Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am gonna have to form the Connor Norby fan club, my guy is just getting slighted everywhere. 

Maybe he should get his OPS above .800 then. Ridiculous as it is, that's the kind of wild standard right now if you want your name mentioned in a list of Orioles prospects.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn’t mention Ortiz either.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe he should get his OPS above .800 then. Ridiculous as it is, that's the kind of wild standard right now if you want your name mentioned in a list of Orioles prospects.

I guess my comment stems more from hearing Norby's name thrown around in trades as a throw in lately. Its just crazy our prospect talent is so good and deep that guys who would be top of our farm system 5 years ago don't even get mentioned these days. 

I love some Ortiz but I don't think I have time to form 2 fan clubs so I will let someone else head that one up.

9 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

The only way we'll know is by letting him try at the MLB level.

It's an unfair standard to ask a player to not only dominate AAA hitters, but to dominate AAA hitters in a very specific way. We can sit here inventing thresholds we would like to see met, but the reality is that he's playing a real game and doing what he needs to do to get results.

The goal of sending Grayson back down was to tweak a few things, let him work through innings without the pressure of a quick hook, and regain his confidence. It shouldn't be to have him reach a level of abstract perfection.

None of us can predict how GR will do next time in Baltimore, but I might question the critique here of "abstract." Or maybe it is, but it also sounds like control vs. command. Which is to say, first can he throw strikes, but then also critical at the next level, can he command the edges of the zone where it seems good MLB pitchers need to be. 

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s I have seen, yes.

His arm slot is very slightly different in Norfolk recently than in Baltimore earlier in the year.  Looks like he was trying to move from a high-3/4 angle to more of an overhead angle but his extension is weird in Baltimore.  Looks much better in Norfolk.

20230706_004733.jpg

• Upvote 1

Triple-A Norfolk’s Grayson Rodriguez was named International League Pitcher of the Month for June after going 4-0 with a 2.22 ERA in five starts. He had a 1.06 WHIP and .185 average against, and he struck out 39 batters in 28 1/3 innings.

From Roch

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hallas said:

His arm slot is very slightly different in Norfolk recently than in Baltimore earlier in the year.  Looks like he was trying to move from a high-3/4 angle to more of an overhead angle but his extension is weird in Baltimore.  Looks much better in Norfolk.

20230706_004733.jpg

Or he can’t repeat his delivery. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Or he can’t repeat his delivery. 

Ehh I looked at a few different fastballs from early-season and they were all pretty similar - his elbow wasn't fully extended the way you see in the left picture.  At least based on the highlights I've seen, his fastballs from Norfolk over 2 starts all look pretty much identical to the picture on the right.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn’t have the success he had and get ranked as highly as he was because he couldn’t repeat his delivery.

C’mon. 

Blowing away AA and AAA hitters, things can get overlooked. I told you guys that he couldn’t repeat his delivery, it’s all in his follow through. When he was up he couldn’t finish each pitch the same way. Telltale signs of not being able to repeat a delivery. 

Again, I don’t care that he can blow away minor leaguers because he has great raw stuff.  I’m not impressed by swings and misses by guys who are AAAA types.  I mean, striking out Franchy Cordero isn’t a big deal  

So while his return to AAA is encouraging, I don’t really care about it until he’s back in Baltimore and shown improvement. And yes, that includes being able to repeat his delivery.