John Angelos: Mike Elias “going to be here a long time, and so is Sig (Mejdal) and all the folks”

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he sounds like an idiot, but your MLK point is hilarious.  

Maybe idiot is strong but needing all those words to say he hires good and capable people from any background is not impressive. It sounds like a rambling man who realizes he made a fool of himself and is hoping to correct it. 

This reads like a PR piece. 

The reporters were not insinuating the team was moving they were asking about the lease. I know it’s easy to connect the two but how it is being presented is not fair. 

Yesterday’s story he tweeted out, not this one. I’m sure that was not accidental. Some people took shots at John and Roch.  

Just now, waroriole said:

Maybe idiot is strong but needing all those words to say he hires good and capable people from any background is not impressive. It sounds like a rambling man who realizes he made a fool of himself and is hoping to correct it. 

It kind of echoes the press release they put out when they hired Perry:

“Today, I am extremely proud to announce that yet another highly sought-after, world-class executive from the entertainment, sports, or media industries has accepted my invitation to join the Orioles, as the Club continues to recruit the most talented, forward-thinking individuals inside or outside of MLB and the media space,” said Orioles Chairman and CEO John Angelos. “During his two decades covering the world’s biggest stories for the most prestigious media organizations, including CNN, MSNBC, and Al Jazeera, Cal Perry’s reputation as a master storyteller and journalist who brings his audience to the front lines of generational news and human-interest stories, from middle America to the Middle East, is unmatched. Cal joins the Orioles’ Senior Leadership Team at a transformational moment, when there are countless stories to tell, memories to make, and visitors to attract to this community as we expand the Club’s on-field progress and important leadership role in helping the City of Baltimore reach its full potential.”

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-orioles-name-cal-perry-senior-vice-president-and-chief-content-off

I’d call it long-winded and a bit overblown.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It kind of echoes the press release they put out when they hired Perry:

“Today, I am extremely proud to announce that yet another highly sought-after, world-class executive from the entertainment, sports, or media industries has accepted my invitation to join the Orioles, as the Club continues to recruit the most talented, forward-thinking individuals inside or outside of MLB and the media space,” said Orioles Chairman and CEO John Angelos. “During his two decades covering the world’s biggest stories for the most prestigious media organizations, including CNN, MSNBC, and Al Jazeera, Cal Perry’s reputation as a master storyteller and journalist who brings his audience to the front lines of generational news and human-interest stories, from middle America to the Middle East, is unmatched. Cal joins the Orioles’ Senior Leadership Team at a transformational moment, when there are countless stories to tell, memories to make, and visitors to attract to this community as we expand the Club’s on-field progress and important leadership role in helping the City of Baltimore reach its full potential.”

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-orioles-name-cal-perry-senior-vice-president-and-chief-content-off

I’d call it long-winded and a bit overblown.  

I'd call it wildy dishonest about Cal Perry and Cal Perry's career.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He mentioned the Cal Perry hiring too: 

“That’s huge to me,” Angelos said. “Somebody from a totally different industry, really from the industry of journalism who’s been an international person and wanted to be a part of this. And we’ve had others who have come on board, either from other organizations, from other sports entirely, or from other industries entirely, and that’s going to happen more and more because this city is too important of a place not to get the best and the brightest.”

I have no doubt that John Angelos is thrilled with the hiring of a guy with Perry's background. I'm sure he's already spinning this for Angelos. 

Seems strange to me that the owner would make this comment about a hire like Perry. It's almost like Perry himself wrote that part about this being such a great hire. :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

"Prestigious media organizations" 🤣

Is that like "jumbo shrimp?" 

100%. The sooner this family sells the team the better it will be. I'm going to go focus on the baseball aspects because the silliness of everything that comes out of this ownership just gets worse and worse the more they open their mouths. 

58 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He sounds like an idiot. Plus, how dare he gives those quotes to Roch on MLK Day. 

The hypocrisy is real with this John Angelos. I'm sure his propagandist is working hard though to try and spin this away from his train wreck of a press conference.

Then again, the entire press conference was called to pat himself on the back for his work instead of just releasing a press statement. He got on his high horse claiming how inappropriate a question was from Connolly (who was doing his job by asking a question to the ownership representative about more important things after being told he could ask questions) and then proceeds to talk about his propagandists hiring like they signed Bassitt. 

Can't make this stuff up. Well at least not yet! 

Perry as Toto pulls the curtain back, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seems strange to me that the owner would make this comment about a hire like Perry. It's almost like Perry himself wrote that part about this being such a great hire. :D

I think that’s entirely possible, maybe even likely.