Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But now they do?

They could have kept him on the IL if they thought his fitness was an issue.  They didn't.

I don't think fitness is sufficient to put or keep a guy on the IL. That falls under the category of generalized sucking which would surely be opposed by MLBPA. That would be ripe for abuse if true. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But now they do?

They could have kept him on the IL if they thought his fitness was an issue.  They didn't.

Sorry for the late response but absent a "new" injury or setback, you are going to have to tell me how they could have kept him on the IL or extended his rehab period cause I really don't know how they could, absent pothole of course.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Most likely Givens is headed for a trip to the IL where hopefully he is locked in a room with a treadmill for a couple weeks. For the reasons you mentioned, I don't see the Orioles trying to risk passing him through waivers and they aren't going eat his contract yet.

That could change post all star break if Givens is still terrible.

I think he ate the contract.....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, moderately concerned.  36% of the adult population in the US hits the mark for obese.  The medical community is not "very concerned" about a third of the population.

Oh no?   I’d say it’s a big problem. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh no?   I’d say it’s a big problem. 

Let me clarify.

They are very concerned about a third of the population being obese.  They are moderately concerned about individual members of the population that are obese.  They are not going to be very concerned about an otherwise healthy and active 33 year old that's put on some weight.

I was in a lot worse shape than Givens a few years ago and I wouldn't say my doctor was very concerned.

Givens is rich. Like Marvin Hagler said, "It's hard to get up at 5am to do roadwork when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." He did it anyways. 

Typically I dont care too much about a players conditioning unless they play SS or 2B. Its baseball, they're hardly the worlds greatest athletes. That said, I think even baseball has some conditioning requirements otherwise you're performance will suffer. Hes just eating way too much food.

2 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Givens is rich. Like Marvin Hagler said, "It's hard to get up at 5am to do roadwork when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." He did it anyways. 

Typically I dont care too much about a players conditioning unless they play SS or 2B. Its baseball, they're hardly the worlds greatest athletes. That said, I think even baseball has some conditioning requirements otherwise you're performance will suffer. Hes just eating way too much food.

I don't think we know near enough to be making statements as if we are sure of his work ethic or eating habits.

I'll also say it's an advantageous to be fit, that is true if you play Basketball, Baseball or Bowl.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think we know near enough to be making statements as if we are sure of his work ethic or eating habits.

I'll also say it's an advantageous to be fit, that is true if you play Basketball, Baseball or Bowl.

Baseball is primarily a technique and skill sport. Yes fitness is an advantage, but not that much of an advantage. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let me clarify.

They are very concerned about a third of the population being obese.  They are moderately concerned about individual members of the population that are obese.  They are not going to be very concerned about an otherwise healthy and active 33 year old that's put on some weight.

I was in a lot worse shape than Givens a few years ago and I wouldn't say my doctor was very concerned.

So you’re saying your available tomorrow?

42 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Baseball is primarily a technique and skill sport. Yes fitness is an advantage, but not that much of an advantage. 

Fitness/athleticism is a huge advantage in baseball and a major separator in who does and does not become a pro. 

Now, is it more possible to succeed in baseball with a less fit physique than in some other sports? For sure. A David Ortiz body could never be a pro soccer player for example. 

But those are outlying players and as a general rule fitness is absolutely an advantage, and the pros are the pros in part because they had that advantage.