Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

20 hours ago, Hallas said:

So far its looking like I was pretty wrong about Hays.  I kind of wanted us to use him as trade bait.

He could still regress, and he's been prone to hellacious slumps in the past, but right now he's surpassing my expectations. 

A lot of good players have a year where they break out. It’s not unusual. 

I would guess that this will be his if he stays healthy. 

And they still should use him as trade bait. He may even be dealt next month. I’m starting to expect one of him or Santander to be dealt. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know it's hard to believe, but people vote for guys like Santander because they're a well-liked player on their favorite team.  Not everyone votes for All-Stars based on actual merit.

I’m aware..thus why I asked if he actually believes he deserves to be an AS. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And they still should use him as trade bait. He may even be dealt next month. I’m starting to expect one of him or Santander to be dealt. 

Absolutely not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Absolutely not going to happen.

We’ll see. If more sellers come on the market, I agree with you.

If it ends up being buyer to buyer trades, I don’t agree.

Santander is a replaceable piece. He has a 785 OPs and a WAR below 1 but the bat Carries upside from each side of the plate. 

Hays is a solid player in the midst of what could be his career year. But his durability and reliability have always been issues and they could attempt to capitalize on his value that will likely never be higher, ala Lopez last year.

The difference is, of course, that the team is winning(well winning more) but if you are getting a help you win now piece and you have those OFers in the minors you like and trust, it makes sense to move on.

As always, it will depend on what teams want and what is available but I think the chances are increasing that one of them is moved.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We’ll see. If more sellers come on the market, I agree with you.

If it ends up being buyer to buyer trades, I don’t agree.

Santander is a replaceable piece. He has a 785 OPs and a WAR below 1 but the bat Carries upside from each side of the plate. 

Hays is a solid player in the midst of what could be his career year. But his durability and reliability have always been issues and they could attempt to capitalize on his value that will likely never be higher, ala Lopez last year.

The difference is, of course, that the team is winning but if you are getting a help you win now piece and you have those OFers in the minors you like and trust, it makes sense to move on.

As always, it will depend on what teams want and what is available but I think the chances are increasing that one of them is moved.

Not happening.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Not happening.

I kind of agree with this.  Unless something happens with one of their starters, I don't see them trading anyone from the 25-man roster.   I would be more inclined to strike while the iron is hot with Santander or Hays, but I think that time will happen in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I kind of agree with this.  Unless something happens with one of their starters, I don't see them trading anyone from the 25-man roster.   I would be more inclined to strike while the iron is hot with Santander or Hays, but I think that time will happen in the offseason. 

There's no way in hell they're trading either Hays or Santander this deadline in the middle of a pennant race.  Absolutely, not happening.

This offseason is a different story.  I think one of them might get moved then.  But, of course, that's a completely different consideration.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

The issue is going to come down to what teams are trading.

Speculation from many people in and around the game is that we could see buyer to buyer trades, which we don’t usually see, because so many teams are in it right now.

How much does that change in the next month?  If it changes a lot, I tend to think this isn’t as likely. If it doesn’t change, it becomes more likely.

The Indians, as an example, have pitching they can deal from and need hitting. Now, if they are out of it, they may want prospects instead but if they are in it and want to go for it and get back someone(s) with lower salaries, Hays makes some sense for them.

It’s very fluid. Elias has certainly shown that he doesn’t want to lose the vets, so I get the thought process of believing it’s not happening. Otoh, we aren’t talking about losing core, difference making pieces either, so he may be more willing to sure up one area and go with the kids in the other.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Pickles said:

There's no way in hell they're trading either Hays or Santander this deadline in the middle of a pennant race.  Absolutely, not happening.

This offseason is a different story.  I think one of them might get moved then.  But, of course, that's a completely different consideration.

I agree with this. It seems pretty clear that Elias intends to ride this current position player group for as long as things continue to go well. I don't see him unplugging any major components of the lineup mid-season unless things really fall apart over the next month. Even then, I would expect the focus to be more on weak links like Mounty or Mateo. 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:08 AM, emmett16 said:

That would be fantastic.  Hays RF, Mullins CF, Cowser LF would be an upgraded defensive set up and way more offense pushing Santander to to DH & Vavra to Norfolk. Cowser is starting to look like a man amongst boys at AAA and think he can have a very positive impact in short time.  

Yes the Cowser - LF, Mullins -CF, Hays - RF is the best defensive outfield the Orioles can put out there with starting caliber offensive players. Hicks seems to be able to fill in CF and RF, and probably LF and of course Santander can go back out to RF if needed. 

The bench would become much stronger as well, especially if Westburg were added as well to play 2B. 

My perfect alignment would be:

C - Rustchman
1B - O'Hearn-Mountcastle platoon
2B - Westburg
SS - Ortiz
3B -Henderson
LF - Cowser
CF - Mullins
RF: Hays
DH Santander

Bench:
Hicks
Frazier
Mateo
Backup catcher of your choice/McCann if he gets healthy 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes the Cowser - LF, Mullins -CF, Hays - RF is the best defensive outfield the Orioles can put out there with starting caliber offensive players. Hicks seems to be able to fill in CF and RF, and probably LF and of course Santander can go back out to RF if needed. 

The bench would become much stronger as well, especially if Westburg were added as well to play 2B. 

My perfect alignment would be:

C - Rustchman
1B - O'Hearn-Mountcastle platoon
2B - Westburg
SS - Ortiz
3B -Henderson
LF - Cowser
CF - Mullins
RF: Hays
DH Santander

Bench:
Hicks
Frazier
Mateo
Backup catcher of your choice/McCann if he gets healthy 

Are you thinking you would prefer Frazier on the roster over Urias? Or do you think Urias is a better trade candidate due to Fraziers Contract? I don't disagree with your take here I think I agree except I think I would prefer Urias over Frazier on the bench. But that leaves us short a LH bat.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If Santander can play 1B or DH then my preference is to keep him.  I'd rather sell low on Mountcastle and package him with a prospect for a useful pitcher.

I will blow a gasket if we do a mid-season trade of Hays in the middle of a playoff run.

Edited by Hallas