Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

8 hours ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

The Tides bullpen continued to pitch well after Povich’s exit… then Givens retired six-of-seven batters for 2.0 scoreless innings. 

https://www.milb.com/news/lester-hits-walk-off-homer-in-extras-for-tides-win

Looks like this is his first appearance in AAA in this rehab. Wonder how long they give him.

Statcast had his avg FB velo in his AAA rehab appearance on Thursday as 89.5 mph. I think that it was a “he’s on a 1 yr deal and it’s near the end of the season so might as well see if he can go” situation. Looks like he’s toast. 

Still love Givens as a player. Hopefully they can bring him back on a minor league deal and he can get healthy this offseason.

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Statcast had his avg FB velo in his AAA rehab appearance on Thursday as 89.5 mph. I think that it was a “he’s on a 1 yr deal and it’s near the end of the season so might as well see if he can go” situation. Looks like he’s toast. 

Still love Givens as a player. Hopefully they can bring him back on a minor league deal and he can get healthy this offseason.

Hard to believe Elias would resign him.   He is going to have to come up and be really good for that to happen.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard to believe Elias would resign him.   He is going to have to come up and be really good for that to happen.

Givens has a $3 million salary next year, and the mutual option is for $6 million. There is a $2 million buyout if the team declines and a $1 million buyout if the player declines.

The buyout if Givens declines could increase by $500,000 for games pitched next year: $100,000 each for 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60

Givens to the rescue?  He at least gives us a reliever that is different that what we have. Fuji blends in with Bautista and Cano too much. Givens has posted decent numbers in this rehab stint.

https://www.milb.com/player/mychal-givens-571710?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2023

He’ll get a look. He’s a little more sidearm than over the top like most of our relievers. There is value in a unique look beyond what he offers. He could help Bautista’s stuff play up.

Fuji just allows the hitters to warm up for Bautista. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, Going Underground said:

Givens has a $3 million salary next year, and the mutual option is for $6 million. There is a $2 million buyout if the team declines and a $1 million buyout if the player declines.

The buyout if Givens declines could increase by $500,000 for games pitched next year: $100,000 each for 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60

Did no one see him in person before signing him to that contract? We just assumed the Instagram picture didn’t have a filter on it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gave up a three run homer to Jerar Encarnacion last night. His rehab should expire around 9/1. There's no chance we bring him back as one of the extra guys is there? 

See how he and others look then.

Not really sure what they will do about him. It’s a sink cost, so DFA’ing at this point doesn’t mean anything. Unless he gets hurts again or something like that, Means is 100% being brought back then.

We know Wells will be back up. We know they likely envision Hall coming up although that’s more up to him. Is Givens ahead of Hall on the pecking order?

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think we have to bring him up or DFA him. I don't think he has any options.

Correct, hence the dilemma. I would be inclined to DFA as I think we have better options. It's possible he steps things up but from what I saw last night he didn't look much different than when he was on the team in the spring. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Gave up a three run homer to Jerar Encarnacion last night. His rehab should expire around 9/1. There's no chance we bring him back as one of the extra guys is there? 

Sorry to sideline the thread, but I was just imagining Gary Thorne trying to pronounce the name "Jerar Encarnacion".