Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

On 8/14/2023 at 6:24 PM, nvpacchi said:

Interesting bit here from Kyle Boddy and Drew Haugen.  Boddy's suggested that Fujinami threw more strikes at 100+ on the 4S because that's when his mechanics were most in "harmony".

Drew then went and backed it up with some data, and Fuji indeed throws more strikes at higher velos.  However, this could be muddied by a move to the bullpen being the catalyst for more velo and control, given his control was probably even more disastrous at lower speeds when he was a starter.

Still something interesting to think about.

This is actually rather worrisome. The question for the O's pitching braintrust is how do you get him into the strike zone consistently. But he may be a guy who only has one MLB quality pitch, his FB. I think the HR to Grisham last night was on a split that he left up in the zone. 

If he can't locate his FB he's toast, IMHO. And it looks like he is having real trouble locating his FB. In addition, if he can't "take a little bit off" the FB to get strikes (a la Sandy Koufax) how do you fix him?

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If you mean he isn’t a setup guy right now.  I agree.  He has been a disappointment so far. But I also wouldn’t say he isn’t showing signs of turning it around.   He has had his moments. He has tons of raw tools and would be willing to take a chance that he could develop into something special.  In the meantime, there are tons of low leverage innings that will need to be pitched before the end of the year.  He can learn better there and also perhaps keep the team in a game it might win.  You never know, his confidence and trust in his stuff could grow to where he is good in high leverage.   Let me ask it this way, would you take a chance on Reynaldo Lopez?  Do you think we should just cut Cionel Perez?  

I think right now, there is a good chance that at least 3 members of the playoff pen are not in bullpen right now.

I think we see a big overhaul there over the next month and Perez is certainly a guy that could go.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think right now, there is a good chance that at least 3 members of the playoff pen are not in bullpen right now.

I think we see a big overhaul there over the next month and Perez is certainly a guy that could go.

No chance that a guy like McDermott is pitching in the playoffs.  If they thought he had it, he would be up already.  I do think we might see Hall, but he isn’t exactly lighting it up in AAA.  He doesn’t seem better than Perez at the moment, who throws harder and YIPES! might currently have better command. 

Edited by baltfan

Just now, baltfan said:

No chance that a guy like McDermott is pitching in the playoffs.  If they thought he had it, he would be up already.  I do think we might see Hall, but he isn’t exactly lighting it up in AAA.  He doesn’t seem better than Perez at the moment, who throw harder and YIPES! might currently have better command. 

We have seen plenty of young guys come up late in the year and play roles in the pen for contenders.

Zero reason to think McDermott can’t be one of those guys. Guys who get Ks and miss bats are crucial in the Oct. now, the command and control are issues but can that be better in a 1-2 inning stint?  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them give him a look in September and see what he can do.

Not saying Fuji hasn't been bad (he has), but is anyone appalled at just how bad this team is at letting inherited runners score? It seems to just be inevitable any time Hyde pulls a reliever mid-inning. Fuji has been as much of a victim of this as anyone, including last night. 

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Not saying Fuji hasn't been bad (he has), but is anyone appalled at just how bad this team is at letting inherited runners score? It seems to just be inevitable any time Hyde pulls a reliever mid-inning. Fuji has been as much of a victim of this as anyone, including last night. 

What? I missed the start of the 7th inning last night, but didn't Fuji start the inning? He didn't inherit any runners, did he? 

Fuji stinks. Great arm, but he still manages to stink it up. 

I was at one of my favorite Japanese hang-outs the other night (Ariyoshi's in Sunnyside, Queens) and one of the two baseball nuts who always show up there said, now that neither NY team is going to make it, he's following the Orioles: they're good, he wants to go to OPACY, and they have Fujinami.

Then he chuckled and said, "You know he's always had the same problem. The Hanshin Tiger fans were frustrated year after year*--they loved his talent and personality, but were driven crazy by his wildness and emotional behavior on the mound. In the end, they were happy to see him go. I don't think it's going to get better unless you have some magic coaching!"

Then we had another round of Orion beer (from Okinawa) and argued amiably about the Mets and Yankees.

* Fujinami was a Tiger 2013-22: http://npbstats.com/players/db/pitching/?wdt_search=106064

Edited by LA2

56 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

What? I missed the start of the 7th inning last night, but didn't Fuji start the inning? He didn't inherit any runners, did he? 

Fuji stinks. Great arm, but he still manages to stink it up. 

No, Perez allowed Tatis Jr. to run around the bases after Fuji was lifted. 2 out single turns into an ER for Fuji. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

No, Perez allowed Tatis Jr. to run around the bases after Fuji was lifted. 2 out single turns into an ER for Fuji. 

That ranks up there with the most humiliating moments of Oriole history that I've borne witness to (through TV or radio, that is). What makes it worse than the failed attempts at intentional walks or a runner flopping around on the 3rd base line is that it was a team effort--that no one in the infield or the battery was watching Tatis, Jr. is disturbing.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Ahhh. I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying. 

It looked like Hyde’s head was going to explode after that happened. 

I've seen enough of Fujinami.  This experiment needs to end. 

He has a great arm, sure.  When he throws strikes and gets break on his sinker, he's excellent.  But he walks too many guys and throws too many hanging sinkiers.  If this was the O's of two years ago, I'd keep giving him chances.  But this is a team fighting for the postseason.  Fujinami is the opposite of reliable.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

I've seen enough of Fujinami.  This experiment needs to end. 

He has a great arm, sure.  When he throws strikes and gets break on his sinker, he's excellent.  But he walks too many guys and throws too many hanging sinkiers.  If this was the O's of two years ago, I'd keep giving him chances.  But this is a team fighting for the postseason.  Fujinami is the opposite of reliable.  

Hanging splitters, sorry.  

16 minutes ago, doccat said:

I’ve seen enough.  Failed experiment.  Relegate him to mop up duty status in blowouts (both winning and losing ones.). He’s not up for anything else..

Same. A pennant race is not the time to pitch a project in high leverage situations. Short sample size or not Fujinami has failed the test so far with an 8.09 ERA in 13 innings pitched and 3 home runs allowed.

On the plus side Jacob Webb has passed the test and has earned some trust for now.