Orioles sign OF Nomar Mazara

Roll Tide

Tal about some weird statcast info. 

His EV cratered 4.3 MPH down to 86.1 MPH and his hard hit percentage dropped 6.9% to 32.8%, both well below major leaguer average.

Hit .291 (.264 xBA) off fastballs (4-seamers/sinkers/ but with a career low 83.3 EV. But when you look at just 4-seamers (typically 94 MPH or higher) he hit just .235 (.237 xBA) with an awful 80.9 EV and 25 Launch angle (LA). The other pitch he struggles to hit hard was the cutter.

So basically he snuck some hits in there, but wasn't hitting the ball hard and with a 22 LA, he was hitting a lot of soft fly outs. 

When you look at offspeed pitches, he hits them all with good EV.

So what to make of this? Could be that his bat has slowed and he's lost strength. I just want to throw allegations around, but something is definitely a miss here because it's surprising to see this from a 27 year old.

Saying all that, why not give him a look in AAA? 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tal about some weird statcast info. 

His EV cratered 4.3 MPH down to 86.1 MPH and his hard hit percentage dropped 6.9% to 32.8%, both well below major leaguer average.

Hit .291 (.264 xBA) off fastballs (4-seamers/sinkers/ but with a career low 83.3 EV. But when you look at just 4-seamers (typically 94 MPH or higher) he hit just .235 (.237 xBA) with an awful 80.9 EV and 25 Launch angle (LA). The other pitch he struggles to hit hard was the cutter.

So basically he snuck some hits in there, but wasn't hitting the ball hard and with a 22 LA, he was hitting a lot of soft fly outs. 

When you look at offspeed pitches, he hits them all with good EV.

So what to make of this? Could be that his bat has slowed and he's lost strength. I just want to throw allegations around, but something is definitely a miss here because it's surprising to see this from a 27 year old.

Saying all that, why not give him a look in AAA? 

Interesting.  I wonder how he hit 4seamers during his good years…?  Was he over adjusting to hit off-speed pitches?  
Hopefully it’s an approach/mindset thing.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I remember thinking the Rangers had a young start when he came into the league at 20/21 years old and more than held his own.  Oh well.   He's no Franchy Cordero!

I'm really waiting for the day in the 2023 season when Cordero AND Mazara are in the lineup for the O's in the same game.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This offseason is hilarious so far, not gonna lie.  Everyone thought we were gonna be going home with the prom queen and instead we're left with a bottle of Jergens and a box of Kleenex.

Careful Moose, that sounds an awful lot like wrongthink...

I, for one, love our staunch commitment to filling out the fringes of the organization with AAAA guys before addressing the glaring weaknesses. Maybe we'll get really lucky and Elias will be able to convice Francisco Peguero to leave his sales job at the used car dealership behind and return to the organization!

You guys still kill me.   You get your hopes up for one of the 4 big SS, Verlander, DeGrom, Rodon, and Winter Meetings are over, you've thrown in the towel.   It's great entertainment.    There's the whole month of December and January to go.     If Elias doesn't get a true #3 pitcher or better even I will say he misrepresented what he said or couldn't get it done.    Stay tuned.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This offseason is hilarious so far, not gonna lie.  Everyone thought we were gonna be going home with the prom queen and instead we're left with a bottle of Jergens and a box of Kleenex.

Dammit that is funny.  Not quite the "liftoff" we had in mind.....but a liftoff nonetheless.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't really want to see an all in trade given the risk involved with picking up any pitcher in the game right now. I want to see if veteran players on a big contract are an option now with Rubenstein. A player like Max Scherzer should be on the table as a means to add another viable starting pitcher. I have to think under Angelos a player like Scherzer would be too expensive and a nonstarter. I'd rather pay $$$ for some high priced veterans over giving up top prospects for one pitcher that you pray doesn't get a sore elbow. 
    • I’m not an actuary. That’s @Filmstudy realm. He’s a master at calculating odds. Here’s what I will say. I think (just my two cents) that Elias should be aiming to come away from the trade deadline with a starting pitcher who is a real difference maker. And hopefully a bullpen arm or two that have power/strikeout stuff (unlike all of our relievers currently not named Kimbrel). Elias should be trying to increase our odds as high as possible. I don’t know by what percent our odds will increase. But I do know that if we add a top of the rotation type pitcher to what we have, the odds of us likely being successful against ANY TEAM in the Fall will go up. This again is just my opinion (for whatever that is worth) but it sends the right message to the players that you are invested in truly trying to get this team over the line (World Series trophy). If the message that is sent to the players continues to be “one foot in and one foot out”. I’m not sure if that is a strong appeal to ultra competitors like Gunnar and Adley. People might say well who cares what the players think? But it is probably going to play a roll (what they think/how they feel) in whether or not they are willing to re-up here longterm. And I can’t envision a version of the Orioles that is as strong and as viable to maximizing the earnings/value of the franchise without them. I’ve said this before, but I attend a lot of games and I’m around town very often. I see all of the #2 and #35 shirts on people’s backs in the stadium and around the community. Lastly, I believe that it is very important that we do right for players like Stowers and Norby. I get and I’m sure they understand that there may not be a place for them on the Baltimore Orioles. But you can’t leave guys buried at AAA for years and never give them a chance, especially when we are talking about prime years. These guys only have so many years to make money by playing the game. If you can’t use them, send them elsewhere. I have never been a big believer that you get rewarded by treating people (and that is what all the players actually are) wrong.
    • Holliday isn’t being traded lol. And I highly doubt Mayo is traded. Basallo is expendable to me. We have Adley. 
    • Seems logical with the lefties coming up. It's time. Get him a taste before the AS break, temporarily option someone, then make a deal at the deadline to jettison someone like Urias. 
    • I couldn’t help myself, I checked the replies and that guy on Twitter is saying it’s a rumor from the Mayo family but didn’t say where and he said it’s not anyone verified. So absolutely wouldn’t put any stock in that.  That said - I do see some logic here if there are a string of LHP coming up. Send Cowser to AAA for some more regular ABs, get Mayo up for the LHP and buy some time. Mullins plays CF and maybe Mateo is the backup CF or starts there vs the LHP (with Mayo 3B and Westburg 2B). The trade deadline is in 3 weeks. If they are committed to trading Urias, they could call up Cowser after the minimum AAA stint and DFA Urias, and then IIRC the DFA period to trade Urias is something like a week and would run through the trade deadline. They’d lose some leverage in trading him after a DFA, but that way they’ll know they will either get something for him then or there just never would have been enough demand across the league to move him. 
    • As much of a crapshoot as the playoffs are, I'd say a 5% boost is worth quite a bit. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now