The Rotation

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

They don’t make him look bad at all. He’s being honest about the struggles he was having and what helped him get his mind right. I appreciate his self-awareness 

What happens when he struggles again? Does he lose confidence that quickly? Will he need to be “re-set” all the time? 

I think that what McCann says here is telling: 

“I think the big thing is just being able to slow the game down,” McCann said. “In a moment like that, it’s different now with the clock because you don’t have the ability to step off the rubber and take a few deep breaths. But after not turning the double play, then he got the double play and followed it up with a wild pitch, it kind of unraveled from there for him. But just being able to find a way to minimize damage.

“For a young pitcher that’s one of the biggest learning curves is, big league hitters feast on those moments where it starts to unravel on a pitcher, and being able to slow that down and get himself out a jam is a big learning curve.”

You do not learn these types of lessons in AAA. You have to learn them at the big league level where you are facing hitters who have the skill and experience to exploit your lack of experience. I believe GRod is at a place where composure, mental toughness and nuance play as large a role as stuff and stamina play in his future success. 

Ref:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mccann-on-rodriguez

On 3/17/2023 at 10:10 AM, eddie83 said:

The rotation is set. Not official but it is.

-Yesterday 3/16 it was Irvin 
-Today 3/17 Kremer pitches 

-Tomorrow 3/18 Grod

-Bradish last threw on 3/10 in a MLB game, on a back field yesterday  3/16. 

-Gibson pitched last 3/13. I assume he starts one of SS games Sunday probably vs Pittsburgh. 3/19. 

The last spring game is Monday 3/27. Not more spring off days. Two off days before opener in Boston on 3/30. The 21st both Irvin and Bradish would be on turn and we face Boston. I was a little surprised more Jays regulars didn’t play last night but I doubt they pitch Bradish vs Boston even if the Orioles are home on Tuesday and then turn around and faces them in Boston. Will have to see. They can tweak who pitches by a day or so the last week of spring.

3/19 SS Pitts  Gibson? 

SS @NYY  Watkins??

3/20 @PHI Wells/Zimmerman??

3/21 BOS  

3/22 @TOR 

3/23 DET 

3/24 NYY

3/25 @PITTS

3/26 @PHI

3/27 STL

3/30 Opening Day in Boston 

I can’t see the Orioles pitching Grayson tomorrow vs Sox and then again in Boston 2 weeks later. I can’t see them pitching Bradish vs Boston on the 21st and then in Boston so I guess Irvin goes that game. 

I’m going with Gibson, Bradish and Kremer vs Boston. Grod the first game in Texas and then Irvin. I’m guessing they want Kremer, Bradish and Grod set up to face the Yanks. 

So maybe Bradish side day was a day earlier?  He goes tomorrow. 

So 3/19 today Gibson vs Pitts 

Wells @ NYY

3/20 Bradish @Philly 

3/21 Irvin BOS

3/22 Kremer @TOR

3/23 Grod? DET

3/24 Gibson?? NYY

3/25 Bradish?? @Pitts

3/26 Irvin ??PHI

3/27 Kremer?? STL

They could always tweak by a day when someone starts. Also last game could be a pen day. Who knows. 

Still don’t think Irvin faces Boston in spring and then goes in Boston.  

I’ll say this. They didn’t announce anyone beyond Wednesday. Does that mean anything or not?  Not sure. Waiting for Wells today?  Have to see.  

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What happens when he struggles again? Does he lose confidence that quickly? Will he need to be “re-set” all the time? 

I think you’re reading too much into it.  This kid had some rough times in AAA and came out strong last year.  He had some struggles in the majors and came back strong and who’s to say he didn’t actually have some shoulder inflammation.    I see nothing wrong with him saying it was good to have a mental and physical reset.    Makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So 3/19 today Gibson vs Pitts 

Wells @ NYY

3/20 Bradish @Philly 

3/21 Irvin BOS

3/22 Kremer @TOR

3/23 Grod? DET

3/24 Gibson?? NYY

3/25 Bradish?? @Pitts

3/26 Irvin ??PHI

3/27 Kremer?? STL

They could always tweak by a day when someone starts. Also last game could be a pen day. Who knows. 

Still don’t think Irvin faces Boston in spring and then goes in Boston.  

I’ll say this. They didn’t announce anyone beyond Wednesday. Does that mean anything or not?  Not sure. Waiting for Wells today?  Have to see.  

The Blue Jays have historically been very good against LHP.  Pick your poison.

Just now, RZNJ said:

My bad. Mistook the ST schedule for regular season maybe.  I don’t even know. Lol

Ok. No problem. Gotcha. 

I just don’t think they have guys face a team they will face early on. I know some people thinks that’s overstated. 

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only logical reason to send him down is to game his service time.

He'll have to make an adjustment to ML hitters at some point and if you waste some of his innings in the minors you are just delaying that process.

