Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kjerstad may want to limit his stolen base attempts because he head first "scorpion slide" is awkward and very risky for injury.

Screenshot2023-04-18091826.png.868acaa15621f58989ed08ba6b0b9021.pngScreenshot2023-04-18091744.png.a3aba1b661e83c6ca82482d7a8097736.pngScreenshot2023-04-18091842.png.886173e8fca8ffda76f1a76ede57a8ae.png

I say it every year, I would impose an organizational ban on head first slides. Who will be the first to miss several months with a hand injury?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are they moving him to first? Is it org need or an indictment on his OF defense? Or just more of this versatility bs?

I remember them saying he has a big time arm in the OF. 

He's a below average runner and from what I saw, does not have great jumps to make up for his below average foot speed. His arm is ok but nothing special in RF. I like the thought of having a big power left-handed hitting 1B in Camden Yards eventually so I like the move. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a below average runner and from what I saw, does not have great jumps to make up for his below average foot speed. His arm is ok but nothing special in RF. I like the thought of having a big power left-handed hitting 1B in Camden Yards eventually so I like the move. 

And let’s just say Mayo also develops and you keep both of them. You feel better about Mayo in the OF vs Kjerstad?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And let’s just say Mayo also develops and you keep both of them. You feel better about Mayo in the OF vs Kjerstad?

Well, I've never seen Mayo out there so I can't say, but he has better foot speed and a much better arm. Mayo would have a plus-plus arm in RF.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, I've never seen Mayo out there so I can't say, but he has better foot speed and a much better arm. Mayo would have a plus-plus arm in RF.

Yea the foot speed was what I was wondering about.

It seems to me that Mayo is the better athlete.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I saw Kjerstad play twice in spring training, during which he legged out a triple and made a very nice running catch in the OF and generally looked comfortable out there.   He impressed me as being faster than I had expected.  I don’t think there’s any problem with him playing RF at OPACY.   According to Kyle Moore, they’re exposing him to 1B to increase his versatility, but he’ll still be playing OF a good bit of the time.  Makes all the sense in the world to me.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I saw Kjerstad play twice in spring training, during which he legged out a triple and made a very nice running catch in the OF and generally looked comfortable out there.   He impressed me as being faster than I had expected.  I don’t think there’s any problem with him playing RF at OPACY.   According to Kyle Moore, they’re exposing him to 1B to increase his versatility, but he’ll still be playing OF a good bit of the time.  Makes all the sense in the world to me.  

If Santander can play out there, so can Kjerstad. It's just going to be nothing more than merely adequate outfield defense out there. As for running, he's not a slog, but I bet when we see his sprint speeds when he reaches the big leagues they will be below 50%. He's probably close to Stowers' speed.  

It does make sense for him to be able to play both RF and 1B as it just adds to the versatility of the lineup especially of Mountcastle is still here. I would not be surprised though if his long term position ends up at 1B.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think it comes down to the fact the Mountcastle is having a "great" start, but is actually hitting .217 with a .270 OBP. Long term we will need a 1B better than Mountcastle, so why not Kjerstad

Never been sold on Mountcastle, the OBP/Walks hasn't improved, which makes it difficult to overlook the strikeouts and so-so defense.

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

"We'll figure it out for Heston Kjerstad, for sure".

-Mike Elias, in the booth bottom of 2nd responding to Palmer posing the classic "good problem to have" with too many options question.

In that same interview, Elias talked about the growing trend for young players to play more than one position defensively.  This makes lineups more versatile and gives players more at bats when they don't have to platoon at just one position.  Young, versatile,  athletic players that can play multiple positions is a good thing,  not a bad thing.