Orioles vs Twins, Sarasota, Sat Feb 25

SteveA

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When did he say that?  Not on this broadcast, though it sounds like his service time may provide one.   

You heard what I heard.  Elias said players with years of service time have league allowed  opt outs. Mazara has 6 years of service time.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Such a fun afternoon as Holliday doubles.

Time to mindfully factor in this is the road half of a Twins split squad.

Not like it's being excited about proven vet players tearing apart minor league pitching in ST game it's developing prospects, which many are hyped about off to a good start to 2023. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Elias just said Mazara has inside track to make team, bad news for McKenna or Vavra?

On Mayo: "whether he plays 3B, RF or 1B, we think he'll be a good defender".    First in-org acknowledgement I've heard around RF/1B possibility.

Cowser 1st defensive inning in Spring Training is in CF for Mullins.    Cameron-Cowser-Kjerstad the middle innings outfield second shift.

Bad news for Vavra. He is kind of positionless right now. It explains the interest in Profar. 

This is a fun team with a lot going on in the minors with Ortiz, Cowser, Holliday, and Kjerstad. 

Can Vavra show enough this spring to beat our a player with a more defined role like O’Hearn or Mazara?  I hope. I also wouldn’t mind Profar on a team friendly deal either. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bad news for Vavra. He is kind of positionless right now. It explains the interest in Profar. 

This is a fun team with a lot going on in the minors with Ortiz, Cowser, Holliday, and Kjerstad. 

Can Vavra show enough this spring to beat our a player with a more defined role like O’Hearn or Mazara?  I hope. I also wouldn’t mind Profar on a team friendly deal either. 

I've seen Vavra play defense, I'm not sure what his position was before this.

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Melewski recalling the offseason Chance Sisco was the Orioles sole Top 100 prospect.

And he struck out 3 times today.  I continue to pull for Sisco, but I think the chances of him eeking out a respectable big-league career is slim.

6 minutes ago, yark14 said:

And he struck out 3 times today.  I continue to pull for Sisco, but I think the chances of him eeking out a respectable big-league career is slim.

The weird part is how folks here worried about his defense and it's the bat that's killing him.

At the end of the day I think he can hold his head high.  You have to be really good to be a marginal major league player.

17 hours ago, seak05 said:

If Austin Hays is the backup CF that is a roster construction problem (and why I can't imagine McKenna not making the team, who is the alternative backup?)

Not sure why this matters.  If Mullins were to get hurt, then you'd see McKenna called up.  You'd get a day or two of Hays at best.

Really what it means is less platoon of Mullins or defensive replacement of Santander.