Austin Hays vs Ryan Mountcastle

WietersCorner

Austin Hays vs Ryan Mountcastle  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Higher WAR in 2023?

• Austin Hays
    • Ryan Mountcastle

Mountcastle has to continue to add plate discipline and cut down on some of his prolonged slumps. I think Brandon Belt on a 1 year 6 mil deal would be good 1b/DH competition/depth

Hays needs to stay healthy. Its likely he hits the IL at some point, so hopefully Cowser is ready sooner than later. I'm still hoping Stowers makes a case to start in ST.  The Frazier signing will end up being even more helpful if Hays goes down again.

I’ll take Ryan Mountcastle, but not because i don’t like Austin Hays. I think Hays is an excellent all around player and perfect to play our LF. But he just can’t seem to stay healthy. If Hays could ever put together a full healthy season, I think his numbers would be eye popping. But I wouldn’t hold my breathe

2 hours ago, yark14 said:

If Westburg can play all 4 infield positions, how can you not have him on the opening day roster?  I wouldn't count him out being able to play corner outfield either.  His bat is his biggest tool, but I think with his size and athleticism he can be a jack of all trades in the field.  Not elite at any position, but can do them all well enough to keep his bat in the lineup.

Brings to mind Ben Zobrist as a good comp.

Baseball Reference Similarity Scores

Mountcastle
Similar Batters:
Jared Walsh
Chris Duncan
Nathaniel Lowe
Chris Shelton
Renato Nunez
(ouch!) but...

... thru age 25:
Ike Davis
Bob Robertson
Mo Vaughan
Glenn Davis
Josh Bell
Tony Clark
Carlos Delgado
Babe... Young :(
Albert Belle
David Ortiz

Austin Hays
Similar Batters::
Wes Chamberlain
Justin Ruggiano
Billy Conigliaro
J. D. Davis
Butch Nieman

... thru age 26:
Jeffrey Hammonds (yup)
Mike Young
Paul O'Neill
Stephen Piscotty
Chris James
George Foster
Butch Huskey
Candy Maldonando
Mack Jones
Roy Foster

Comparing these lists, I'd take Mountcastle hands down. 

16 hours ago, yark14 said:

If Westburg can play all 4 infield positions, how can you not have him on the opening day roster?  I wouldn't count him out being able to play corner outfield either.  His bat is his biggest tool, but I think with his size and athleticism he can be a jack of all trades in the field.  Not elite at any position, but can do them all well enough to keep his bat in the lineup.

Westburg has never played 1B in college or the pros.  Check his Baseball Reference page.  Not one game.  It's fine if he plays the other three, but he's not played at first.  He has not played in the OF as a pro either and only has a few games in college.  But that is where I see a need for some right-handed balance.  If he's going to learn a new position, I'd rather it be in the corner outfields.  Especially, since I think Mayo could end up at 1B in the future.