Building a case that the current O’s could be a 90+ win team

Frobby

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the article is talking about reaching a deal before the February date.  It could have been written more clearly. 

What has been heard and written that the Orioles would sign a long term lease and not a five year extension. Signing just a 5 year lease doesn't get the $600 mm. from the state for stadium improvements. 

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

What has been heard and written that the Orioles would sign a long term lease and not a five year extension. 

This is how I interpreted the quoted statement.  And that it will happen before the deadline to exercise the 5-year extension.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I think if you did a poll on reasons Hall outperforms Grayson, most results would not be “funny”….more like “franchise-crippling”.

Huh? You mistake my meaning. Hall outperforming Grayson doesn’t mean Grayson doesn’t perform well. It would just be funny if they are our 1-2 combo aces but with Hall as the one and Grayson as the two. 

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Huh? You mistake my meaning. Hall outperforming Grayson doesn’t mean Grayson doesn’t perform well. It would just be funny if they are our 1-2 combo aces but with Hall as the one and Grayson as the two. 

No, I think I understood you…I was just countering with that it is more plausible that if DL pitches better than Grayson it is due to more bad than good….I would be beyond excited if it was due to good.

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

This was one of the things the Sun listed today as the five things Oriole fans can look forward to this season. 

This and if they have a good year and no one will care about what was said or what was done in free agency.If they go the other way of course frustration will be high.

5. A new long-term lease

Since first declaring in September 2019 the Orioles will play in Baltimore “as long as Fort McHenry is standing watch over the Inner Harbor,” team CEO and chairman John Angelos has reiterated that stance both publicly and privately. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred echoed it last month. Throughout the 2022 season, Orioles executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias hinted at upgrades planned for Camden Yards in the coming years.

But the organization enters 2023 with its lease to play at the ballpark set to expire at the end of the year. That upcoming deadline, though, offers hope for resolution. The Orioles have less than a month to exercise a one-time, five-year extension, and if Feb. 1 comes and goes without them doing so, their agreement with the Maryland Stadium Authority will end Dec. 31.

Comments from organization and league leaders suggest the team won’t reach that date without a long-term lease. In that sense, 2023 figures to be a big year for the future of the Orioles regardless of what happens on the field.

After The Irsay fiasco years ago I don't believe anything any Owner says.

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

After The Irsay fiasco years ago I don't believe anything any Owner says.

The difference is that the Angeloses (or whoever ends up owning the team) will need the approval of 75 percent of MLB owners to move the team, and there is no way that they will get that approval any time in the next 15 or 20 years, maybe longer. A relocation request won't even be considerered until after the messes in Tampa Bay and Oakland are resolved, and with Manfred at the helm that might take another 15 or 20 years.

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The difference is that the Angeloses (or whoever ends up owning the team) will need the approval of 75 percent of MLB owners to move the team, and there is no way that they will get that approval any time in the next 15 or 20 years, maybe longer. A relocation request won't even be considerered until after the messes in Tampa Bay and Oakland are resolved, and with Manfred at the helm that might take another 15 or 20 years.

Many people thought the Orioles would sign their lease before the Ravens but it looks like the Ravens will be first even though their lease doesn't expire till 2027.

“MSA is extremely pleased with the proposed new stadium lease agreement with Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium that continues our strong partnership with the team through the end of the 2037 NFL season with two 5 year options to extend,” the authority said in a statement Monday night.

Just now, Going Underground said:

Many people thought the Orioles would sign their lease before the Ravens but it looks like the Ravens will be first even though their lease doesn't expire till 2027.

“MSA is extremely pleased with the proposed new stadium lease agreement with Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium that continues our strong partnership with the team through the end of the 2037 NFL season with two 5 year options to extend,” the authority said in a statement Monday night.