Jose Quintana

emmett16

A name I’ve seen thrown around online but not much mention here is Quintana.  I don’t want him as my SP headliner, but he is intriguing as a second SP signing.  I didn’t realize he is only 33.  Left handed pitcher with the following career #s: .9HR9 / 3.75 era / 110 era+ / 3.62 FIP / 8.0 K9 (7.4k9 last year).  I hadn’t really considered him before, but after hearing his name thrown around I took a closer look and I have to say, there are some things to like.  There are a few red flags in there, but he might be a good candidate to maintain similar production into mid to late 30s.  I wonder what kind of contract he will be looking for and able to get.  

A lefty SP would be nice since I do not expect Hall to be ready for a rotation spot by opening day and I don't want either of Rodon or Manaea, so as along as we get another legitimately good SP like Chris Bassitt or Pablo Looez, I could live with Quintana as the other rotation addition. I would probably not go past 2 guaranteed years though, and would prefer 1 with an option. 2 years with an option and a generous buyout to tilt the scales a bit towards exercising the option would be fine too if his market is heated enough.

• Upvote 1