Thoughts from spring training games I attended

Frobby

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wells was okay but threw a lot of pitches and got tired in the third.

I think we were watching a different a game. Guy had one of the more impressive outings any O's pitcher has had this spring. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thought I’d post any observations from the ST games I attend here.  I went yesterday and am going again tonight and on Sunday.   I don’t nave anything brilliant to say about yesterday’s game, but here’s a few tidbits:

3/9 O’s at Phillies in Clearwater

First of all, BayCare Park is very nice.  They have a hilly slope beyond the OF fence where folks can sit on beach towels or blankets and enjoy the game if they are so inclined, and a large Tiki bar with seating in the LF area.  I was seated in regular seats up the LF line, which were nicely angled towards home plate.   Phillies fans were not at all obnoxious in this setting.  There were some O’s fans there, but not a ton.  One bit of advice if you ever drive there to see a game: the highway exit for the stadium, less than a mile from the stadium door, backs up badly.  We were at the exit 25 minutes before game time and barely made it inside the stadium in time for first pitch, which had me biting my nails knowing that Gunnar and Adley were batting 1-2.   

Here’s a few player notes: 

- Gunnar looks a little out of sync in the batters box right now.   He made an outstanding defensive play at SS, diving to snag the ball and throwing a rocket to 1B to get the runner.  I honestly didn’t know if he could get the ball there on time, but his laser throw was a good half-step ahead of the runner. 

- Diaz made a tremendous catch in the LCF alley, running down a blast near the wall and catching it at nearly full speed.  Looked like his dad on that play.  

- Westburg had a nice day at the plate, with a double laced into the gap that the CF misplayed a bit, a sac fly and an infield single on which he showed good speed getting down the line.  I don’t think he had any defensive chances.  

- As several people mentioned elsewhere, Kjerstad ripped a ball into the RCF gap and stretched it into a triple, showing pretty decent speed on the play.  He’s got powerful legs, too.

So, I'll just say up front I have mixed feelings reading reports like this when I wanted to be there myself this year especially, but thanks?

I highlighted your notes on Gunnar and a thread I wanted to post regarding the best move forward with him defensively and the fate of Mateo. I like Mateo and thought he should have won the GG, but he can't hit. Elias may have shopped him, not finding the right deal, but the more pressing question is playing Gunnar at his best spot and I think that's SS. He doesn't have the range of Mateo, but his muscular frame may give people the impression he's not "rangy". I probably wouldn't describe him that way, but there's no doubt I want him at SS. With Holliday moving quickly, in two or three years I'd then slide Gunnar over to 3B to make room for JH. That would be the plan anyway.

I also think Kjerstad is ready. He's a pure hitter with a great stroke. What do you think of him in the box before he makes contact? He looks like it's his favorite place in the world to me.

Westburg is another interesting guy I'd like to see get more chances. I don't want him traded to keep organizational depth guys.

And finally, who is Diaz' dad?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah 5 Ks in 2.2 IP. Looked good on TV!

Results don't equate to what you see, if that makes sense. Meaning, I saw him top out at 92-93 and I think that's where he'll be, not only from his numbers last year, but overall he's never been shown to be overpowering. His slider looked good and he'll need that much in the same way Means needs his CH or he'll get hit around. I don't see Wells as a long term piece and he may be better suited for a swingman role in the future. But he's here now and can probably fill a role. 

As I read yesterday (not sure where), Gibson and Irvin are locks and with Hall's health in question, Rodriguez seems like more of a lock. Does Wells look to be a better option that either Kremer or Bradish? Not in my mind.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Results don't equate to what you see, if that makes sense. Meaning, I saw him top out at 92-93 and I think that's where he'll be, not only from his numbers last year, but overall he's never been shown to be overpowering. His slider looked good and he'll need that much in the same way Means needs his CH or he'll get hit around. I don't see Wells as a long term piece and he may be better suited for a swingman role in the future. But he's here now and can probably fill a role. 

As I read yesterday (not sure where), Gibson and Irvin are locks and with Hall's health in question, Rodriguez seems like more of a lock. Does Wells look to be a better option that either Kremer or Bradish? Not in my mind.

Wells average fastball as a starter in 2022 was 93.5.   As a reliever in 2021, it was 95.2.    Not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless.   Barring injury, he's headed to the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I think it's a luxury to have a guy like Wells as an option in case anyone gets injured. As everyone knows, pitchers are incredibly fragile. We'll most likely have SPs go down for different lengths of time, so Wells as a swingman is going to have a lot of value on this team. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think it's a luxury to have a guy like Wells as an option in case anyone gets injured. As everyone knows, pitchers are incredibly fragile. We'll most likely have SPs go down for different lengths of time, so Wells as a swingman is going to have a lot of value on this team. 

