Grayson Rodriguez Expectations

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’d certainly give him a chance for redemption his next time out but he was amateurish tonight.

Hyde just told us he is going to make his next start.  Kind of suck.  Should send him down and make him go six innings over and over before we have to sit though this mega crap.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Hyde just told us he is going to make his next start.  Kind of suck.  Should send him down and make him go six innings over and over before we have to sit though this mega crap.

Sending him down after tonight seems like punishment plus, is there a clear upgrade to take his place.  GRod was embarrassingly bad tonight.   The leash just got shortened.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’d certainly give him a chance for redemption his next time out but he was amateurish tonight.

Sure, I can agree with that. He's gotta be next on the chopping block for a demotion I would think. Irvin has been pitching pretty well of late n AAA...

Just now, Es4M11 said:

Sure, I can agree with that. He's gotta be next on the chopping block for a demotion I would think. Irvin has been pitching pretty well of late n AAA...

I don’t have much confidence in Irvin being better than what GRod had done up until tonight.

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Well, how's everyone feeling now? Thought this might be worth a revisit. I came into this season somewhat pessimistic. Worse than I thought so far.

It's not the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

It was strange on the radio they said after the debacle in KC ,that he should do better because he is more comfortable with Adley. Comfortable tonight but not good. 

Just now, Going Underground said:

It's not the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

It was strange on the radio they said after the debacle in KC ,that he should do better because he is more comfortable with Adley. Comfortable tonight but not good. 

Certainly not the end of the world. I think in the long run Grayson will be okay, though his prospects of being a solid rotation piece at some point this season are starting to come into question a little.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sending him down after tonight seems like punishment plus, is there a clear upgrade to take his place.  GRod was embarrassingly bad tonight.   The leash just got shortened.

Irvin has been pitching well.  Limiting the walks and I assume better control.  Not sure what GrayRod is "learning" by taking such a beating. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t have much confidence in Irvin being better than what GRod had done up until tonight.

Of course, but I think if Grayson has another outing resembling tonight, then there won't be much choice then to give Irvin, or maybe Voth a shot. Seems to me Rodriguez will have to earn his next few starts beyond the one upcoming.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Irvin has been pitching well.  Limiting the walks and I assume better control.  Not sure what GrayRod is "learning" by taking such a beating. 

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.   Grayson, is hopefully getting tougher.  It’s sink or swim time, baby! 

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Of course, but I think if Grayson has another outing resembling tonight, then there won't be much choice then to give Irvin, or maybe Voth a shot. Seems to me Rodriguez will have to earn his next few starts beyond the one upcoming.

We agree.

4 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

Unless we have someone who is unquestionably better than Grayson, or he totally falls apart, I don't see the benefit in sending him down.  Whatever he needs to learn or work on imo is best done for him now at the major league level.

That works when all you care about is player development but we are trying to win ball games here. Grayson may still give us the best chance to do that but that could change if any of the AAA guys step up. You could say the same thing about Hall. Maybe it's time to give him a shot and see if he can learn on the fly.