2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Doubtful Adley gets a complete day off today with Monday and Thursday being normal off days.  If he was worn down or nicked up they might try to work so it’s two consecutive days but I assume he DH’s today and catches tomorrow and enjoys Monday and Thursday off this week.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Doubtful Adley gets a complete day off today with Monday and Thursday being normal off days.  If he was worn down or nicked up they might try to work so it’s two consecutive days but I assume he DH’s today and catches tomorrow and enjoys Monday and Thursday off this week.

I agree with you here. It's hard to take a guy out of the lineup when he's dialed in like this. On the other hand, he is a catcher so we know the days off are different for them.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree with you here. It's hard to take a guy out of the lineup when he's dialed in like this. On the other hand, he is a catcher so we know the days off are different for them.

Yea I don’t expect them to sit Adley but it wouldn’t be the worst decision.  Otoh, I believe they have a few days off coming up, so I’m sure that plays into their decision.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

With what I'm seeing, I might want to put both Mateo and Cedric at the top of the lineup with Adley (#3) and Mountcastle (cleanup) and drop Anthony down the lineup some until he gets back into his rhythm. 

Why would you bat the best hitter in the fifth most important spot?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you bat the best hitter in the fifth most important spot?

Most opponents would tell you Adley is the best hitter. Traditionally the best hitter bats 3. Traditionally Barry Bonds batted cleanup (#4) and Jeff Kent protected him batting #5. Rafael Palmeiro used to bat #5 for us at one point in time.  You want 2 fast guys who can consitently get on base in front of your best hitters becaus their speed can manufacture runs, and even if it's a fly ball, they're fast enough to move over and score on a sac fly.   But the real goal is to get a 3 run home run or a Grand Slam. Load up the bases so the sluggers can RBI more runs.

It's just a higher percentage shot of scoring more runs instead of leaving them stranded on base.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Most opponents would tell you Adley is the best hitter. Traditionally the best hitter bats 3. Traditionally Barry Bonds batted cleanup (#4) and Jeff Kent protected him batting #5. Rafael Palmeiro used to bat #5 for us at one point in time.  You want 2 fast guys who can consitently get on base in front of your best hitters becaus their speed can manufacture runs, and even if it's a fly ball, they're fast enough to move over and score on a sac fly.   But the real goal is to get a 3 run home run or a Grand Slam. Load up the bases so the sluggers can RBI more runs.

It's just a higher percentage shot of scoring more runs instead of leaving them stranded on base.

Tradition is wrong.

Go read The Book.

Adley should be hitting second.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tradition is wrong.

Go read The Book.

Adley should be hitting second.

Don't forget, the team that won the World Series just last year had their best hitter batting #3 and arguably had their 5th best hitter up until the playoffs batting #2. The lineup was as follows...

1.Altuve

2. Pena

3. Alvarez

4. Bregman

5. Tucker

Stats back that up...

https://www.mlb.com/astros/stats/ops/2022

Edited by Billy F-Face3

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Don't forget, the team that won the World Series just last year had their best hitter batting #3 and arguably had their 5th best hitter up until the playoffs batting #2. The lineup was as follows...

1.Altuve

2. Pena

3. Alvarez

4. Bregman

5. Tucker

Have you read The Book?

I strongly recommend it.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't think most MLB managers and some GMs have read the book, but Elias and probably Hyde have.  I expect to see Rutschmann bat 2nd, with an occasional exception. 

I think a lot of folks in the industry are familiar with The Book.  I'd be shocked to hear that any current GM hasn't read it.  I would fully expect any manager to at the very least have easy access to the charts on run expectancy (updated I'm sure).

It's been around for a while and it's a pretty important work in the field.

It's also not a bad read.