MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'll be honest, I was always a little disappointed that Markakis became Markakis.  I thought he was going to be a 300/400/500 guy for a decade, and after his first three years in the majors there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be exactly that.  Hell, they were throwing Stan Musial comps on him at one point.

He signed the extension, and he was never quite the same player again.  He peaked at 24.

He was a fine, dependable, solid player.  But he wasn't what I thought he was going to be.

Hard to disagree.   

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I'd really like to stay away from Bradish at this point after the changes he made in the second half. I definitely would move Cowser, Westburg and Povich for him, but would probably try and see if they would take some else besides Bradish. The fact is you only have two years of Burnes so giving away two low cost potential starters plus Cowser and Westburg just seems like an overpay on a team that I think is low end playoff contender currently.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd really like to stay away from Bradish at this point after the changes he made in the second half. I definitely would move Cowser, Westburg and Povich for him, but would probably try and see if they would take some else besides Bradish. The fact is you only have two years of Burnes so giving away two low cost potential starters plus Cowser and Westburg just seems like an overpay on a team that I think is low end playoff contender currently.

This is funny too isn’t it? Not long ago, you thought he was likely a reliever, as most did.

Now, you would rather keep him over Cowser or Westburg, 2 guys that you rated higher than Bradish ever was.

It’s really amazing how quickly these guys can change our minds and, more importantly, it shows everyone that development absolutely can and does happen at the ML level.

Im with you. Bradish hurts me worse to lose.  Yes, he could end up a reliever still but I think you can argue that he’s more important than the other guys in this deal, long term.

28 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'll be honest, I was always a little disappointed that Markakis became Markakis.  I thought he was going to be a 300/400/500 guy for a decade, and after his first three years in the majors there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be exactly that.  Hell, they were throwing Stan Musial comps on him at one point.

He signed the extension, and he was never quite the same player again.  He peaked at 24.

He was a fine, dependable, solid player.  But he wasn't what I thought he was going to be.

He disappointed me some too.

He should have routinely competed and/or won batting titles and should have routinely carried OBP in the 370-400 range.

But Nick always went through prolonged slumps every year. It’s tough to have 1/3 of your at bats be terrible and still put up those kinds of numbers.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

This is funny too isn’t it? Not long ago, you thought he was likely a reliever, as most did.

Now, you would rather keep him over Cowser or Westburg, 2 guys that you rated higher than Bradish ever was.

It’s really amazing how quickly these guys can change our minds and, more importantly, it shows everyone that development absolutely can and does happen at the ML level.

Im with you. Bradish hurts me worse to lose.  Yes, he could end up a reliever still but I think you can argue that he’s more important than the other guys in this deal, long term.

Well, I think this is more a reflection of the current (and future) state of the roster than a true statement regarding the ultimate value of Westburg or Cowser vs. Bradish.

We need starting pitching.  We can't afford to trade it away.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He disappointed me some too.

He should have routinely competed and/or won batting titles and should have routinely carried OBP in the 370-400 range.

But Nick always went through prolonged slumps every year. It’s tough to have 1/3 of your at bats be terrible and still put up those kinds of numbers.

I'll never know what it was to be honest.  He certainly didn't follow a normal aging curve.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Jones, like Nick, did have super star seasons (not many) but no, overall I don’t see Jones as a superstar.

For me, a superstar is a player who has 5 WAR seasons on a fairly frequent basis.  Manny has five under his belt.  Nick had one, Jones never did, though he reached 4.8 twice.   

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish is really a nice development story that we have not seen in the organization in the past. Watching him go from a straight-fastball, curveball guy to a cutter, plus slider and solid change, with a curveball guy is quite the feather in the organization and his cap.

If he continues to throw the ball like he did in the second half, he's a #3 starter on a good team so I'm not really ready to move him unless in the perfect deal. I love Burnes obviously, but with only two years of him, I think he's the kinda move you make when you are one player away from being a legitimate World Series contender, I'm not sure this team is ready for that yet.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, I think this is more a reflection of the current (and future) state of the roster than a true statement regarding the ultimate value of Westburg or Cowser vs. Bradish.

We need starting pitching.  We can't afford to trade it away.

Some truth here but at the end of the day, you want the best player you have to stay with the team.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish is really a nice development story that we have not seen in the organization in the past. Watching him go from a straight-fastball, curveball guy to a cutter, plus slider and solid change, with a curveball guy is quite the feather in the organization and his cap.

If he continues to throw the ball like he did in the second half, he's a #3 starter on a good team so I'm not really ready to move him unless in the perfect deal. I love Burnes obviously, but with only two years of him, I think he's the kinda move you make when you are one player away from being a legitimate World Series contender, I'm not sure this team is ready for that yet.

Gives hope for Hall

• Upvote 2