Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

10 hours ago, banks703 said:

Not so. He’s never demonstrated this selectiveness, not even during his minor league career.

Have you read my posts in this thread?  Yes, he has done this before.  He walked about the same amount in September 2021 and September 2022.   I hope he keeps it up, but I’m not betting on it.  

Also, I read that since his return, he’s swinging at pitches outside the zone 35.9% of the time, compared to 41% before he went on the IL.   That’s a nice improvement, but 35.9% is still not good at all.  So, I’m hoping for even more improvement.  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also, I read that since his return, he’s swinging at pitches outside the zone 35.9% of the time, compared to 41% before he went on the IL.   That’s a nice improvement, but 35.9% is still not good at all.  So, I’m hoping for even more improvement.  

Is there more data here?  Like, where are the pitches outside the zone he's swinging at and what's the count? 

Mountcastle’s statcast page is 🔥

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/ryan-mountcastle-663624?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

When he was struggling, many people (coughmoosecough) didn’t want to hear about it but anyone hitting the ball as hard as he is and has been, isn’t as bad as the numbers were showing.

He is still limited in some ways but he does mash the ball.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/ryan-mountcastle-663624?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

When he was struggling, many people (coughmoosecough) didn’t want to hear about it but anyone hitting the ball as hard as he is and has been, isn’t as bad as the numbers were showing.

That's a lot of dark red

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Call me when he cools off. 

He’s on a great heater right now though. Maybe the bad luck that’s hampered him for over two years will go away and he’ll have a streak of two lucky years ahead of him as recompense. 

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Guilty as charged here. I was very skeptical when they brought him back off the IL, especially since he wasn't even until the very end of his rehab. The team didn't say much about his vertigo or how they were addressing it. I thought maybe they were making something up to give him a reset. It sounds like it was actually quite serious and that he had been playing with it for a while. If that was the case, I can buy into him hitting to his career norm the rest of the way and that might be enough to keep his job for a while. 

Last night, just before he hit his homer, Mountcastle swung at two ankle-high breaking pitches for strikes and I was cursing him.  Then he hit a shin-high pitch for a homer.   The pitcher should have stuck with ankle-high!

Seriously though, this is when I worry about what comes next.  When Miuntcastle gets a few big hits on pitches that aren’t close to being strikes, that’s when he starts swinging at those pitches all the time, because he feels he can hit them.  But then it catches up to him and he goes into a funk.  So I’m enjoying this heater, and hope it continues as long as possible, but I’m worried about how he’ll adjust when it ends.  

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I would love to see RM continue the heater for another month or so. He needs to pile up the counting stats so he has some trade value in the off season. He's young and cheap so he has some value. Love to see him included in a trade for a pitcher....

I still want him gone. He goes on the crazy streaks which make his overall numbers palatable. But he stinks for large chunks of time too. The O's need more out of 1B.