I would have potentially agreed until I saw him yesterday live. The command of everything plus his lack of feel for his breaking pitches makes me think if he doesn't have that, it might make sense to send him to AAA to find that before bringing him up. Right now he's a two pitch pitcher and while those two pitches are elite, he sure is getting hit hard as the better hitters get their timing down this spring.

It's not really about the results as much as much as the command with Rodriguez. It was clear he was working on the slider and the curveball to a lesser extent in the 3rd and 4th innings and that's when he went to crap. 

If I'm the Orioles, if I can send him down for to AAA to find his breaking stuff while ALSO gaining that service time, it's a win-win. So in a sense, you are right, service time could come in play because unless Rodriguez comes out in his last start and shows that he can command the breaking stuff, the Orioles might be better off this year and long term with him starting the year in AAA and Wells or Voth in the rotation.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, seak05 said:

Clearly development can happen in the majors. In fact nearly every player goes through an adjustment period when they are promoted, Adley last year is another good example.

Development isn’t exclusive to the majors though, the minors, spring training, and the off-season are also important to the development process. It also can be based on what you need to work on. The off-season seems to be a prime time to develop a new pitch for instance, while learning how major leaguers attack you can only happen at the major league level. 

That said, the *results* tend to matter a lot more at the major league level. If Grayson is facing the NYY I want him throwing his fastball & chanegeup, not working on his curveball. If he’s facing the Durham bulls, he can throw whatever pitches he likes. 

Yeah, your on point regardless of the shenanigans of some posters here. If the Orioles believe they are a playoff contender, you don't "develop" pitchers in the majors. The hilarity of some posters is they think it's "silly" to use Hall as a reliever because they'd rather he "develop" in the minors as a starter but think it's ridiculous to send Rodriguez down if he can't find/command his breaking stuff. 

Regardless, I do want to see Rodriguez have a good start using all of his pitches before he's in the rotation. If he can show that in his final start this spring then ok, but if they think Wells or Voth is better option early, and Rodriguez needs a little time to find that feel of his breaking stuff, AND they get service time, I can see them sending him down to start the year.

Now, saying all that, they may think Rodriguez will do well enough with the fastball-changeup combo with the occasional breaking pitch early on and use his side sessions to work on the feel for the breaking stuff. If they decide to start him in the rotation I doubt may people will be upset since we all want to see him in the big leagues. However, I want him ready for the big leagues and if that means we have to wait until mid to late April then so be it. I want him to be the 4-pitch guy that I saw last year prior to the injury. 

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Here’s an article regarding Bradish.   Spin it however you want.  My spin is that he made minor changes, got a mental break, and gave his arm a much needed rest and maybe changed his pitch usage percentages.   Now, I don’t think GRod is beaten down just yet.   His stuff, especially his fastball and change look just fine.  He needs more consistency with his curve and of course like all pitchers he needs to locate.   He needs reps against hitters who make you pay.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mental-and-physical-resets-have-kyle-bradish-feeling-better-about-his-game

"The mental reset and getting back to the farm was helpful, and so was his work with the O’s pitching coaches on his breaking pitches. They felt the shape of his slider and curveball were becoming too similar, and he needed to fix that."

It's almost like the minors is a great place to develop. Its almost like the entire minor league system is designed to help a player fix/work on things while doing that in an environment where you can vs a results only matter situation like the big leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, your on point regardless of the shenanigans of some posters here. If the Orioles believe they are a playoff contender, you don't "develop" pitchers in the majors. The hilarity of some posters is they think it's "silly" to use Hall as a reliever because they'd rather he "develop" in the minors as a starter but think it's ridiculous to send Rodriguez down if he can't find/command his breaking stuff. 

Regardless, I do want to see Rodriguez have a good start using all of his pitches before he's in the rotation. If he can show that in his final start this spring then ok, but if they think Wells or Voth is better option early, and Rodriguez needs a little time to find that feel of his breaking stuff, AND they get service time, I can see them sending him down to start the year.

Now, saying all that, they may think Rodriguez will do well enough with the fastball-changeup combo with the occasional breaking pitch early on and use his side sessions to work on the feel for the breaking stuff. If they decide to start him in the rotation I doubt may people will be upset since we all want to see him in the big leagues. However, I want him ready for the big leagues and if that means we have to wait until mid to late April then so be it. I want him to be the 4-pitch guy that I saw last year prior to the injury. 

Another thing his is innings.

Yes, I knew Elias said there isn’t a true innings cap but that said we all know he isn’t at a point he can go 180. If they genuinely think he could benefit from staying down a little bit it would not bother me at all. We all want to see him in an Orioles uniform but it’s not like it won’t be happening soon enough. My guess is he is still on the team unless he is terrible this week. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Another thing his is innings.

Yes, I knew Elias said there isn’t a true innings cap but that said we all know he isn’t at a point he can go 180. If they genuinely think he could benefit from staying down a little bit it would not bother me at all. We all want to see him in an Orioles uniform but it’s not like it won’t be happening soon enough. My guess is he is still on the team unless he is terrible this week. 

The innings will occur either way. It’s not like they won’t consider innings in the minors.