Is McKenna's spot in jeopardy?

interloper

5 hours ago, seak05 said:

Mateo vs LHP last season .203/.253/.365/.618

McKenna vs LHP last season .270/.333/.460/.794

This is why it doesn't really make sense to play Mateo anywhere other then short stop. Literally anyone else is a better bat, so he's only in the lineup for his defense

Not true. If Mullins continues to struggle against LHP like he did last season, then later on this season it makes sense to potentially play Mateo in CF, Ortiz/Gunnar/Urias/Westburg at SS, Urias/Westburg/Ortiz/Gunnar at 2B, Gunnar/Urias/Westburg/Ortiz at 3B. Norby may also come into play late in the season at 2B.

Either way, I want Mateo to be traded away so that Westburg and Ortiz can be playing regularly as soon as possible. Mateo playing CF not only gives the Orioles more options, but it helps boost Mateo's trade value.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Not true. If Mullins continues to struggle against LHP like he did last season, then later on this season it makes sense to potentially play Mateo in CF, Ortiz/Gunnar/Urias/Westburg at SS, Urias/Westburg/Ortiz/Gunnar at 2B, Gunnar/Urias/Westburg/Ortiz at 3B. Norby may also come into play late in the season at 2B.

Either way, I want Mateo to be traded away so that Westburg and Ortiz can be playing regularly as soon as possible. Mateo playing CF not only gives the Orioles more options, but it helps boost Mateo's trade value.

But why wouldn’t you just play McKenna in that scenario? Who hits lefties much better.

Matteo btw barely hit lefties better than Mullins last year. 

When/if Ortiz comes up there is no real reason for Mateo to be on the roster. Same with Westburg if the orioles think he can be a backup SS (in addition to playing regularly at 2b/3b)

:shrug: Mateo as the backup CF makes sense if you're trying to free up a roster spot, and plan on playing Mullins basically every game. If you're actually worried about Mullins against LH/planning to rest him 1-2x per week then McKenna is the better option. 

I would guess that Vavra then becomes the backup corner OF/defensive replacement? 

I think they know that Mateo is not a starter at any position.  In the long term they may see him as a utility man that can provide plus defense at multiple positions late in games and pinch run.  If so, giving him reps in the OF now makes tons of sense.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think they know that Mateo is not a starter at any position.  In the long term they may see him as a utility man that can provide plus defense at multiple positions late in games and pinch run.  If so, giving him reps in the OF now makes tons of sense.

I think you’re over thinking it.  If that were the case, why wait until the last week of ST to have him play any other position besides SS?    He hasn’t played 2B, 3B, or any other OF positions.  That’s not the way you get a utility guy ready for the season.   

I think just as good a question and maybe a better question is this.  "Is Kyle Stowers spot in jeopardy?

With the 4 man infield rotation and Rutschman needing DH AB's, that DH/4th oufielder role won't be huge.   Also, if McKenna and Vavra both make the team, that's 2 extra outfielders there as well.    The Orioles may opt for someone who can play 1B like O'Hearn, Cordero, or Lester over Stowers.    I am getting the feeling that Stowers is not going to make the 26-man roster.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think just as good a question and maybe a better question is this.  "Is Kyle Stowers spot in jeopardy?

With the 4 man infield rotation and Rutschman needing DH AB's, that DH/4th oufielder role won't be huge.   Also, if McKenna and Vavra both make the team, that's 2 extra outfielders there as well.    The Orioles may opt for someone who can play 1B like O'Hearn, Cordero, or Lester over Stowers.    I am getting the feeling that Stowers is not going to make the 26-man roster.

I would not put it past Elias to do that honestly. I personally think they would be silly to send Stowers out and keep O'Hearn, but this an organization that signed and played a washed up Aguilar over him last year so who knows? Elias signed Frazier and acquired O'Hearn despite his $1.4 million salary. He must have some plan for them and you do have to wonder if it will be at the expense of Stowers. 

I will be majorly disappointed if Stowers is sent back and or not played pretty much everyday at the big league level. He "only" put up a .884 OPS last year in AAA and plays this year at 25. It's time to find out whether he translates successfully to the big leagues.

• Upvote 1