252M-$251M-$256M-$115M-$251M.

$107M $119M $147M $163M  $143M  $73M   $52M    $56M  

Forbes reported small losses in 2016 and 2017 with attendance around 2.3 M vs current 1.9 M.

I remember in undergrad OPACY making us momentarily Yankees-rich, and the thrill after winning bids on several players of Proven Excellence already, we won Roberto Alomar for SIX MILLION DOLLARS AAV on top of all that.

Here was a happy Christmas!

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I remember in undergrad OPACY making us momentarily Yankees-rich, and the thrill after winning bids on several players of Proven Excellence already, we won Roberto Alomar for SIX MILLION DOLLARS AAV on top of all that.

Here was a happy Christmas!

I think that was the year that they were really close to signing David Cone too?

22 hours ago, interloper said:

Jace Peterson is gonna make $9.5 million over the next two years. 

Jace Peterson!!

It's madness out there. 

Jace Peterson making a dollar over the major league minimum is an overpay.  That is ridiculous.  I have been frustrated about the O's not signing any major free agents, but signing someone like Bogaerts (sp?) until he is 41 is just stupid.  He might not be a decent AAA 1B by then. 

• Upvote 1