Sign Nimmo, trade Mullins for P. Lopez?

vab

Looking over some of these FAs - Brandon Nimmo really looks like someone Elias could be interested in -  a lefty bat, good speed, high OBP. This would also free up Mullins, who the Marlins reportedly covet, in a trade for Pablo Lopez. Thoughts? 

11 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'd rather just keep Mullins and sign Bassitt. That way, we still end up with a CF and SP, but we will have spent $40-50 million less that can be invested elsewhere over the coming competitive years.

That makes some sense but if you can get away without signing the SPs for an extended period I think that's a better bet. What would Bassitt require, 4-5 years? I'd rather give that length of deal to a position player and keep the SP on a shorter deal. 

Problem is you have multiple moving parts going on. This depends on the Marlins accepting our trade package, and Nimmo (and Nimmo's agent) agreeing to come to Baltimore. There is a risk you could do one and get stuck without the other, depending on which happens first. If we were pressured to sign Nimmo, you would have to be very confident there is a market for Mullins and we would get fair value in return, otherwise we end up with two CF's and no pitcher. Or we could end up with Lopez and no CF if Nimmo doesn't sign. I would not be opposed to this series of moves but we have to recognize it will be difficult to pull off.  

1 minute ago, vab said:

That makes some sense but if you can get away without signing the SPs for an extended period I think that's a better bet. What would Bassitt require, 4-5 years? I'd rather give that length of deal to a position player and keep the SP on a shorter deal. 

I was going with the idea that Bassitt would require 3 years at $60-70 million total, which is roughly in line with predictions for him.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Quick reminder that Bassitt is a QO guy and will cost a pick. Not that I'm against signing him. That might be a better loss than whoever you have to trade to get Lopez. 

Yes, he was offered a QO.  It would cost the O's their 3rd selection in the draft which is the Group B competitive balance selection after the 2nd round.

So would Eovaldi.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, vab said:

That philosophy makes a lot of sense. Hasn't anyone quantified by now the long-contract risk profile of SP versus position players? Seems a key factor to weigh, so I'd be surprised if Mike&Sid aren't all over it. (Though of course mileage does vary, player to player.)

On the Mullins front, I see temporary options in house between Hays, McKenna, Vavra(?), Cowser, Haskin... until Fabian/Beavers/Trimble down the road. Maybe they'll see where Cowser is at midseason, then hit the trade market for Mullins if Cowser is ready for the Show. 

PS Or take a short-term flyer on Bellinger, who could also fit as a 1B option?

Edited by now

Just now, now said:

On the Mullins front, I see temporary options in house between McKenna, Vavra(?), Cowser, Haskin... until Fabian/Beavers/Trimble down the road. Maybe they'll see where Cowser is at midseason, then hit the trade market for Mullins if Cowser is ready for the Show.

Those are pretty bad options for CF. McKenna can't really hit. The others are not known as CF prospects. Any advantage we'd be getting from Lopez would come at cost of CF defense and/or offense if we don't sign Nimmo, and the odds are not good for us being the highest bidder on Nimmo and him wanting to play in Baltimore.  

Much simpler solution is to roll with Mullins in center, while using more expendable players (Hays, Urias) along with prospects to upgrade the pitching. 

22 minutes ago, tabletop said:

They have more than enough payroll space to just sign Nimmo, sign one of the 2nd tier starters, and keep Mullins. I don’t see why it has to be Mullins or Nimmo.

We should sign Judge while we're at it.

And Verlander.

Also, I want a pony.

• Upvote 1