John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He didn’t set a trap. Today was a PR event. John wanted today to be about him. 

I’m not saying John is not sincere about helping the community. That said why hold this today if it’s not about promotion? 

Why invite baseball media to a community event? Because you want them to ask about the team and then say "How dare you!"

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I'm not sure where to put this but didn't think it merited its own thread. Richmond has approved construction of a new 8,000 seat stadium to replace the existing AA stadium affiliated with the SF Giants. Hard date for opening in 2025. I got this from a VP of the construction Co awarded a $1 B contract to build it over the weekend. I only mention it because apparently the Nats tried to move AAA Rochester to Richmond in 2021 and were expected to try again when the new facility was done. Probably not good news for Norfolk if that happened.  https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com/richmond-moves-forward-on-flying-squirrels-ballpark/

Huh, did not realize the Red Wings are Nationals now. I had to double check because I could have sworn they were still Twins. You are right. Don’t know how I missed that, because I spend at least a few weeks in Rochester every year. I haven’t been to a Red Wings game since 2019. 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

...because Baltimore is 62.6% African-American. And Angelos was right, it wasn't the time or place for the question, but Connolly was also right, in that there is no apparent right time or place for the question. 

We all understand that. 

You can’t own a business in which people from all types of backgrounds, politics, incomes, etc can all be joined as one and then ignore answering to those same people. Sports owners have a chance to unite people. He wants all the glory with no accountability. 

He is making a fortune from this team. When he sells, even more. How hard is it to be available? His father sold this narrative for years that local ownership protected the team from leaving,  the hell it did, it was OPACY. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We all understand that. 

You can’t own a business in which people from all types of backgrounds, politics, incomes, etc can all be joined as one and then ignore answering to those same people. Sports owners have a chance to unite people. He wants all the glory with no accountability. 

He is making a fortune from this team. When he sells, even more. How hard is it to be available? His father sold this narrative for years that local ownership protected the team from leaving,  the hell it did, it was OPACY. 

Was it even OPACY or is it just the fact that it's really hard to get the other owners to approve a move?

33 minutes ago, Finisher said:

It wasn't even a hard hitting question. "What are you plans a year, 2, 5." Meaning, what is the ownership plan i.e. selling the team etc.

HOW DARE YOU ASK QUESTIONS ON MLK DAY!

What a POS.

IMO its a stupid question.   What is John supposed to say?

My father who is owner has been ill for the last five years as you should know.  I was appointed executive in charge of the O's by my mother.   For tax reasons we can't address the ownership until my father passes.  That could be days, months or years.  I have not control over that.

John is not going to say that in public.   So its an unanswerable question.

A least he didn't say its none of your ------ business.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

IMO its a stupid question.   What is John supposed to say?

My father who is owner has been ill for the last five years as you should know.  I was appointed executive in charge of the O's by my mother.   For tax reason we can't address the ownership until my father passes.  That could be days, month or years.  I have not control over that.

John is not going to say that in public.   So its an unanswerable question.

A least he didn't say its none of your ------ business.

Wouldn't a non-answer reply been better than being confrontational?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was it even OPACY or is it just the fact that it's really hard to get the other owners to approve a move?

I think OPACY was huge. The Orioles sold for a then record amount of money for any sports franchise. At time of course no Nationals and Ravens.  

Your second point is still 100% valid. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We all understand that. 

I dislike Angelos (all of them) as much as the next guy, but this is teetering on athletes need to be role models logic, which I disagree with whole heartedly. All owners are in it for the money (not the community). Every. Single. One. Of. Them. We're just annoyed because John Angelos rubs our faces in it a bit more than most owners with his lack of spending. And the elephant is the room is if Elias would answer these questions (honestly) then John Angelos wouldn't have to. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

I dislike Angelos (all of them) as much as the next guy, but this is teetering on athletes need to be role models logic, which I disagree with whole heartedly. All owners are in it for the money (not the community). Every. Single. One. Of. Them. We're just annoyed because John Angelos rubs our faces in it a bit more than most owners with his lack of spending. And the elephant is the room is if Elias would answer these questions (honestly) then John Angelos wouldn't have to. 

I think some owners in sports have more of a competitive drive to invest more resources in a winning program. Whether that comes more from a personal desire to win or viewing it as a long-term investment to generate a more profitable franchise is tough to determine. I think winning is more important to Steve Cohen than it is to the Angelos'.

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It’s not Mike Elias job to answer these questions. Mike runs the baseball ops. These are business questions. This is 100% on John. 

This isn’t about athletes being role models, it’s about the positive impact a franchise can have on a community. This isn’t about his payroll spending to me either. You can still make your money and be accountable to the fans. This isn’t hard. 

What was stopping him from having a business executive from the team being there today instead of him? The man never shows his face and then all of the sudden says look at me?

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think some owners in sports have more of a competitive drive to invest more resources in a winning program. Whether that comes more from a personal desire to win or viewing it as a long-term investment to generate a more profitable franchise is tough to determine. I think winning is more important to Steve Cohen than it is to the Angelos'.

I think the Mets are still a shiny new toy for Cohen. I'll be curious to see if he's still handing out huge contracts in five years or so. 

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I get what you are saying here but to me it’s not really about this. 

Speaking of money I recall a story when the Browns moved here. Clearly Modell didn’t move here because he loved crab cakes. That said, Scott Garceau was the first radio announcer. He said Modell told him to tell it like it is, be honest. The fans deserve that, etc. Point being was hold the team accountable. 

If you are going to be the front man, act like it.