Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s unlikely his value will ever be higher than it is right now and he is an oft injured guy coming off a healthy season.  I’d cash that chip in if someone is willing to pay for him.

While Santander's value to another team may as you suggest never be higher, the same is true of his value to this team. We're not exactly stacked with offense.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

While Santander's value to another team may as you suggest never be higher, the same is true of his value to this team. We're not exactly stacked with offense.

Sounds like SG is taking the under on games played and his production in 2022.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think what Santander brings to the table is easily replaceable. Conforto and Belt are players who can probably be had on one year deals who could match his HRs and RBIs and both would be a significant OBP upgrade. I'd even be fine with them going cheap and rolling the dice with one of Dom. Smith, K. Calhoun or D. Peralta. They might not match Santander, but the drop off would be justifiable if that's what it takes to land a TOR pitcher or young pitcher with TOR upside. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, owknows said:

That’s not wrong but I’m not counting on him to be a guy that posts an OBP over 320 and playing in 130+ games.

I trust his power and I think he will be fine when he is healthy and playing but he’s not some irreplaceable guy, especially if his durability is what it normally is.

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

I think what Santander brings to the table is easily replaceable. Conforto and Belt are players who can probably be had on one year deals who could match his HRs and RBIs and both would be a significant OBP upgrade. I'd even be fine with them going cheap and rolling the dice with one of Dom. Smith, K. Calhoun or D. Peralta. They might not match Santander, but the drop off would be justifiable if that's what it takes to land a TOR pitcher or young pitcher with TOR upside. 

Under more normal circumstances I'd be inclined to agree.

But Santander, Rutschman, and Henderson were pretty much the offense last year.

One dimensional offensive players are for sure easier to find than well rounded players... but Santander's production would be significantly missed.. even if we traded it for 2/3 of that production.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s not wrong but I’m not counting on him to be a guy that posts an OBP over 320 and playing in 130+ games.

I trust his power and I think he will be fine when he is healthy and playing but he’s not some irreplaceable guy, especially if his durability is what it normally is.

That's fair enough... His one durable year was the exception.

3 minutes ago, Answerman said:

I'm glad someone brought up Mountcastle. Interesting case. Would he be a tradeable asset for any of the Marlins pitchers? If so, which one would equate.

And would you make that trade (thinking Mancini could be had for a one- or two-year deal)?

Yea, they should totally trade Mountcastle so they can bring on board an older and more expensive version of him.

Sounds good.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Thought about it for awhile. The market seems to suggest that we would be selling low on Mullins. If he has a season that is somewhere between his 2022 and 2021 seasons, his trade value could be astronomical next offseason

This.  He was worth ~70 mil the past two years. He will get more expensive but unless youre getting back the equivalent of around 5WAR per year, you hold.

Perhaps it might be worth remembering that Mullins will be the Oriole to profit most from the new rules.  Steals will be easier with the slightly larger bases and  limitations on pickoff attempts and he will gain greatly from the ban on shifts.  How many hard hit balls did he hit into a 3 man right side last year.  A ton in my recollection.  I'm guessing he steals 8 -10 more bases with a better ratio overall and bats .300 with the friendlier right side.