Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Others know better but you’re entitled to be stubborn.

Denying reality isn't "knowing better."

He said it's hard to see the Orioles being able to win the division, and I agree with him at this point in time. We were a 4th place team at the end of the year and we are most likely a 4th place team currently. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You consider him a plus defender in the outfield and as a hitter?

In 2023?  I don’t know.  In 2022 he was not good.  Almost every other year of his career was good, as in 2 WAR or better with solid DRS and QAA at 2B.  He had very limited numbers in LF and RF but no red flags.

In 2021 he was worth 3.6 fwar.  That’s not a few years ago.  Is he an old 31 or was 2021 the outlier?   I don’t know.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He said it's hard to see the Orioles being able to win the division, and I agree with him at this point in time. We were a 4th place team at the end of the year and we are most likely a 4th place team currently. 

He didn’t say that but I know you prefer paraphrasing to quotes.  

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He made moves in September he thought would help them win. Whether they worked or not. 

When he dealt Trey and Lopez that certainly wasn’t about helping them win. 

You want to eat you cake and have it too it seems. I’m good here, we can move on. I’m not going change your mind. We still have some off season left. I’d love to be wrong. 

18 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Man, Frazier's batted ball metrics are really something else:

Barrel%- 2nd percentile

Hard Hit%- 2nd percentile

Avg. Exit Velo- 3rd percentile

Max Exit Velo- 19th percentile

Friggin' YIKES :eek:

He's a contact hitter.   Must we play Franchy a lot because he's 99th percentile max EV?      Barrels rightly value a batter's talent to sting the ball, but without looking I'd guess his line drive rates are decent.    He's not as good as brand leaders like Kwan and Arraez.     Bats have been training to crush the ball awhile now to get value out of their few touches, but MLB is putting a restrictor plate on defenses so more singles can fall in.    Colton Cowser wonders if Frazier likes legos.

Many of us saw the Buck Contact to Damage Orioles die fast as the ability to make a living crushing chase pitches fades quickly.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He never said that he thought this team couldn’t win the east.  That’s not accurate but it seems to keep getting repeated.

Would you have preferred if I had said that Elias doesn’t think that it’s probable that the Orioles will win the East this year?

That’s how I interpret that quote. You’re free to your own interpretation. That doesn’t change anything I said because we haven’t seen him take any risk with respect to buy-side trades or significant free agent acquisitions. I understand that the team wasn’t in a position to make such moves. I think the team is in a different position now.

34 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If this $8 million stops the Orioles from getting a decent pitcher then we are in sad shape. Payroll still second lowest. 

It would appear now the only way we get a decent pitcher is via trade.

I would not be surprised if that didn't happen either.

No doubt a lot of disappointment and confusion with how this offseason has rolled out so far.

16 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Right now any real playoff chance is dependent on the prospects playing above and beyond expectations. And pitchers like Means, Grayson and DL Hall have to contribute next year to bolster the pitching staff.

Not out of the question, but it's not going to be easy. Maybe Adley and Gunnar will have breakout season and get MVP votes. I know Adley was very good last year, but what if he hits .290 with .400+ OBP with 25 home runs and 40+ doubles in 2023. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In 2023?  I don’t know.  In 2022 he was not good.  Almost every other year of his career was good, as in 2 WAR or better with solid DRS and QAA at 2B.  He had very limited numbers in LF and RF but no red flags.

In 2021 he was worth 3.6 fwar.  That’s not a few years ago.  Is he an old 31 or was 2021 the outlier?   I don’t know.

He's slow, his bat speed is terrible, and he'll be 32 years old. Even you have to agree that's not a good combination, and certainly not a $8 million a year combination.

6 minutes ago, Slight Upward Arc said:

You want to eat you cake and have it too it seems. I’m good here, we can move on. I’m not going change your mind. We still have some off season left. I’d love to be wrong. 

I’m not going after you. I’m sorry if you feel that way. 

All I am saying is I think what he did in September he thought was best for the team to win that month. Was just pointing out that at start of August clearly 2022 was not his priority.  

24 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Seems about right.The cell reproduction of dead baseball players should be passed its infancy by then. Will the Orioles

payroll still be $52 mm.?

No, seriously.    In some rosy scenarios, Jackson Holliday is the 2040 2B.     Probably earning around $52mm!

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He made moves in September he thought would help them win. Whether they worked or not. 

When he dealt Trey and Lopez that certainly wasn’t about helping them win. 

He's working now to regain equity in that clubhouse.    I'm sure the best Orioles of 2022 were pissed.     Threw Jordan Lyles probably best chance at a kid's dream in the trash for Johnson, Povich and McDermott.      Rougned gives them all that encouragement, then from on high its like....nope.