Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

1 minute ago, MarCakes21 said:

The point is it's a marginal upgrade over the potential of Westburg.  You bought maybe 0.5 wins over a full season of Westburg (or Ortiz/Vavra/Norby) for $8mil.

And to think you couldn't do something else with that $8mil.

This move has nothing to do with the potential of Westburg. It’s depth and insurance. 

If someone is too cheap to take their family on a vacation but spends a little extra on Christmas should they have not spent that extra money on Christmas out of principle? Because I was cheap here I should also be cheap here?

If they aren’t spending big on a FA arm then where exactly would they be spending any money? What evidence is there that this deal is the reason they haven’t pushed harder on an arm? 

I can’t stand the fact the rotation has not been improved more. I don’t think this money has anything to do with that. 

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah that's why many of us are pausing at the price tag. Odor was the starting 2B and he was only making $700k last season. At $8M, I don't see how Fraizer isn't making 140 starts next year even is he's horrible again.

I keep thinking maybe there is a trade coming and this move will make more  sense than it does now (which is no sense). 

Odor was signed on a team that expected to have a losing season. When they were competing the GM still made moves for the future. 

If he sucks I can’t see them running him out there for 140 games.  

Steamer projecting:

Frazier - 1.8 WAR in 557 PA

Westburg - 1.0 WAR in 204 PA

Vavra - 0.3 WAR in 119 PA

Westburg's getting handled, but par for the course with Raysian clubs.    On the 20% chance he beats his 80th percentile forecast, Club control of his 2029 might have surplus value >$8mm.    

It might still be 2B Westburg, and DH/Rover Frazier.    This transaction reinforces my belief one of Urias or Mateo will be traded this winter, as they should.     I guess it could be 2B Frazier and DH/Rover Urias if everyone stays in town.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Odor was signed on a team that expected to have a losing season. When they were competing the GM still made moves for the future. 

If he sucks I can’t see them running him out there for 140 games.  

They are paying him $8 million. He will be around until the end, wait and see!

If the O's are planning to trade Urias and/or Mateo, or are planning to package Westburg and/or Ortiz in a trade for a front-line starter, then this signing makes sense.  He hits lefty so he could get lots of at bats platooning with whoever is playing at SS/2B/3B.  

Otherwise, it's just adding another ok player to a crowded infield situation.  

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So you think a guy with 2 percentile EV at 31-years old is worth $8 million to be a super sub? If they signed Frazier to a minor league split contract that would pay him under $2 million if he made the team then I'd be ok.

When you are signed for $8 million by the Orioles, the expectation is you are going to be in the lineup pretty much everyday. With second base currently not spoken for, right now we have to expect that Elias sees him as his everyday 2B.

Well maybe it's his speed, right? Nope, 37th percentile spring speed means he slower than the average player so that means he's not going to cover a great amount of ground in the outfield, where the Orioles should have better options.

So here we are on December 15th and Elias has replaced Lyles with Gibson and Odor with Frazier. 

Not exactly making me feel like Elias has any clue how to take that next step with a team on the cusp. All he's doing is treading water and whoever is identifying talent like Odor, Aguilar and now Frazier needs to be sent packing.

Only the most Pro-Elias fan boy or sycophant could come up with a reason why spending $8 million on Frazier makes sense to an organization that has Urias, Westburg and most like Ortiz ready to play at the major league level. 

Guess we know Elias doesn't subscribe to  @Sports Guy thoughts that left-handers are hurt worse than right handers in Camden Yards. 

This literally looks like a move to just get a left-handed hitter, even if he's not good.

An interesting sentence, especially because it seems you are calling people who disagree with you names.  But it's bad to call people who agree with you whiners?   Come on, Tony.   

I don't love the move but it certainly can make sense.   If Urias and Mateo are on the team, then I agree it makes no sense.  That would completely tie up 2B.   However, on a one-year contract Frazier can both share 2B with Westburg and playing time can be determined how well Westburg does.   Westburg and Ortiz were never going to both make the team unless both Mateo and Urias were dealt.   Ortiz to AAA while Mateo gets more time to sink or swim.   Urias probably traded.   Westburg splits time with Frazier but if Westbug hits, Frazier gets more and more time in LF and RF.    Ortiz is still ready to take over SS depending on Mateo.  

This move is definitely bad for Vavra.  Maybe not as bad for Stowers but they've said they wanted another regular type OF so still waiting to see if that still happens.

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This move has nothing to do with the potential of Westburg. It’s depth and insurance. 

If someone is too cheap to take their family on a vacation but spends a little extra on Christmas should they have not spent that extra money on Christmas out of principle? Because I was cheap here I should also be cheap here?

If they aren’t spending big on a FA arm then where exactly would they be spending any money? What evidence is there that this deal is the reason they haven’t pushed harder on an arm? 

I can’t stand the fact the rotation has not been improved more. I don’t think this money has anything to do with that. 

I don’t think they should have spent the money at all. They’re too cheap to go on vacation but they already own a beach house (the farm) that has a built in vacation. Would have rather that money in the pockets of the owners at this point. Do things that make sense rather than marginally improve the team for more than the cost of a WAR