Tate to begin year on IL plus other notes

eddie83

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel like you said it a couple times during spring training. Maybe I'm wrong and if so, my bad. 

Either way - curious about why you're so pessimistic on Tate's chances of a return. 

Oh..you mean I said it multiple times for Tate. My bad. I may have.

I just don’t trust forearm strain- shut down for a few months-everything back to normal scenarios.

Not saying it can’t or won’t or doesn’t happen but I’m just not optimistic about it until I actually see it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel like you said it a couple times during spring training. Maybe I'm wrong and if so, my bad. 

Either way - curious about why you're so pessimistic on Tate's chances of a return. 

I know I was very pessimistic.

1) Because it is a "forearm strain" and we have seen that morph into Tommy John MANY times.

2) Because they said the injury was first noted in November and he was unable to pitch until now.

I had a bad feeling and felt we wouldn't see him at all this year.   Looks like I might be wrong and I coudln't be happier.

Let’s say Tate is fine…what’s his role?

Last year he was the set up man, or at the least the righty set up man especially after Lopez left.

Thats Cano now and Tate isn’t taking that away anytime soon.

I also don’t think he’s better than Baker.

A lot of these pitchers like routine. Seems like he won’t have that for a while and will be used earlier, unless guys are overworked.  Wonder if it will have any effect on him?

Im skeptical of him as it is.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Last year he was the set up man, or at the least the righty set up man especially after Lopez left.

A lot of these pitchers like routine. Seems like he won’t have that for a while and will be used earlier, unless guys are overworked.

Tate is a trade candidate based on his arb price anyway, so I kind of think he could get dealt if he's healthy. I'm sure teams would want to confirm that he's healthy and getting outs at the ML level though. 

I think the O's just try to delay a decision as long as possible. Let him rehab for at least a full ST down there. 

Just now, interloper said:

Tate is a trade candidate based on his arb price anyway, so I kind of think he could get dealt if he's healthy. I'm sure teams would want to confirm that he's healthy and getting outs at the ML level though. 

I think the O's just try to delay a decision as long as possible. Let him rehab for at least a full ST down there. 

I think there is a 21 day limit on minor league rehabs?   (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A lot of these pitchers like routine. Seems like he won’t have that for a while and will be used earlier, unless guys are overworked.  Wonder if it will have any effect on him?

Im skeptical of him as it is.

I think are plenty of setup/middle relief innings to go around, even if he has to earn his way into the top late game set of Baker/Cano/Bautista.

I don’t see that being a huge detriment to Tate though, has he ever had a role where he really “owned” a certain inning? I think last year he’d pitch the 8th sometimes but be the first reliever in the 6th other times. 

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Anyone know why Tate was taken out of the game after throwing eight pitches for Bowie? Very weird line: 8 pitches ,2 walks ,one intentional with no hits and 2 runs given up.

Don’t know this person but saw it. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, Going Underground said:

8 pitches seems like a very short pitch count but maybe coming up tomorrow 

I think Hyde said the other day that Tate and Givens both had several more appearances to go. I certainly hope they wouldn't bring Tate up after it's clear he can't get AA hitters out right now. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think Hyde said the other day that Tate and Givens both had several more appearances to go. I certainly hope they wouldn't bring Tate up after it's clear he can't get AA hitters out right now. 

Doesn't a major league pitcher that is rehabbing in the minors have to come up to the majors after 30 days? Unless of course an injury concern or option. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Doesn't a major league pitcher that is rehabbing in the minors have to come up to the majors after 30 days? Unless of course an injury concern or option. 

Yes, but it hasn’t been close to 30 days for either of them.  Tate’s rehab started April 25.

• Like 1

A lot can happen.  I think Akin goes for Givens.  Then it sounds like Tate with will be 7-10 days behind that.  We could send down Baumann just to keep everyone.  However, I think Perez needs to show something over the next 2-3 weeks or he's in trouble.  

What worries me is that with Givens and Tate back, we won't have optionable pieces.  

Buatista - not going anywhere - three optons

Cano - Same - two options

Baker - two options

Tate - two options

Givens - no options

Columbe - no options

Akin - one option

Perez - no options

Baumann - one option

Voth - no options

Depending on how things go with Tate, maybe since he's got two options, that he's not a given to come back right away.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A lot can happen.  I think Akin goes for Givens.  Then it sounds like Tate with will be 7-10 days behind that.  We could send down Baumann just to keep everyone.  However, I think Perez needs to show something over the next 2-3 weeks or he's in trouble.  

What worries me is that with Givens and Tate back, we won't have optionable pieces.  

Buatista - not going anywhere - three optons

Cano - Same - two options

Baker - two options

Tate - two options

Givens - no options

Columbe - no options

Akin - one option

Perez - no options

Baumann - one option

Voth - no options

Depending on how things go with Tate, maybe since he's got two options, that he's not a given to come back right away.  

Givens started his rehab on April 28th. I guess we will see if he comes up quicker then Tate. He has not thrown back to back days and not sure he has pitched every other day yet. He last threw on Friday,if he throws tomorrow it would be four days  between outings.