BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

For some quick reference to the Cubs system, here are the views of Baseball America, Kevin Goldstein, and John Sickels

Baseball America's Top 10 Cubs Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3b

2. Jeff Samardzija, rhp

3. Andrew Cashner, rhp

4. Dae-Eun Rhee, rhp

5. Wellington Castillo, c

6. Kevin Hart, rhp

7. Starlin Castro, ss/2b

8. Ryan Flaherty, ss

9. Jay Jackson, rhp

10. Hak-Ju Lee, ss

John Sickels' Top 20 Cubs Prospects

1) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade B+: Hopefully the home run power should start to come in 2009. Great contact hitting skills and still very young.

2) Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Grade B: I have no idea what to expect here. Could be great, could be horrible, track record very erratic.

3) Ryan Flaherty, SS, Grade B: Looks like a solid all-around player to me.

4) Andrew Cashner, RHP, Grade B-: High ceiling due to fastball and slider, command issues may slow progress.

5) Hak-Ju Lee, SS, Grade B-: Scouting reports look great, but want to see some numbers before ranking higher.

6) Jay Jackson, RHP, Grade B-: I LOVE this guy…good athlete, former philosophy major, throws hard, throws strikes, great pro debut. I think he is underrated by other sources.

7) Tyler Colvin, OF, Grade C+: Still worried about his plate discipline.

8) Welington Castillo, C, Grade C+: Good glove, hits well in flashes, maybe a Miguel Olivo type?

9) Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP, Grade C+: Would rank higher if not for Tommy John.

10) Aaron Shafer, RHP, Grade C+: Wichita State product with sharp command. Elbow injury cost him velocity.

11) Starlin Castro, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

12) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

13) Dan McDaniel, RHP, Grade C+: Lots of strikeouts and grounders at Boise. Command an issue. Could rank as high as 10th.

14) Micah Hoffpauir, 1B, Grade C: Too old to rank higher but he has a major league bat. Where does he play?

15) Esmailin Caridad, RHP, Grade C: Low strikeout rate a concern, but I think he can do well in relief.

16) Don Veal, LHP, Grade C: Stock has fallen massively due to command and mechanical issues. Not protected for Rule 5, which tells you a lot.

17) Josh Kroeger, OF, Grade C: He finally learned some plate discipline and has done well in Triple-A. Getting old for a prospect.

18) Tony Thomas, 2B, Grade C: Strike zone judgment collapsed in Florida State League.

19) Chris Carpenter, RHP, Grade C: Command problems and poor health record reduce stock, but he throws very hard and has upside if he can stay away from doctors.

20) Mitch Atkins, RHP, Grade C: Possibly a fifth starter type if he can sharpen command more.

Kevin Goldstein's/Baseball Prospectus Top 11 Cubs Prospects

Five-Star Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3B

Four-Star Prospects

2. Jeff Samardzija, RHP

3. Jose Ceda, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

4. Hak-Ju Lee, SS

5. Andrew Cashner, RHP

6. Tyler Colvin, OF

7. Dae-Eun Rhee, LHP

8. Ryan Flaherty, SS

Two-Star Prospects

9. Welington Castillo, C

10. Donald Veal, LHP

11. Micah Hoffpauir, 1B

Just Missed: Matt Cedra, INF; Jay Jackson, RHP; Logan Watkins, INF

Interesting that Ceda ranks as a 4-star for Goldstein but doesn't crack the top 20 for Sickells. Gotta love prospect season!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds good, now all the Cubs need is the Mother of all bakesales to come up with the $8M to pay Roberts ;)

What remains of Hendry's budget will go toward that 5th starter. Hopefully it's Peavy, using some or all of the trade chips you mention. If not, and a different #5 is signed as a FA, then I suspect the Hills and the Pies will be dealt away during the spring to whichever team has the most need, with miscellaneous non-roster prospects coming back.

Now in July, when ~$5M of that 8 has already been paid to Roberts, then maybe.

I think this makes the most sense. Teams will be able to appraise whether or not Roberts's value will make a significant difference come July -- and I think BAL is more likely to get a 2-for-1 with one good and one solid prospect coming back. Nothing elite, but a nice little package. If the market isn't there, you get the draft picks. Unfortunately, it's just a reality of the trade market right now.

Sounds good, now all the Cubs need is the Mother of all bakesales to come up with the $8M to pay Roberts ;)

What remains of Hendry's budget will go toward that 5th starter. Hopefully it's Peavy, using some or all of the trade chips you mention. If not, and a different #5 is signed as a FA, then I suspect the Hills and the Pies will be dealt away during the spring to whichever team has the most need, with miscellaneous non-roster prospects coming back.

Now in July, when ~$5M of that 8 has already been paid to Roberts, then maybe.

Using Marshall, Samardzja, Gaudin, or Guzman as a #5 solves the money issue. As others have discussed, where is the money coming from to pay Peavy (if the deal is made)? I certainly would be for using one of the names I mentioned and obtaining Roberts over signing someone like Wolf and giving away Pie, Hill, and Cedeno for next to nothing.

Using Marshall, Samardzja, Gaudin, or Guzman as a #5 solves the money issue. As others have discussed, where is the money coming from to pay Peavy (if the deal is made)? I certainly would be for using one of the names I mentioned and obtaining Roberts over signing someone like Wolf and giving away Pie, Hill, and Cedeno for next to nothing.

I'll listen to that argument.

The Cubs are in a good situation inasmuch as they can splurge on a guy they don't absolutely need, be it Peavy or Roberts, and still make ends meet inexpensively at the opposite spot, either with the #5 guys you just mentioned or with a Fontenot/Miles platoon.

I prefer Peavy + Fontenot/Miles myself, and that appears (to some) to be what Hendry is trying to make work.

The Cubs are in a good situation inasmuch as they can splurge on a guy they don't absolutely need, be it Peavy or Roberts, and still make ends meet inexpensively at the opposite spot, either with the #5 guys you just mentioned or with a Fontenot/Miles platoon.

I prefer Peavy + Fontenot/Miles myself, and that appears (to some) to be what Hendry is trying to make work.

All of us Cub fans would prefer that option. My point is that if we can't get a decent option for a starter, we should stay in-house. The question still remains - Where does Hendry get the money to pay any acquisition? Personally, I think Hendry has (or can get) the okay to add someone like Peavy or Roberts.

I thought the signing of Bradley was pretty much the nail in the coffin on Peavy. They clear out the salary they need with the Marquis deal, but then turn around and take it right back on in another position.

I got the impression that getting that production in RF meant they were done trying to upgrade the offense and would go with Fontenot, and that salary meant they'd go with their existing rotation.

Tinkering with the Cubs is just pointless, they are a playoff team as it is, just let them play.

Archived