Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

"We worked on some things this offseason and so far into Spring Training," Rodriguez said Thursday after pitching two scoreless innings against Detroit. "Right now, my stuff's better than it was last year. When we get a little bigger of a sample size, I can't wait to use it in a game."

If his stuff is better this year than last, we may have an ace. 

He’s the best non-MLB pitcher I’ve ever seen before.  Think I’ve seen him throw about 7-8 times now and each time is more impressive than the previous.  Something would need to go extremely wrong for him not to have success at the next level.  I am flat out giddy to see him in Orange and Black.  Some people talk about the “sound of the bat” being different.  I’ve never heard someone pop a catchers glove louder than him.  Will never forget the first time I saw him in Delmarva and it sounded like thunder from the OF standing section.  

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He’s the best non-MLB pitcher I’ve ever seen before.  Think I’ve seen him throw about 7-8 times now and each time is more impressive than the previous.  Something would need to go extremely wrong for him not to have success at the next level.  I am flat out giddy to see him in Orange and Black.  Some people talk about the “sound of the bat” being different.  I’ve never heard someone pop a catchers glove louder than him.  Will never forget the first time I saw him in Delmarva and it sounded like thunder from the OF standing section.  

I haven’t seen him that many times, nor have I seen a lot of great pitching prospects pitch in the minors.  But when I did see him, both live and on MiLB.tv freebies, he was absolutely toying with minor league hitters.  There was simply no way for them to be ready for the fastball and his assortment of breaking stuff simultaneously.  I agree there’s no doubt he’ll be a successful major leaguer if he stays healthy.   It’s just a matter of exactly how high he’ll climb.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I meant more the mental "not backing down" approach.  But yeah...

Elias has done so much making sure he's ready to stay up when he comes up I've passed through the Jose Fernandez period to the Stephen Strasburg period to now I guess maybe something like the Shohei Ohtani period.

Jose Fernandez 7.31.1992 was an uber-talented teenager in the middle of the 1st round, threw 163 minor league innings, and had a 14 WAR MLB career (including TJ sideline) through Age 24.     Grayson by OD will be just ~9 months younger than Fernandez was when he tragically passed.     Mike Elias may or may not have had good data all these several years whether Grayson is near the range of a talent that rare.

I don't know if the production will be there, but I believe Grayson has more natural baseball gifts than made guys like Burnes and Strider.

His arm could fall off any day.

Edited by Just Regular

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t seen him that many times, nor have I seen a lot of great pitching prospects pitch in the minors.  But when I did see him, both live and on MiLB.tv freebies, he was absolutely toying with minor league hitters.  There was simply no way for them to be ready for the fastball and his assortment of breaking stuff simultaneously.  I agree there’s no doubt he’ll be a successful major leaguer if he stays healthy.   It’s just a matter of exactly how high he’ll climb.  

The crazy thing is a lot of the time he is just working on his pitches.  I don’t even think we’ve seen him pitch yet.  I’ve seen many times in games he will throw a pitch 2,3,4 times in a row.   Batter knows what’s coming and still has no chance.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Three good innings, and a messy 4th against an underwhelming road Red Sox unit.

All true but enough good signs for me.  6 k’s in 3 IP against scrubs is still impressive.  Building up the endurance.   

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All true but enough good signs for me.  6 k’s in 3 IP against scrubs is still impressive.  Building up the endurance.   

Plus Adley was there with the Grand Slam to take him off the hook for a loss.

I agree of course the 2018-2022 body of work is determinative, and the tea leaves with Wells, Voth and Watkins usage are generally favorable.

A clean outing would be nice.