Does this team still need another RH bat?

interloper

Even with the McCann trade, I still think we need another RH bench bat. Some RH bat options that fit… Myers, Pham, Duvall, Gurriel, Mancini, Aguilar, Cruz, and Voit. 

I like Pham. He knows the division. He’s played on winning teams, and he’s an Oriole killer, so we know he likes OPACY. He’s also the best fielder of the bunch. 

I want us to be able to have options if our lefties go cold against same sided pitchers. Also, Pham would protect us against injuries. Sure, Westburg could fit in and be used in a rotation, but now that we signed Frazier, that doesn’t really make fit well. 

The bench could be a real strength if Elias nails the last spot. No more Sunday lineup give away games. 

Mountcastle is the only player on the roster who really plays 1B, so the last bench spot could go to somebody who can cover there. Certainly one of the other IF or Adley or McCann could play there if you just needed to give Mountcastle a day off, but that’s giving away a lot of offense (and if Adley, somewhat defeating the purpose of trying to give his legs a day off). 

Mancini seems perfect to me but he’s probably still looking for a role where he would get more money and playing time. So it may just be somebody else with a RH 1B profile who is just not as good as Mancini. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Even with the McCann trade, I still think we need another RH bench bat. Some RH bat options that fit… Myers, Pham, Duvall, Gurriel, Mancini, Aguilar, Cruz, and Voit. 

I like Pham. He knows the division. He’s played on winning teams, and he’s an Oriole killer, so we know he likes OPACY. He’s also the best fielder of the bunch. 

I want us to be able to have options if our lefties go cold against same sided pitchers. Also, Pham would protect us against injuries. Sure, Westburg could fit in and be used in a rotation, but now that we signed Frazier, that doesn’t really make fit well. 

The bench could be a real strength if Elias nails the last spot. No more Sunday lineup give away games. 

Pham is an interesting player and would essentially replace McKenna much like Frazier takes Vavra's spot. I'm okay with that, but I like McKenna's defense more. That said Pham's ability against LHP is at least intriguing.

Wil Myers is also very interesting. He's better against LHP and offers an option both in the corner OF and at 1B, giving us a true backup (other than Rutschman) for Mountcastle. Given Adley at 1B means more McCann, I'm onboard with a backup 1B option on the roster. I'd much rather see Myers in the lineup than McCann. Obviously, Myers likely wouldn't replace Mountcastle in the lineup against LHP, but could be an option in place of Mullins occasionally (Hays sliding to CF). 

In a perfect world we'd sign and/or trade for a corner outfielder because the idea of playing both McKenna and Hays is not idea. I really don't think they're going to make another move to improve their offense though and I view it as a much lesser priority than improving their starting pitching.