Orioles vs Twins, Sarasota, Sat Feb 25

SteveA

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Elias just said Mazara has inside track to make team, bad news for McKenna or Vavra?

On Mayo: "whether he plays 3B, RF or 1B, we think he'll be a good defender".    First in-org acknowledgement I've heard around RF/1B possibility.

Cowser 1st defensive inning in Spring Training is in CF for Mullins.    Cameron-Cowser-Kjerstad the middle innings outfield second shift.

Perhaps Stowers is not a lock. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Melewski does a nice job both on PBP and color, by the way.  Not a beautiful radio voice, but he knows a lot about the players and he’s smooth at the job. 

This is my first time hearing him.    His area of SME is very fixed, so I know the miscellaneous comments on depth minor leaguers is more genuine than anything Jim Hunter may have given in the past.

I do wonder, structurally, do Melewski and Hollander also get WBAL paychecks gig-economy like?    Or does WBAL just lease them from MASN.

Jackson Holliday in for Joey Ortiz - upgrade or downgrade for SS defense?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Winter said:

watching the young guys is exciting then there is a sloth bringing down the mood 

(Ope i mean listening*) but im already mentally prepared to end up with a bench of guys like Maraza at the expense of someone like Stowers 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Short answer: no.  To win a World Series you need three things: (1) Talent, (2) Health, and (3) Luck.  The talent is here. You mention streaky and yes, there are streaky players, but most players are streaky. Only the best of the best are able to really avoid long slumps (and even they have many mini ones during the course of a season).  Health is the next key. The losses of Means and Wells are tough, but manageable. The same for Mateo given how solid he's been. The uncertainty around Bradish is more concerning though (fingers crossed the fact he's not yet on the IL is a good sign). We will see where we are in the health department come the end of the year.  As for luck, that's where timing comes in. Yes, we have streaky hitters. If those streaky hitters are (mostly) hitting when the postseason comes around, all is good. If everyone is cold like the team was a few weeks back, then we are in for a postseason similar to the one we had last year. The better the players, the better the chance they won't be slumping, but luck is a significant factor. 
    • My argument is more along the lines of the wall in Baltimore is not going to turn a mediocre LHP into an average one, even if the wall holds the ball in the park, there is a lot of damage to be done out there in ElRods corner or down the line. We've seen plenty of guys clear the wall that aren't known for their power grades, it's not an insurmountable object.
    • Robert Jr. is talented and fun to watch when he's on the field, which is rarely in his career.
    • I looked into it a few months ago during one of the "why can't we hit lefties" discussions and found that our hitters were worse vs lefties at home than on the road in both '22 (.635 vs LHP at home,  .689 on the road) and especially '23 (.694 vs .835). It's just two months BUT this year that has reversed and our offense has been average vs lefties on the road, and dominating them at home to an .895 OPS... best in MLB by a mile on that split.  Looking at our own LHPs, they did dramatically better home than away in '22 (4.03 vs 5.41). Last  year they were marginally better on the road (3.95 vs 3.86), and this year they're slightly better at home (3.04 vs 3.34).  If we put this year's 33 game sample on hold for now, three of the four full-season splits we have showed a decent sized performance boost for LHPs in the new Camden. The fourth was close to neutral. I don't know enough about park factor stuff to know how predictive that is though. Seems pretty hard to pin down. 
    • Yea…if they actually try and want to do. 😜😁
    • Maybe get Kopech in the deal as well. I personally don’t believe there will be a stud reliever/closer type guy out there. But Kopech and a guy like Nardi could be good and I doubt we have to give up much to get them..at least much in the grand scheme of things.
    • Right, like Holliday can learn to play center field!  
  • Popular Contributors