In Hindsight What Would Have Been Your Perfect Orioles' Offseason?

HakunaSakata

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would have traded at least 3 of Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle, Santander, Hays and Mullins.

How motivated of a dealer are you?  Obviously "for the right deal", but are you willing to sell at 80% (or 50% or 100% or pick a number) of market value because the team will still be better off with the new assets and the back-filling prospect?  

51 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The post said "realistic." There's no evidence that Elias is granted permission to sign anyone to contracts approaching the length and value of Bassit or Abreu. This should've been obvious from the start when Roch was talking about most of the increase in payroll coming from arbitration raises. 

Realistically, I would've been happy with Syndergaard and JD Martinez. Unfortunately, it seems both took less to play in LA.

If signing Abreu and Bassitt - who are not the top free agents on the market (not even close) is not "realistic" to the Orioles, then the Orioles are more pathetic than we give them credit for. 

Just now, btdart20 said:

How motivated of a dealer are you?  Obviously "for the right deal", but are you willing to sell at 80% (or 50% or 100% or pick a number) of market value because the team will still be better off with the new assets and the back-filling prospect?  

It depends on the player.

Mullins I would be less motivated this year. I would move him and think they should try but I can also wait another year and his value should still be high. Obviously there is risk in that. The Nimmo deal would have made me really shop him and see if anyone pays big.

I would be very motivated to move Santander. I’m not taking a bad offer for him but I have zero doubt some team would pay you a price that would make it worth it to deal him.

Mateo is a guy I move without much hesitation. I wouldn’t dump him or anything but he has a market for sure. I don’t need to be blown away or anything like that to move him.

Urias and Hays have a spot as role guys. Urias I would have some more motivation to move in hopes you can cash in on the GG and the higher WAR season. I assume Hays is the second or third piece in a package deal, which would be fine too.

Mountcastle is probably the player I’m the least motivated to move considering he’s coming off a down year and he’s so cheap. He’s not a guy I want to pay “real money” for but that is 2-3 years away anyway.  That said, if the Marlins looked at him as a main piece to get one of their higher upside young starters, I’d move him. His case is different than the rest of these guys.

• Upvote 2

Perfect offseason? Realistic offseason? Does not compute 🤠

Anyways, since you asked. This is what would’ve been cool in my book

Free agents - Rizzo, Manaea

Trades - Holliday, Urias, Bradish, Stowers for Reynolds and Peguero (Pirates)

Santander for Snell (Padres)

Akin and Cowser for Carrasco and Baty (Mets)

Rotation would be Snell, Carrasco, Manaea, Kremer, and Rodriguez

Lineup something like

LF Mullins

CF Reynolds

C Rutschman

1B Rizzo

DH Mountcastle

SS Henderson

RF Hays

3B Baty

2B Peguero

Bench is Mateo, McKenna, Vavra?, backup C

Obviously there’d be room to move guys around. I’d probably alter the Mets trade to get McCann and keep Cowser assuming the Mets are interested in letting Baty (who is blocked) go in exchange for a significant salary dump. No idea about Vavras spot, but a lefty pinch hitter who plays multiple positions would be cool. I’d love to write in Frazier for that position but I doubt he’d sign here if he wasn’t promised every day at bats.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Perfect offseason? Realistic offseason? Does not compute 🤠

Anyways, since you asked. This is what would’ve been cool in my book

Free agents - Rizzo, Manaea

Trades - Holliday, Urias, Bradish, Stowers for Reynolds and Peguero (Pirates)

Santander for Snell (Padres)

Akin and Cowser for Carrasco and Baty (Mets)

Rotation would be Snell, Carrasco, Manaea, Kremer, and Rodriguez

Lineup something like

LF Mullins

CF Reynolds

C Rutschman

1B Rizzo

DH Mountcastle

SS Henderson

RF Hays

3B Baty

2B Peguero

Bench is Mateo, McKenna, Vavra?, backup C

Obviously there’d be room to move guys around. I’d probably alter the Mets trade to get McCann and keep Cowser assuming the Mets are interested in letting Baty (who is blocked) go in exchange for a significant salary dump. No idea about Vavras spot, but a lefty pinch hitter who plays multiple positions would be cool. I’d love to write in Frazier for that position but I doubt he’d sign here if he wasn’t promised every day at bats.

