Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

9 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Tbf, we're well outplaying our pythag and will certainly see some regression to the mean in the long-term with our success in close ball games. 

Unless perhaps the pythag didn't get it right? Happened last year too didn't it?

Back to Heston, I do think it will be interesting what they decide to do with him this year. I don’t see any scenario outside significant injury where he comes up and gets exclusive playing time. Will Elias and company be okay bringing him up in September for a bench bat and occasional start?

32 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Back to Heston, I do think it will be interesting what they decide to do with him this year. I don’t see any scenario outside significant injury where he comes up and gets exclusive playing time. Will Elias and company be okay bringing him up in September for a bench bat and occasional start?

It's an interesting conversation. I think they may bring him up on August 31st to make him eligible for the playoffs. If he looks good right away or if there is an injury, he'll then be able to get a roster spot.

Since he will need to be protected this offseason anyways, there's no real reason not to add him for the September push if he's still hitting this well. 

• Upvote 4

I think he gets the Gunnar treatment as well.  And no they probably won't give him consistent playing time and a ton of AB....cuz a big part of our long term sustainment plan is to keep our best stud prospects eligible for rookie of the year the following year.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's an interesting conversation. I think they may bring him up on August 31st to make him eligible for the playoffs. If he looks good right away or if there is an injury, he'll then be able to get a roster spot.

Since he will need to be protected this offseason anyways, there's no real reason not to add him for the September push if he's still hitting this well. 

Agreed.  If he adjusts quickly and hits, bonus!  If not, he gets some experience and knows what to work on heading into the off-season.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So you are predicting a pre September call up date for Heston?  That would be great for him.....very exciting stuff.  I have followed Heston very close since we heard about his heart condition.  I have been rooting first just for him to have a normal life then to play baseball.  The way he has comeback from a major illness is amazing.  

On 7/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, Jagwar said:

Unless perhaps the pythag didn't get it right? Happened last year too didn't it?

I'm not saying pythag has to be exactly right (surely there are some things that allow you to consistently beat it to some extent: probably a mix of bullpen strength and a certain clubhouse attitude / self-fulfilling prophecy / positive feedback loop...Real Madrid in the Champions League is a good example of this in another sport, where I think it's hard to deny that that factor is relevant) but some regression to the mean is surely in order. You just don't outplay your pythag by this much over long samples. Last night's game was a good example, and as Hyde correctly noted, you just can't win every 1 run game and this kind of thing can happen and is really the norm. 

Edited by Flash- bd

Heston launched a homerun today that went slightly right of centerfield.  It was an easy swing and it went like a missile.  No distance results that I heard.

This kid HAS to come up this year.  We could really use his help.  

23 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Heston launched a homerun today that went slightly right of centerfield.  It was an easy swing and it went like a missile.  No distance results that I heard.

This kid HAS to come up this year.  We could really use his help.  

416 feet. Also off a lefty, which is nice to see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Kjerstad seems the most hitterish of all our top prospects.  He's looking to do damage but he's also not a hacker.  Ortiz too without as much power.

I think offensively he's going to be on another planet from guys like Westburg and Cowser (who I think will also be solid). Just a pure natural power hitter.