Are the Orioles done?

interloper

Are the Orioles done?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Orioles done?

• Yep - no more 40-man roster additions. They're rolling with who they have now.
    • Basically - maybe an O'Hearn type or two, but nothing serious.
    • Nah - I still think they'll sign a Wacha/Cueto/Greinke type starting pitcher.
    • Nah - big trade incoming that will reshape this off-season.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Meant for

As I said, Mazara is an option.  So is Cordero.  So is Stowers.   That Doesn't mean they won't bring another player in as well.   You think they are going to sign Mazara by telling him he has no chance to make the ML team?   He does have a chance.

Just now, RZNJ said:

As I said, Mazara is an option.  So is Cordero.  So is Stowers.   That Doesn't mean they won't bring another player in as well.   You think they are going to sign Mazara by telling him he has no chance to make the ML team?   He does have a chance.

It was a minor league signing of a guy who has been worth a whopping 1.2 bWAR in almost 700 MLB games since 2016. He didn't have to run to reporters to tell them how he thinks he could fit into our 2023 plans.

But he did.

47 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It was a minor league signing of a guy who has been worth a whopping 1.2 bWAR in almost 700 MLB games since 2016. He didn't have to run to reporters to tell them how he thinks he could fit into our 2023 plans.

But he did.

Run to reporters.  He was at a press conference at the winter meetings talking about mulitple things.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He didn't have to tell the whole world that he sees Nomar Mazara as a platoon option for the 2023 team.

But he did.

First of all, it’s true that Mazara is a platoon option.  Not a good one, but he’s an option.  

Second of all, GM’s are not in the business of publicly downplaying players’ chances of making the roster and getting playing time.  They know the players are going to hear about anything the GM says about them.  Does Elias want Mazara to go into camp thinking that he has almost no chance to make the team or play a significant role, or that management thinks of him as a “break glass in case of emergency” guy?   No.   He wants Mazara to come to camp thinking that if he plays well he can make the team and play a significant role.  So he’s only going to say things that encourage that attitude.   

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Except they are blocking those prospects. 

Everyone keeps saying, well the team isn’t ready yet because they need to see more. Ok, then see more.

But they aren’t. They are signing mediocre at best players who will definitely take at bats away from guys you want/need to see more of.

Except, those prospects will be playing everyday in AAA, improving whatever it is they need to do. That isn’t blocking prospects. That is buying time until they are ready. The competition makes them better. I get that you want them to be in Baltimore making their mistakes and learning with the big club, but that is not their way, currently. It just isn’t. 

33 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Except, those prospects will be playing everyday in AAA, improving whatever it is they need to do. That isn’t blocking prospects. That is buying time until they are ready. The competition makes them better. I get that you want them to be in Baltimore making their mistakes and learning with the big club, but that is not their way, currently. It just isn’t. 

Westburg doesn’t need more time.  Ortiz probably doesn’t need either but it’s fine to debate that. It’s flat out wrong to say they haven’t earned their way up here.

But when they are ready, they are blocked anyway

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg doesn’t need more time.  Ortiz probably doesn’t need either but it’s fine to debate that. It’s flat out wrong to say they haven’t earned their way up here.

But when they are ready, they are blocked anyway.

You and Mike Elias have vastly differing opinions apparently. I guess we’ll see. I remember all of the bashing about how terrible the moves were last off season and they won 83 games. Elias has earned my respect that he knows when to promote a prospect. It definitely is different than the old school “sink or swim” approach. 

21 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

You and Mike Elias have vastly differing opinions apparently. I guess we’ll see. I remember all of the bashing about how terrible the moves were last off season and they won 83 games. Elias has earned my respect that he knows when to promote a prospect. It definitely is different than the old school “sink or swim” approach. 

I disagree, but that's OK.

Has Elias earned your respect that he knows whether and when to trade a prospect to fill the team's needs? I wouldn't think so.

37 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

So Elias got lucky last year with health, had some guys play well out of nowhere and benefitted from a down offensive year and the fences being moved back and now he’s infallible?  

He can’t be questioned? We just say, yep Elias is right. It’s fine that we didn’t upgrade. 

You can do all of that and have that thought process.  I prefer to field a better team though.

47 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I disagree, but that's OK.

Has Elias earned your respect that he knows whether and when to trade a prospect to fill the team's needs? I wouldn't think so.

No, that hasn’t happened. Until it does, the jury is out. The team overachieved last year, by a lot. Several things had to happen for that level of success. I think he was pleasantly surprised. I do not think he has a winner. Until he does, not sure he puts a big package of prospects out there. We’re hopefully going to see by 2024.

Its fair to criticize and be upset. I don’t love the moves either. They are what they are.

Edited by Jammer7

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So Elias got lucky last year with health, had some guys play well out of nowhere and benefitted from a down offensive year and the fences being moved back and now he’s infallible?  

He can’t be questioned? We just say, yep Elias is right. It’s fine that we didn’t upgrade. 

You can do all of that and have that thought process.  I prefer to field a better team though.

As usual it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.    You continually say he's not using the correct process when making decisions when you don't even know what process he's using.    Your thought process isn't to question things.   Your thought process is that you know what you would do and what he should do and if he does something you disagree with then he must be 100% wrong.   When a person questions something, they are usually searching for answers.   When you question something you assume you already have the answer.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

As usual it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.    You continually say he's not using the correct process when making decisions when you don't even know what process he's using.    Your thought process isn't to question things.   Your thought process is that you know what you would do and what he should do and if he does something you disagree with then he must be 100% wrong.   When a person questions something, they are usually searching for answers.   When you question something you assume you already have the answer.

I do 

• Downvote 1