WTH?  What an awful deal this would be for the Os.

@Sports Guy - I'm pretty close to where you are.  

Mullins would have to blow me away.  Like I'd want 110+% of MV.  (More because of replacement cost for his level of production on both sides of the ball.)

Santander - I'm pretty close to full market value, like 90-100%.  He was our best bat and will likely still be a top 3-4 bat on the 2023 team.  We have alternatives but no surety at Santander's production level.  A Brantley type would be a fit for the DH side of Santander's role.  But now is definitely a good time to shop him.

Mateo/Urias/Hays - I'm pretty motivated.  80% of market value is still a win in my book because we can back-fill in-house and it reallocates to other positions/timelines of need.

Mountcastle - Bell's contract is appealing.  Abreu's didn't break the bank either.  But I do think Mountcastle has a really good chance for a plus 2023.  Short of signing one of those, I'd want 100+% of MV since we don't have an in-house answer at the moment.  (One of my big critiques this past season was why none of our legit prospects have any game time at 1B.  I'm also fine with the games they are playing to get AAAA type 1B in the org.)

35 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

If signing Abreu and Bassitt - who are not the top free agents on the market (not even close) is not "realistic" to the Orioles, then the Orioles are more pathetic than we give them credit for. 

If you thought the Orioles were going to give out $120 mil worth of contracts this offseason then idk what to tell you. 

34 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

@Sports Guy - I'm pretty close to where you are.  

Mullins would have to blow me away.  Like I'd want 110+% of MV.  (More because of replacement cost for his level of production on both sides of the ball.)

Santander - I'm pretty close to full market value, like 90-100%.  He was our best bat and will likely still be a top 3-4 bat on the 2023 team.  We have alternatives but no surety at Santander's production level.  A Brantley type would be a fit for the DH side of Santander's role.  But now is definitely a good time to shop him.

Mateo/Urias/Hays - I'm pretty motivated.  80% of market value is still a win in my book because we can back-fill in-house and it reallocates to other positions/timelines of need.

Mountcastle - Bell's contract is appealing.  Abreu's didn't break the bank either.  But I do think Mountcastle has a really good chance for a plus 2023.  Short of signing one of those, I'd want 100+% of MV since we don't have an in-house answer at the moment.  (One of my big critiques this past season was why none of our legit prospects have any game time at 1B.  I'm also fine with the games they are playing to get AAAA type 1B in the org.)

My concern with Santander is that he has largely been unreliable and not very durable.

Couple that with declining defense and a generally poorish OBP and he just doesn’t scream “must keep for me”.

Now, there are some trends that are good and he is a guy that if he can’t stay healthy, should be productive. I don’t question any of that but I question if can be on the field enough for it to matter.

32 minutes ago, oriole said:

The window is now in my eyes and it would be good to go all in for a few years instead of waiting for Holliday to show in Rutschmans last year on the team

Holliday will be here within 2 years.

And if you want to trade him, that’s fine..but that’s an awful return, especially since we already have a CFer arguably as good or better and we have other SS prospects.

That’s making a trade just to say you did something. 

35 minutes ago, LTO's said:

If you thought the Orioles were going to give out $120 mil worth of contracts this offseason then idk what to tell you. 

But it’s not unrealistic to think they could have added 40M to the payroll..especially since they are likely to add 30ishM or more and that doesn’t include any potential trades of guys making money that are on the roster.

It’s easily affordable for them to do it. If you want to say it’s unrealistic, that’s only because ownership doesn’t care enough to do it, which I agree with but let’s not act like they can’t do it.