Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

4 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

Orioles fans Hate for Ryan Mountcastle will always confuse me. The kid is good 

Certainly don't hate him but with all the talent about to knock on the door from the minors there's good reason to think one of them could possibly be a better power hitting first baseman.  You never know but I'd be surprised if Mountcastle ever hits over .800 OPS for a season again.  He's just too streaky. 

4 hours ago, joelala said:

I think it’s mostly just on this forum. He’s our best power hitter and a fun guy so I imagine non-baseball nerds like him. 

You would think it would be the other way around because nerds know the #'s but most look threw a glass that is half empty instead of half full when we know the difference of being a below average player to being a good player or a great player is slim... If I was a nerd I would calculate some good luck into Mountcastles #'s and give him 1 more hit and 1 more walk a week and see how good his #'s could be if he had a little luck.... I would also like to do that with Mateo's stats last year and see what that would've added to his #'s and overall war but I'm not nerdy/smart enough...  :) 

I root for Mountcastle but he’s a deeply frustrating player IMO. very fun when he’s got, but he drives me nuts most of the time. Mountcastle will have to better if he wants to be an oriole after this year.  Kjerstad is going to be a major threat to his job pretty darn soon. 

by the way, Mountcastle’s OPS Has trended down every season since he was promoted. Not a good look. 

8 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

You would think it would be the other way around because nerds know the #'s but most look threw a glass that is half empty instead of half full when we know the difference of being a below average player to being a good player or a great player is slim... If I was a nerd I would calculate some good luck into Mountcastles #'s and give him 1 more hit and 1 more walk a week and see how good his #'s could be if he had a little luck.... I would also like to do that with Mateo's stats last year and see what that would've added to his #'s and overall war but I'm not nerdy/smart enough...  :) 

You don’t have to be a nerd to see that he swings at too many bad pitches. His problem is not bad luck, it’s poor swing decisions. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

You don’t have to be a nerd to see that he swings at too many bad pitches. His problem is not bad luck, it’s poor swing decisions. 

Yes I understand that he needs to take out some off the swing and miss and lower his chase rate but you can't tell me he doesn't have a problem with bad luck with 203 BABIP 

• Upvote 2

It's just too much swing and miss. Swinging at balls outside the strike zone. It's not what this team is going to be moving forward. People were confused by the Frazier signing but that's who they want, he might not put up any numbers but he always gives a good at bat and makes a pitcher work. He won't bail a guy out who is struggling, Mountcastle will.

His power is good, but it's not enough to offset his flaws. I see him being a sub .250 hitter with a .300 OBP, for that I need 40 homers and I just don't see it, especially in this ballpark.

Ideally, he would be better off hitting lower in the lineup but we don't have more viable options yet. I can live with he does if he's hitting 6/7 as opposed to 3/4.

A player with his BB/SO ratio typically does not get better. It usually gets worse as guys age.

Ryan has a problem. He is making it too easy for the opponents pitcher because he is swinging at crap. If he is going to swing at crap, then the pitcher is never going to throw him a strike in the zone that he can hit hard. Therefor, the pitcher will keep throwing low ball beneath and away from the zone until Mountcastle can prove he will take the ball and take the walks.  Otherwise, why would any pitcher worth his salt give Mounty a ball he can hit out of the park if he doesn't have to?

He's gotta stop swinging at junk.

He is 26 and only has 1300 ab's so he has time to figure it out before he starts to age....Of course he's not a all star but he is a good player and I'll take a  260 AVG and 310 OBP with 25 to 30 HR's while he's trying to figure it out because I understand there's a slim margin from being a good to above average player....I don't believe he's had enough at bats to think that he's trending in the wrong direction   

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I root for Mountcastle but he’s a deeply frustrating player IMO. very fun when he’s got, but he drives me nuts most of the time. Mountcastle will have to better if he wants to be an oriole after this year.  Kjerstad is going to be a major threat to his job pretty darn soon. 

by the way, Mountcastle’s OPS Has trended down every season since he was promoted. Not a good look. 

I'm pretty sure that Elias has picked Kjerstad to replace Mountcastle.  I know Mountcastle does some things well, but plate discipline is not one of them.

10 hours ago, PsychoBird68 said:

10 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

No you do not have to be a nerd.  Not even to answer PB's question above.  Why you only need to know your baseball movie trivia.  The great Crash Davis laid it out perfectly while getting intoxicated in a pool hall.  While I recommend seeing the whole movie, here for your pleasure PyscoBird68, is what just a little luck can do for a baseball player over a season of 500 at bats: