....Zack Britton reunion?

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, the $2 mm is because he won’t pitch the full season.  Look at it this way - if you ignored the injury, could Green have gotten a 3/$27 mm deal as a free agent reliever based on his track record?   I’d say probably yes.  So if he pitches like his old self when he returns, I’d say there’s a decent chance the option gets exercised.   

Interesting. I have not followed his situation closely but 3 year commitment at $9M per would put him in pretty elite territory. How many non-elite non-closers get that kind of money? Maybe he is better regarded than I am thinking?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting. I have not followed his situation closely but 3 year commitment at $9M per would put him in pretty elite territory. How many non-elite non-closers get that kind of money? Maybe he is better regarded than I am thinking?

Green is relatively elite.  Among relievers, he ranks 12th in total fWAR for the years 2016-22 (which are the years he’s played).   As to other non-closers, Adam Ottavino got 3/$27 mm a few years ago.   We paid Darren O’Day 4/$31 mm.  So, I’d say it’s a generous contract, but not unprecedented.   And, it’s an option.   

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn’t seem that a reunion is likely:

“Former All-Star closer Zack Britton is hosting a workout for six interested clubs today, tweets Jon Heyman of the New York Post. Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are one of the six teams in attendance. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the Angels, Giants, Dodgers, Cubs and Rangers were also in attendance. The Angels, in particular, have been linked to Brittonin recent weeks. Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press, meanwhile, writes that the Tigers have had interest in Britton, though it doesn’t seem they attended today’s showcase.

“It’s the second time the 35-year-old Britton has thrown for teams this offseason, though the first was more of a leaguewide showcase. That took place back in mid-January, and it stands to reason that today’s workout will offer his most interested suitors a chance to get another look at him as he gears up for a potential signing.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/zack-britton-rumors-mets-angels-dodgers-cubs-gianrs-rangers-tigers.html

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We probably should be kicking/punting/tackling the tires on this one. Sign me up for just 20-30 IP until we get this disaster fixed. 

Just because Britton was a good pitcher for us 5 years ago doesn’t mean he’s any good now.  The fact that he’s unsigned ought to tell you something.  

Anyway, you seem to be pushing the panic button very early.  

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am of the view that if he doesn't have a job in April he's overvaluing himself.

He hasn't had a good season since 2019.

At one time all of our last core group owned houses near our ST complex. So it could be appealing to him to pitch down there for a few weeks(close to home), then a couple of minor league outings. 

I mean we’re desperate. I don’t that’s an over reaction. Britton should be an option. Give $3 million for 30 IP. That might be enough to save this disaster of a pen until we can Explore other options. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Just because Britton was a good pitcher for us 5 years ago doesn’t mean he’s any good now.  The fact that he’s unsigned ought to tell you something.  

Not the panic button. Wells is in the rotation. Givens and Tate are hurt. Khriebel looks like the same Khreibel from last August/September. Baker can never be trusted. 

This is just the reality. We saw last year how giving away games early in the year can cost you. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd say the last time he was really good for the O's was 2016.

I was shocked to see he only has 14 career rWAR.  I guess I thought he's been better in NY.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At one time all of our last core group owned houses near our ST complex. So it could be appealing to him to pitch down there for a few weeks(close to home), then a couple of minor league outings. 

I mean we’re desperate. I don’t that’s an over reaction. Britton should be an option. Give $3 million for 30 IP. That might be enough to save this disaster of a pen until we can Explore other options. 

Are the Orioles really desperate? We're six games into the season and while I don't think the pen is a strength, there are guys that should pitch better in Baker, Akin and Voth and Gillaspie has actually been decent. 

If the team finally pulls the DL Hall starter experiment and puts him in the pen, that should help things out as well. I see no reason to panic.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not the panic button. Wells is in the rotation. Givens and Tate are hurt. Khriebel looks like the same Khreibel from last August/September. Baker can never be trusted. 

This is just the reality. We saw last year how giving away games early in the year can cost you. 

Krehbiel is in Norfolk!

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Are the Orioles really desperate? We're six games into the season and while I don't think the pen is a strength, there are guys that should pitch better in Baker, Akin and Voth and Gillaspie has actually been decent. 

If the team finally pulls the DL Hall starter experiment and puts him in the pen, that should help things out as well. I see no reason to panic.

@Tony-OH Yeah we’re desperate with Givens and Tate out. When you have to trot out Gilaspie, Baker, and Akin, in innings 5-7. You’re desperate. Hall would be the immediate option to band aid right now. Britton could be another band aid. 

I don’t want to see this season get away from us. 

Also, keep in mind players can only be sent down during the first 10 days/games if there is an injury. So Elias might know we’re desperate. He just can’t make the changes right now.