Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, moderately concerned.  36% of the adult population in the US hits the mark for obese.  The medical community is not "very concerned" about a third of the population.

Is it something he needs to be aware of?  Sure.  Is he being monitored?  Of course he is.

I think we are off topic but the average adult is not a professional athletes in their early 30's. 

Heart disease is the #1 cause for death, obesity is linked to heart disease....and if you think the AMA/NIH is not "very concerned" with a third of adults (consumers)..... 

11 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I think we are off topic but the average adult is not a professional athletes in their early 30's. 

Heart disease is the #1 cause for death, obesity is linked to heart disease....and if you think the AMA/NIH is not "very concerned" with a third of adults (consumers)..... 

Consumerism and the American diet is alot to blame for this issue too. Fast Food everywhere, bombarded in TV ads every sports game. And even if it's not technically considered fast food, they load excess sugar, sodium, and all kinds of chemicals in everything.

By comparison, if you look at other parts of the world (such as Asia), they don't have quite this problem because their diets are more natural and they eat more wholesome types of carbohydrates. They don't eat fries or potato chips... They eat rice. They don't eat as much beef or Burgers, they eat fish. And they a whole lot more vegetables in their meals than what we do. Have you ever heard of a Shaolin Bowl? It's a quite filling and healthy meal.

But I digress.

I hate to get this back to baseball and his stuff, but the fact is Givens is not putting up major league stuff right now.

His fastball is almost 2 MPH slower than last year (Down to 91.7 MPH avg), with less vertical and horizontal movement. The movement and velocity of all of is pitches are down from last year. Add in his severe lack of command of anything, and I'm actually surprised they promoted him with this stuff/command. 

Jean Pinto has better stuff and command than Givens and he's in High-A ball. 

I'm not sure how long they can go with this and I could see a Ubaldo pothole injury occurring. Really surprised this is the guy Elias felt was worth $5 million this offseason. They knew he was coming off a knee injury and was not even put on the post season roster because of the stuff he returned with. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not to give you a hard time but 2023-2009=14 and 250-185=65. 

That's under 5 pounds a year.

It's not great but I don't think it qualifies as a very concerning condition.  Maybe moderately? 

I'm sure he gets regular checkups.

Even if it was a 65 pound gain in 14 years... the eye test indicates a very significant chunk of that weight gain has occurred in the < 3 years since we traded him.    I'd be willing to bet more than half of it.  I was in the upper deck on Saturday and when he came out I couldn't for the life of me figure out who it was until the PA announcer told me, because I was too far away to see his face closely and the body is completely different from what I remember in his stint with the Orioles.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His fastball is almost 2 MPH slower than last year (Down to 91.7 MPH avg), with less vertical and horizontal movement. The movement and velocity of all of is pitches are down from last year. Add in his severe lack of command of anything, and I'm actually surprised they promoted him with this stuff/command. Jean Pinto has better stuff and command than Givens and he's in High-A ball. I'm not sure how long they can go with this and I could see a Ubaldo pothole injury occurring. Really surprised this is the guy Elias felt was worth $5 million this offseason. They knew he was coming off a knee injury and was not even put on the post season roster because of the stuff he returned with. 

So with decreased stuff and a $5M contract why not try to push him to Norfolk? If he clears he can get in shape there and we can promote another arm to eat innings, preferably with an option.

11 minutes ago, AnythingO&#x27;s said:

So with decreased stuff and a $5M contract why not try to push him to Norfolk? If he clears he can get in shape there and we can promote another arm to eat innings, preferably with an option.

He has more than 5 years of service time. He will just refuse to be assigned to Norfolk, take his $5 Million, then go try to sign with some other team to double dip. Same as Aaron Hicks just did.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The Mets left him off their playoff roster, and yet Elias still signed him. Didn't make sense then and how he has pitched or not pitched was completely predictable. Chris Bassit will be pitching in the playoffs for Toronto, while Givens, Irwin and Frazier who cost the O's more $$$ will be watching.

He still averaged 10ks per 9 innings last season which is just slightly off what he has done for his career.  His numbers were fine last year to warrant the signing but he doesn’t look healthy right now.  Maybe rushed him back to fast.  

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He has more than 5 years of service time. He will just refuse to be assigned to Norfolk, take his $5 Million, then go try to sign with some other team to double dip. Same as Aaron Hicks just did.

He won't be the first bad bullpen contract this club has been forced to eat. Hate to even recall the litany of busts signed with wasted bucks, back in the dark days. 

6 minutes ago, now said:

He won't be the first bad bullpen contract this club has been forced to eat. Hate to even recall the litany of busts signed with wasted bucks, back in the dark days. 

Maybe we can bundle him with a draft pick and get a couple of former college pitchers that were taken in the 16th round?

27 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Most likely Givens is headed for a trip to the IL where hopefully he is locked in a room with a treadmill for a couple weeks. For the reasons you mentioned, I don't see the Orioles trying to risk passing him through waivers and they aren't going eat his contract yet.

That could change post all star break if Givens is still terrible.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm not trying to get out of paying him, I just want to get him off the roster so he can get in playing shape whether it is conditioning or shaking off the rust. If we can get him fixed in AAA he can be a valuable asset later this year.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO&#x27;s said:

I'm not trying to get out of paying him, I just want to get him off the roster so he can get in playing shape whether it is conditioning or shaking off the rust. If we can get him fixed in AAA he can be a valuable asset later this year.

Why would they put him on the 26 man roster if he wasn't ready?