Vespi plans to be ready by Opening Day

wildcard

From Steve Melewski of MASN:

“The surgery went great. I’m feeling well,” he (Vespi) said. “Cleared to throw, so I am starting to throw already and I’ll be ready for opening day.”

Vespi recorded a 4.10 ERA in 25 Orioles games with an ERA of 0.00 in 28 2/3 innings at the Triple-A level.

"It’s a little disappointing (to miss the WBC)," he said. "That would have been a really cool experience, but at the end of the day, I’m mostly focused on opening day and winning with the Orioles.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/rutschman-on-fans-rodriguez-on-chasing-roster-spot-during-o-s-birdland-caravan-event

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Even if 100% healthy, and a full ST, with a good showing, I don’t think Vespi would make the OD roster.  It’s looking like Vespi and Khreibel will be solid up/down guys that can give us 30-40 IP. That’s real solid depth. 

Agree… but who is the third LH reliever? Hernandez? I think I’d rather have Vespi. And all the while I don’t trust Akin either and he’s a virtual lock. 

31 minutes ago, Orange said:

Agree… but who is the third LH reliever? Hernandez? I think I’d rather have Vespi. And all the while I don’t trust Akin either and he’s a virtual lock. 

No 3rd lefty.  Bullpen is set, pending a ST trade.

Bautista

Tate

Baker

Wells

Perez

Givens

Akin

Voth

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No 3rd lefty.  Bullpen is set, pending a ST trade.

Bautista

Tate

Baker

Wells

Perez

Givens

Akin

Voth

Not to be pedantic, but that requires not only all 8 of those guys to be healthy on OD, but also all 5 starters- Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez- to be healthy as well.  I'd bet against that being the case.

33 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Not to be pedantic, but that requires not only all 8 of those guys to be healthy on OD, but also all 5 starters- Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez- to be healthy as well.  I'd bet against that being the case.

I can only go with what I have now.  They don't pay me to predict the unpredictable.   Under you're rules we can't guess on the starting lineup, rotation, or bullpen because something might happen.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I can only go with what I have now.  They don't pay me to predict the unpredictable.   Under you're rules we can't guess on the starting lineup, rotation, or bullpen because something might happen.

If the season started today we would go with the pen as you described it. I just don’t think we’ll go into the season with one lefty in the rotation and two in the bullpen. I don’t buy it. However, I don’t know what else we could do… today, at least. Voth is out of options... maybe trade him for a solid LHRP?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So Hall goes to AAA and is lights out for 4 to 6 weeks.   Then is there room in the rotation for him or does he go to the pen?

Fits in the category of “I’ll worry about it when it happens.”   There’s so many permutations of health and performance by the various potential starters that it’s not possible to answer this question right now.  

28 minutes ago, Orange said:

If the season started today we would go with the pen as you described it. I just don’t think we’ll go into the season with one lefty in the rotation and two in the bullpen. I don’t buy it. However, I don’t know what else we could do… today, at least. Voth is out of options... maybe trade him for a solid LHRP?

The right lefty reliever thing is so overrated.  Just give me the 8 best.