Agreed

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think it's having a guy like Wells as an option is mandatory for any team that considers itself a playoff contender.  Pitching depth is a requirement in this league.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wells average fastball as a starter in 2022 was 93.5.   As a reliever in 2021, it was 95.2.    Not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless.   Barring injury, he's headed to the bullpen.

If I'm Hyde breaking the news to him and asking him to change his preparation for March 30, I'd give him the spoonful of sugar that he's got the 9th inning if Felix can't post for the first couple weeks.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah 5 Ks in 2.2 IP. Looked good on TV!

Honestly, it’s easier to judge a pitcher on TV than from seats down the LF foul line.  I guess I was just disappointed that he seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd inning.  He was good in the 1st & 2nd other than the leadoff homer.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, it’s easier to judge a pitcher on TV than from seats down the LF foul line.  I guess I was just disappointed that he seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd inning.  He was good in the 1st & 2nd other than the leadoff homer.  

Yeah he wasn't super efficient I guess. I was happy to see him strike some dudes out though since that's not really his strong suit. I think this team is going to really need him in the bullpen, so the Ks were nice to see. 

It's a shame they can't find a way to get him to throw, like, 95 consistently. He really looks like a guy who should throw harder than he does just based on his size and frame, but I suppose if he did he would not have been Rule 5 eligible. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd love to know the intention with which Holt, Blood, et al coach the "length pitchers" how fast they should empty their tank optimally?    I feel sure its 50 or 75 more than 100.

100 is only for dudes who command crummy stuff like Gibson and Irvin, and boy are they not gonna get named to the playoff roster.

That Rafael Montero is pulling money in the same ballpark as Tyler Anderson I hope makes Tyler Wells and DL Hall agnostic about the role they get.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thought I’d post any observations from the ST games I attend here.  I went yesterday and am going again tonight and on Sunday.   I don’t nave anything brilliant to say about yesterday’s game, but here’s a few tidbits:

3/9 O’s at Phillies in Clearwater

First of all, BayCare Park is very nice.  They have a hilly slope beyond the OF fence where folks can sit on beach towels or blankets and enjoy the game if they are so inclined, and a large Tiki bar with seating in the LF area.  I was seated in regular seats up the LF line, which were nicely angled towards home plate.   Phillies fans were not at all obnoxious in this setting.  There were some O’s fans there, but not a ton.  One bit of advice if you ever drive there to see a game: the highway exit for the stadium, less than a mile from the stadium door, backs up badly.  We were at the exit 25 minutes before game time and barely made it inside the stadium in time for first pitch, which had me biting my nails knowing that Gunnar and Adley were batting 1-2.   

Here’s a few player notes: 

- Gunnar looks a little out of sync in the batters box right now.   He made an outstanding defensive play at SS, diving to snag the ball and throwing a rocket to 1B to get the runner.  I honestly didn’t know if he could get the ball there on time, but his laser throw was a good half-step ahead of the runner.

- Conversely, Prieto looks to have a noodle arm.  He took one routine grounder near the 3B bag and had to one-hop the throw, and another where he charged a slow roller with his momentum headed directly at 1B but he threw a floater that barely beat the runner.   Both plays were outs but displayed lack of arm strength.  

- Diaz made a tremendous catch in the LCF alley, running down a blast near the wall and catching it at nearly full speed.  Looked like his dad on that play.  

- Westburg had a nice day at the plate, with a double laced into the gap that the CF misplayed a bit, a sac fly and an infield single on which he showed good speed getting down the line.  I don’t think he had any defensive chances.  

- As several people mentioned elsewhere, Kjerstad ripped a ball into the RCF gap and stretched it into a triple, showing pretty decent speed on the play.  He’s got powerful legs, too.

- None of the pitchers impressed me all that much.   Wells was okay but threw a lot of pitches and got tired in the third.  Zimmerman allowed two very long homers and a long double.  

- Adley bounced two throws to 2B that went into the OF, but both were backed up so the runners couldn’t advance.  

I had Fusilli Prieto in Naples.  A very tasty pasta dish with a creamy bolognese sauce.

Has any Oriole pitcher gone four innings yet? 

Also any update on DL Hall? Was supposed to do a BP session today?